Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 2007.5-2013 6.7L
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2020, 05:12 AM   #1
RockinRam96
 
RockinRam96's Avatar

Name: RockinRam96
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Shortsville, NY
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 2,572
2011 Cruise Control

Hey guys!

Just bought this 2011. Truck is immaculate! It was owned by an older gentleman and his wife who wanted to do the camper thing. But they didnít travel to much, it only had 39,824 miles when I picked it up!!

I absolutely love the truck. The only issue I have with it is the cruise control. Going down a hill it will let itself gain around 5 mph, then down shift to try to slow it self down. The. Going up hill it will allow itself to drop 5 mph then again downshift to speed up, speed up well over the set speed and then coast to achieve the set speed.

This drives me nutshell highway speeds it is screaming when it downshifts. My 03 stays at the set speed no matter what. Have had the same trailer loaded with horses and it will maintain 65 mph going up or down any of the hills around.

Is there a way to fix this? Thinking about deleting the EGR and DPF, will a tune help the cruise?

Thanks!

Click the image to open in full size.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
03 Dodge
1986 Freightliner FLC 12064T Caterpillar 3406B
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:45 AM   #2
RD TRCTR
 
RD TRCTR's Avatar

Name: RD TRCTR
Title: Diesels, Burn Outs & Tits
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: MI
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 508
I don't believe cruise control is editable in EFILive (or EZLynk).

You may want to start by seeing what calibration is on the truck and seeing if a new calibration exists.

FWIW, controlling CC within 5 mph up or down a grade may have met program requirements when the truck was developed... I worked on a program five years ago where the targets were plus and minus 8 mph...
__________________
2014 2500
2006 2500
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:43 AM   #3
biggy238
 
biggy238's Avatar

Name: biggy238
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Just North of Wrong
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 8,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD TRCTR View Post
I don't believe cruise control is editable in EFILive (or EZLynk).

You may want to start by seeing what calibration is on the truck and seeing if a new calibration exists.

FWIW, controlling CC within 5 mph up or down a grade may have met program requirements when the truck was developed... I worked on a program five years ago where the targets were plus and minus 8 mph...
I've always wondered what the instantaneous (radians?) variance was on a loaded power train when the vehicle hits something like an expansion joint or pothole. Hysteresis is a very real part of tuning that never seems to get much discussion

Sent from my motorola one action using Tapatalk
__________________
Quote:
People tend to be tribal
05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 6.4L cummins Swapped
-A Truck has no Name
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 12:02 PM   #4
RockinRam96
 
RockinRam96's Avatar

Name: RockinRam96
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Shortsville, NY
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 2,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD TRCTR View Post
I don't believe cruise control is editable in EFILive (or EZLynk).

You may want to start by seeing what calibration is on the truck and seeing if a new calibration exists.

FWIW, controlling CC within 5 mph up or down a grade may have met program requirements when the truck was developed... I worked on a program five years ago where the targets were plus and minus 8 mph...

It just drives me nuts all the shifting it does. And quite honestly makes me a little car sick. Ha ha

Guess Iíll just have to drive with my foot.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
03 Dodge
1986 Freightliner FLC 12064T Caterpillar 3406B
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 01:26 PM   #5
Empty_Pockets
 
Empty_Pockets's Avatar

Name: Empty_Pockets
Title: Undercover Epa agent
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Va wv line
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 643
Welcome to the 68rfe lol
__________________
NIC R
2004 LB7 CC Short Flatbed/Stock..ish Daily/Tow
2012 CCSB Cummins/Built engine/48re swap/Street driven Race/Puller.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:00 PM   #6
CorneliusRox
 
CorneliusRox's Avatar

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Status: Here
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 4,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Pockets View Post
Welcome to the 68rfe lol
I don't know about that. My '10 w/ 68RFE definitely doesn't do that.

I wonder if OP has the original CAL and mine has been updated at some point during one of it's recalls.
It's also not a bad idea to get all the modules flashed once in a while since they seem to develop issues all on their own over time. Just make sure you take your tuner off first or it can write over it and the turner will be 'locked'.
__________________
Corey - BSME
Thumper - '97 12V Michigan Rust Bucket
Ares - '10 Rust-Free Family Hauler
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:08 PM   #7
Empty_Pockets
 
Empty_Pockets's Avatar

Name: Empty_Pockets
Title: Undercover Epa agent
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Va wv line
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinRam96 View Post
It just drives me nuts all the shifting it does.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I meant to quote that the first time. Every 68rfe ive ever drove or ridden in seems likes its stuck in a loop of never ending shifting lol.
__________________
NIC R
2004 LB7 CC Short Flatbed/Stock..ish Daily/Tow
2012 CCSB Cummins/Built engine/48re swap/Street driven Race/Puller.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 06:45 AM   #8
RD TRCTR
 
RD TRCTR's Avatar

Name: RD TRCTR
Title: Diesels, Burn Outs & Tits
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: MI
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggy238 View Post
I've always wondered what the instantaneous (radians?) variance was on a loaded power train when the vehicle hits something like an expansion joint or pothole. Hysteresis is a very real part of tuning that never seems to get much discussion

Sent from my motorola one action using Tapatalk
, getting calibrators and supervisors to understand hysteresis and how to actually calibrate the P and I gains of a PID controller is frustrating. Most people just turn knobs to solve the situation they have and hope performance for a different scenario doesn't grenade. Many calibrations are a house built of crackers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneliusRox View Post
I don't know about that. My '10 w/ 68RFE definitely doesn't do that.

I wonder if OP has the original CAL and mine has been updated at some point during one of it's recalls.
It's also not a bad idea to get all the modules flashed once in a while since they seem to develop issues all on their own over time. Just make sure you take your tuner off first or it can write over it and the turner will be 'locked'.
68 performance is very calibration dependent. I've ridden in 68's that wouldn't downshift if their life depended on it. I have ridden in others that downshifted when the driver sneezed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Pockets View Post
I meant to quote that the first time. Every 68rfe ive ever drove or ridden in seems likes its stuck in a loop of never ending shifting lol.
Empty driving with a 68 is ok. Towing it blows. Towing up grades with switchbacks on a 2 lane with a 55 mph speed limit down right sucks.

I bought my 14 truck for the full size back seat and as an auto for the wife to drive. The full size back seat gets more use than expected. The wife has driven once... I am ready to sell or trade towards a fourth gen manual. When I tow, I tow heavy. And it sucks to always have the life of your trans on your mind when towing.
__________________
2014 2500
2006 2500
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 10:12 AM   #9
CorneliusRox
 
CorneliusRox's Avatar

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Status: Here
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 4,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD TRCTR View Post
It sucks to always have the life of your trans on your mind when towing.
I do agree with this. Granted I'm at ~205,000 miles on this trans, I tow 10,000-17,000 lbs and I'm always thinking in the back of my head how bad it'll suck if I get stranded somewhere because of the trans.
She shifts great, drives well, the fluid looks good, but the mileage makes me think it'll go at some point. I wonder if I'd feel better in an Aisin. I think I'm going to try one on the next truck.

For reference, it's been on H&S Over-Drive TCM tuning @ 170psi line pressure for most of its life and tow on the tow tune like a normal person (not like a hotrod).
__________________
Corey - BSME
Thumper - '97 12V Michigan Rust Bucket
Ares - '10 Rust-Free Family Hauler

Last edited by CorneliusRox; 07-07-2020 at 10:14 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 01:25 PM   #10
RockinRam96
 
RockinRam96's Avatar

Name: RockinRam96
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Shortsville, NY
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 2,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneliusRox View Post
I do agree with this. Granted I'm at ~205,000 miles on this trans, I tow 10,000-17,000 lbs and I'm always thinking in the back of my head how bad it'll suck if I get stranded somewhere because of the trans.
She shifts great, drives well, the fluid looks good, but the mileage makes me think it'll go at some point. I wonder if I'd feel better in an Aisin. I think I'm going to try one on the next truck.

For reference, it's been on H&S Over-Drive TCM tuning @ 170psi line pressure for most of its life and tow on the tow tune like a normal person (not like a hotrod).

Did the tune seem to make it any better.

I am comparing this to my my 03 with a tuner and my dads 05 stock. My dads 05 will shift all around my 03 maintains 65 mph up hill and 65 mph downhill anywhere I have taken it here in the northeast. My dads on the other hand will downshift.

Just wondering if a little power added and tuning will improve drive-ability.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
03 Dodge
1986 Freightliner FLC 12064T Caterpillar 3406B
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 01:54 PM   #11
CorneliusRox
 
CorneliusRox's Avatar

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Status: Here
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 4,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinRam96 View Post
Did the tune seem to make it any better.

I am comparing this to my my 03 with a tuner and my dads 05 stock. My dads 05 will shift all around my 03 maintains 65 mph up hill and 65 mph downhill anywhere I have taken it here in the northeast. My dads on the other hand will downshift.

Just wondering if a little power added and tuning will improve drive-ability.
You're comparing a 47re (2003), 48re (2005) to a 68rfe (2007.5+). The 47/48 are pretty similar, but the 68rfe is a very different animal.

To answer your question, yes it did make a big difference in all things transmission and I'm very happy with it.

I believe you'd be best off looking into some valvebody work to get the 47re or48re shifting how you'd like.
__________________
Corey - BSME
Thumper - '97 12V Michigan Rust Bucket
Ares - '10 Rust-Free Family Hauler
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 07:56 PM   #12
RockinRam96
 
RockinRam96's Avatar

Name: RockinRam96
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Shortsville, NY
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 2,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneliusRox View Post
You're comparing a 47re (2003), 48re (2005) to a 68rfe (2007.5+). The 47/48 are pretty similar, but the 68rfe is a very different animal.

To answer your question, yes it did make a big difference in all things transmission and I'm very happy with it.

I believe you'd be best off looking into some valvebody work to get the 47re or48re shifting how you'd like.

Ha ha you must have miss understood. I want my 68rfe to shift like my 48re. Granted my 48re has a Firepunk stage three rebuild and a shift kit.

The only thing I donít like about the 68rfe is all the shifting around it does. It only bothers me from a longevity and reliability standpoint. Iím not heavy 9,000 lbs max, and it canít maintain 65 mph on the highway without shifting?! This thing is supposed to have plenty more power and torque than my 5.9 and my 5.9 can maintain 65 mph without shifting on any hill I have come across pulling the same trailer and same load.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
03 Dodge
1986 Freightliner FLC 12064T Caterpillar 3406B
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:56 AM   #13
CorneliusRox
 
CorneliusRox's Avatar

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Status: Here
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 4,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinRam96 View Post
Ha ha you must have miss understood. I want my 68rfe to shift like my 48re. Granted my 48re has a Firepunk stage three rebuild and a shift kit.

The only thing I don’t like about the 68rfe is all the shifting around it does. It only bothers me from a longevity and reliability standpoint. I’m not heavy 9,000 lbs max, and it can’t maintain 65 mph on the highway without shifting?! This thing is supposed to have plenty more power and torque than my 5.9 and my 5.9 can maintain 65 mph without shifting on any hill I have come across pulling the same trailer and same load.
Ahhh ha ha yeah, I didn't understand what you meant.
I often tow 10,000 lbs and hit cruise control at 78mph. It takes a pretty steep hill for the trans to downshift. It's rare enough that it usually scares me when I'm relaxed and all of a sudden it slams down to 4th gear and get loud.
I'd recommend getting some sort of trans tuning. I think it's a little bit better for daily driving, but it's a lot better for towing.

And just to clarify, I've never been in a 68rfe that shifts like my built 47re. Every gear change has a little bit of flare and slipping into the next gear. I'm sure it's there for comfort and to save driveline components. I do like that fact that it's softer than the instant slam you get with a 47re, especially when I've got my wife and kids with.
__________________
Corey - BSME
Thumper - '97 12V Michigan Rust Bucket
Ares - '10 Rust-Free Family Hauler

Last edited by CorneliusRox; 07-08-2020 at 10:57 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 12:17 AM   #14
Empty_Pockets
 
Empty_Pockets's Avatar

Name: Empty_Pockets
Title: Undercover Epa agent
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Va wv line
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD TRCTR View Post
Towing up grades with switchbacks on a 2 lane with a 55 mph speed limit down right sucks. .
You just described the road to my house n shop. Maybe thats why i don't like them. 7 to 9% grade and twisty most of the way lol.

Imo GOOD tuning is a massive improvement on a stock or built 68. Everyone i know other than 2 guys have just had terrible luck with them. If i ever end up with one it will stay delete stock power only and when it dies send it to randys
__________________
NIC R
2004 LB7 CC Short Flatbed/Stock..ish Daily/Tow
2012 CCSB Cummins/Built engine/48re swap/Street driven Race/Puller.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:09 AM   #15
RockinRam96
 
RockinRam96's Avatar

Name: RockinRam96
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Shortsville, NY
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 2,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Pockets View Post
Imo GOOD tuning is a massive improvement on a stock or built 68. Everyone i know other than 2 guys have just had terrible luck with them. If i ever end up with one it will stay delete stock power only and when it dies send it to randys
Thatís exactly my thought. I have plenty of power for what I am doing. So a full delete and a stock tune to look over the delete is what I am looking for.

Who can I get a tune for my trans from? Not really interested in something like an Anteater where I have to tune it. I will just get to frustrated. Any insight?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
03 Dodge
1986 Freightliner FLC 12064T Caterpillar 3406B
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:29 AM   #16
Empty_Pockets
 
Empty_Pockets's Avatar

Name: Empty_Pockets
Title: Undercover Epa agent
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Va wv line
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 643
Ive been happy with the trucks ive tuned with hpp/ctt. I wasnt impressed with korys or anarchy tunes for them. Ive heard alot of good about optimal weldings tunes but ive never road in a truck hes tuned so i dont have first hand experience with them.
__________________
NIC R
2004 LB7 CC Short Flatbed/Stock..ish Daily/Tow
2012 CCSB Cummins/Built engine/48re swap/Street driven Race/Puller.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:56 AM.

 


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2006 - 2020, CompetitionDiesel.com
all information found on this site is property of www.competitiondiesel.com