EGR valve

haz-mat19

This is for my Dad's truck, he just had the EGR cooler replaced about a month ago. About three months ago the EGR valve was removed and cleaned. Now the dealer is saying that the valve is clogged again. I am confused how it has gotten clogged in three months with a bone stock truck. Is this normal, he has about had it with this truck. It is an '05 with an intake and cat back exhaust, has never had a programmer of any kind on it. The dealer want $500 for a "EGR cleaning". Is this a normal thing that he is going to deal with from now on. And he is not up to put a delete kit on, I have already suggested it

Is it throwing a code, or running poorly? If not I’d say leave it alone.

If it’s just the EGR valve causing it, I’d buy the Ford pulling tool and clean it yourself. A $500 EGR cleaning every 3 months is a bit silly, not to mention it puts your truck out of commission for a day or so (assuming they use the cleaning chemicals throughout the whole intake manifold).

You shouldn’t have to clean them that often, but no matter what they get dirty (EGR valve, cooler, and pretty much the whole intake).

I understand why he wouldn’t want to do an EGR delete (California may be checking for deletes and what-not in the near future), so those are just about your only options. I’m sure some of the 6.0 gurus on here will chime in...

x2 on the running condition?

Mine clogged up on me once, was beyond 100% clogged, literally I couldn't see the top passage until 5 minutes of cleaning it with a brush...

There are many ways of removing the valve, I personally use 2 pry bars, unscrew the valve, and rotate it a bit counterclockwise and put one bare in on the drivers side and the other on the passenger side and lift up with the left side bar while rotating the right side bar for uplift pressure and it should pop right out.

Another method that sounded good was similar to rotating it and then wrapping some wire, bailing wire, or copper electrical wire or anything, then then using a big pry bar against the alternator case and it should pop right out.

The gasket kit is maybe $5, and honestly isn't needed if your careful, but cheap insurance and such.

Here is a good article on cleaning the valve, Diesel Technician Society

most certainly don't pay someone that much money for it, its maybe a 30 minute job if you take your time and don't break a sweat in 95° weather.

Thanks guys, His truck was smoking a lot for a stock truck is why he took it in, it has alway gotten bad mileage. We stopped by on the way home, they already had it out. It was completely blocked with what looked like tar. I just don't get how it was cleaned two months ago and now it is completely 100% blocked. I don't know what he is going to do, my quess would be to have the system cleaned. I hope it works, he is on his last legs with this thing. Kepp you posted, thanks again.

My local dealer just replaced the EGR valve on my 07 under the 5yr/100,000 mile engine warranty (I'm out of the 3/36 as I have over 44,000 miles on the truck).

I am guessing it is out of warranty if they wanted to charge $500 to clean it, if its still under warranty then I guess ya can let them do what they want as long as you can afford the truck being down.

Does seem odd that it has clogged up that quickly. I have checked mine recently and after 25k miles from the first cleaning and running a race tune (I think the valve is turned off) the valve was a little black but certainly didn't have any build up on it.

It would set a check engine light but could probably just disconnect the valve and see how it runs, but seems like might be something else causing excess soot and such in a stock motor to cause it to plug up that fast. Or delete it all together certainly would be a good move, but will need a tuner to clear the CEL in this spot.

It is under extended warranty, Ford said it was a maintenance issue, I call BS this truck has had every scheduled maintainable since it was new. The dealer was trying to get FORD to pay for it and they said it was either fuel quality, doughtful, or maintenance no way. I see a programmer in the future. Will see how this works, hope it does.

Are you sure they actually cleaned it before, or did they pencil whip it? Hell go buy a new one off ebay and put it in for under 100.00!

Yeah I know he did it. My mechanic was the one that did it, it was not the dealer, that is the only reason I know for sure it was done.

The cooler was replaced about a month ago under warranty, maybe that had something to do with the build up, it was replaced between when it got cleaned and when the cooler was replaced. Seems to run a lot better.

Back