Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 2007.5-2013 6.7L
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2021, 08:50 AM   #1
Daniel74

Name: Daniel74
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Unknown tune

Hello, I'm new to diesels and bought a 2007.5 Ram 3500 with 6.7 earlier this year. It is fully deleted and has an unknown tune and did not come with the tuner.

Runs great but i got the dreaded "Service required, See dealer now" message. I tried to delete with higher end code reader but no luck. tried all the variations of the brake, gas pedal reset, no joy. Finally decided i needed to reload a tune to the truck, so i purchased a used smarty jr67 and am waiting for it to arrive. Yes it is blue raced and ME ready. My question is....will it load over the unknown tune? if not, how do i get it back to stock without having to go to the dealer, and does anyone have the ME download they can email me so i have a backup copy should anything happen with the smarty JR?

thanks in advance for any light that can shed on the topic.

Old 12-22-2021, 08:55 AM   #2
4x4dually

Name: 4x4dually
Title: Moderator
Member`s Gallery
When the overhead says "service required - see dealer" does the instrument cluster say "DPF FULL"?

I have an '09. I'll get that code about every 6 months or so. The ECM times out between flashed due to a missing regen cycle. I just reflash the ECM and it goes away again. I'm guessing that's your issue.

Readers will not clear that code that I'm aware of.

"There are people far less intelligent than you making a living doing this stuff." - Jeff Mumau

Old 12-23-2021, 08:39 AM   #3
RD TRCTR

Name: RD TRCTR
Title: Diesels, Burn Outs & Tits
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel74 View Post
Hello, I'm new to diesels and bought a 2007.5 Ram 3500 with 6.7 earlier this year. It is fully deleted and has an unknown tune and did not come with the tuner.

Runs great but i got the dreaded "Service required, See dealer now" message. I tried to delete with higher end code reader but no luck. tried all the variations of the brake, gas pedal reset, no joy. Finally decided i needed to reload a tune to the truck, so i purchased a used smarty jr67 and am waiting for it to arrive. Yes it is blue raced and ME ready. My question is....will it load over the unknown tune? if not, how do i get it back to stock without having to go to the dealer, and does anyone have the ME download they can email me so i have a backup copy should anything happen with the smarty JR?

thanks in advance for any light that can shed on the topic.
Yes, once you flash the ECM, whatever tune that is currently there is gone forever.

A Smarty tune is an ok tune, better can be had with EFILive.

The message that you're receiving is on the overhead console and can be permanently disabled if the tune is written correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dually View Post
When the overhead says "service required - see dealer" does the instrument cluster say "DPF FULL"?

I have an '09. I'll get that code about every 6 months or so. The ECM times out between flashed due to a missing regen cycle. I just reflash the ECM and it goes away again. I'm guessing that's your issue.

Readers will not clear that code that I'm aware of.
Are you using a handheld programmer?

Old 12-23-2021, 09:14 AM   #4
weazel

Name: weazel
Title: 5th gear killer
Member`s Gallery
Also depending on the mileage on the truck, it may be time to swap out that CCV filter on top of the valve cover..

Old 12-23-2021, 02:13 PM   #5
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
I've had the service now message on the overhead for as long as I can remember.
Truck isn't in limp mode is it? If not I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 12-23-2021, 09:22 PM   #6
95cummins5.9

Name: 95cummins5.9
Title: Old man ***** gossiper
Member`s Gallery
I have the same, drives me nuts. Keep truckin.

I don't own anything stock, from engines to boobies I've modded them all. Life is too short to live with mediocre chit.

Old 12-27-2021, 07:02 AM   #7
4x4dually

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD TRCTR View Post
Are you using a handheld programmer?
No, I'm using an H&S MiniMutt. It's MiniMaxx software loaded into XRT Pro hardware to save space but still have the display. I doubt there are too many around like it.

Click the image to open in full size.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2658.jpg (423.2 KB, 0 views)

Old 12-27-2021, 09:32 AM   #8
Daniel74

Name: Daniel74
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
I bought the smarty JR and it was delivered. I asked several times if it was unlocked and he said yes....got it ....and its vin locked .
I'm returning to him and he said he still has truck so hopefully this works out. He swears the guy who did the tune to the new tuner said it was unlocked.

Trust is hard to come by.

Before i sent it back, i went into the dtc mode to clear any codes and it didnt find any the first time, did it again and it flashed the overhead and cleared it...at least so far. It didn't give me code so i don't know what or how it did it, but its been gone for 4 days.

the seller seems to want to fix the issue with the smarty, so fingers crossed. I still want to have a tuner on hand in case anything happens to the tune or ecm.

Old 12-28-2021, 08:17 AM   #9
sootie

Name: sootie
Title: .....like a BAWSS
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dually View Post
No, I'm using an H&S MiniMutt. It's MiniMaxx software loaded into XRT Pro hardware to save space but still have the display. I doubt there are too many around like it.

Click the image to open in full size.
What's the point of that?

The software is the same between Black Maxx/ Mini Maxx/ XRT Pro

Also, the mini maxx itself is smaller than the XRT Pro ...

Old 12-28-2021, 09:04 AM   #10
4x4dually

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sootie View Post
Also, the mini maxx itself is smaller than the XRT Pro ...
Are you sure the XRT isn't smaller? That's why I went with it's case but I still wanted the gauges of the maxx.

Closed Thread