HX35 drive pressures...OUCH

B18B1LS1

I hooked up my drive pressure gauge today and did some testing. The results are what was to be expected, not pretty. At 35 psi of boost my drive pressure was at 50 psi and by 40 psi my drive pressure hit a little over 60. And this is all on an 18.5 cm housing, I cant imagine how bad all those guys with the 12cm have it! Luckily I have this new shiny turbo sitting next to me waiting to be installed :rockwoot:

I did 501 with an HX35/18.5 & stock ex manifold! both were in perfect shape when I removed them to upgrade. (after a BUNCH of 12.20 passes!)
Not sure how I got away with it..... :bigsmile:

so uh how bad do you think my presures are with a bone stock hx 35 at 55-60 psi? *bdh* Thank goodness my new turbo goes on sunday. I inspected my stocker tonight, that this is all but trashed. tons of shaft play and when I spin it it only turns about 1/4-1/2 a turn.:badidea:

Willy91 said:
so uh how bad do you think my presures are with a bone stock hx 35 at 55-60 psi? *bdh* Thank goodness my new turbo goes on sunday. I inspected my stocker tonight, that this is all but trashed. tons of shaft play and when I spin it it only turns about 1/4-1/2 a turn.:badidea:

over 100 psi I bet! what turbo did you go with?

Last edited:
zstroken said:
Remember 12 cm housings are wastegated.

Very true! But think of all the guys who just unplug those wastegates and cap them off using the "more is better" method. I know with my 12cm and the wastegate fully opened it would still push well over 40 psi with my fuel.

Last edited:
B18B1LS1 said:
Very true! But think of all the guys who just unplug those wastegates and cap them off using the "more is better" method. I know with my 12cm and the wastegate fully opened it would still push well over 40 psi with my fuel.

If you put a T3 spacer between the manifold and either a HX35 or 40 turbo it will gate all 6 cylinders......just something think about!

Jim

Jim Fulmer said:
If you put a T3 spacer between the manifold and either a HX35 or 40 turbo it will gate all 6 cylinders......just something think about!

Jim

Where would you get a T3 spaecer?

Just Google it. There are multiple turbo parts stores online, other than that all you will need is longer studs.

Be aware that over time it will erode the material between the two ports because when the gate opens it will be venting both sides. Every twin setup that I have seen using a S300 series turbo on the top has to use a spacer because the compressor housing will hit the manifold.

Jim

My HX35 12cm wg seemd to bend the needle around the stop peg. This was on a 60 psi gauge running 35 psi boost. This was when I was running M1's, Smarty SW and the TST. I could also peg my 1600 F EGT gauge.

Jim

I've got a 35-40 with the stock exhaust housing right now. I have a housing that has had the divider cut out and a 40 mm wastegate flapper to put on it. Has anyone done a mod like this with a pressure gauge on it to see how much it helps. I plan on trying to run this in a twin setup this summer. It would be nice to not have to put an external wastegate on it with the extra plumbing it it takes. I'm going to get a spacer plate cut so the wastegate will open as far as it can to help the choke area.

I bore the wastegate hole the 1.181(30mm) thru to the other side so front and back are gate. Then use a 1.575(40mm)flapper also. On twins our adaptor plate is 3/4 thick and is machined out on the back side so the flapper will move as far out of the way as it can. I will post some pics of them this week. They are being machined right now. We have also built a HX-35 to pull in the work stock class that has a 64mm comp wheel, 71mm turbin wheel and shaft from an S300. I am working on the exhaust housing now, it is a 14cm gated holeset. They said stocking LOOKING turbo.

BigDodge said:
It's only cheating if you get caught!

OR.... if you announce it on the world wide web. LOL Just kiddin... But I think they realize this "Stock Appearing" thing, since they're the one's who stated it. They're quite aware that this happens. "They" being the sanctioning bodies.

Back