Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 2007.5-2013 6.7L
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2021, 08:36 PM   #21
Got Smoke?

Name: Got Smoke?
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc View Post
You have one dead as shit battery tied directly into your one good battery. Fucking it all up
I understand what you’re saying, but if the truck will start on one battery and the TIPM, ECM, ETC is all on the drivers side I just don’t get why it won’t run/start correctly?

Never claimed to be good with electrical. Lol

1997 2500 Jokerfab cyl head, PDR street cam, FDS benched pump, DFI 5x18's, HX35 63/67, FirePunk 47RE & anteater.

2003 Jetta TDI 5spd "DZL WGN" lot's of mods

Old 09-30-2021, 06:38 AM   #22
Snedge

Name: Snedge
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Smoke? View Post
I understand what you’re saying, but if the truck will start on one battery and the TIPM, ECM, ETC is all on the drivers side I just don’t get why it won’t run/start correctly?

Never claimed to be good with electrical. Lol
Parasitic draw is a cool phrase.

I believe the extra strain on the alternator/ECM caused by a needy battery is what you're dealing with. I'm no electrician. Unfortunately, the gear head in me has been forced to lean on the old multimeter so much in the past few decades, I'm actually beginning to feel more like an electrician than a grease monkey.

Old 09-30-2021, 08:47 AM   #23
BigPapa

Name: BigPapa
Title: Truckless
Member`s Gallery
I suggest replacing both batteries and the crossover cable.

From what I understand, the alternator is directly connected to the RH battery and battery level is sensed from the LH battery. With a bad crossover cable the batteries are basically standing alone. The alternator is trying to charge the LH battery through the RH battery that’s not connected to the other.

2003 Avalanche Z71

Common sense is like deodorant. The people that need it most never use it.

Last edited by BigPapa; 09-30-2021 at 08:52 AM.

Old 09-30-2021, 06:46 PM   #24
Got Smoke?

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapa View Post
I suggest replacing both batteries and the crossover cable.

From what I understand, the alternator is directly connected to the RH battery and battery level is sensed from the LH battery. With a bad crossover cable the batteries are basically standing alone. The alternator is trying to charge the LH battery through the RH battery that’s not connected to the other.
I’m so pissed off at this crap.

Got passenger side battery warrantied today put it in, and it immediately does the same thing starts and dies. Start again and it’s fine. Drive 1/2 mile down the road stop go in grab something and it takes 7-8 attempts of starting to stay running.

Had a CEL at that point came home scanned it and it was a P0562 System Low Voltage

I checked voltage at the passenger side battery last night, and on the end of the crossover cable separated on the drivers side and it was the same no drop. It’s a homemade cable also. Going to call and get the other warrantied tomorrow he brought two out to the truck and my mouth reacted before my brain and told him I only needed the one. Where did you get a new crossover cable Scott?

1997 2500 Jokerfab cyl head, PDR street cam, FDS benched pump, DFI 5x18's, HX35 63/67, FirePunk 47RE & anteater.

Last edited by Got Smoke?; 09-30-2021 at 06:51 PM.

Old 09-30-2021, 08:43 PM   #25
BigPapa

Name: BigPapa
Title: Truckless
Member`s Gallery
I made it. I went to the mil spec terminals so I had to put eyes on the cables. When I cut the end off the crossover cable it was corroded 3”-4” under the insulation, so I pitched it and made a new one.

Click the image to open in full size.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 71C11C9C-0F0D-45D0-8AFC-9DAB2DDCF1D6.jpeg (262.1 KB, 0 views)

2003 Avalanche Z71

Common sense is like deodorant. The people that need it most never use it.

Old 10-02-2021, 02:08 PM   #26
Got Smoke?

Member`s Gallery
Drove the truck to work yesterday took two attempt's to start and stay running both when I left with my kids in the morning, also when I left work yesterday afternoon.

Went by got my other battery warrantied out cleared codes in the parking lot, made one other stop and came home. Intentionally cut the truck on and off a few times once I got home no other problems and no low voltage code.

Closed Thread