Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > General Diesel Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Tech Farm equipment, Medium Duty, Big Rigs, and other General discussion can be found in here.

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2022, 04:57 PM   #1
gwhammy

Name: gwhammy
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
timing cover leak 12 valve

I put this here just because it's in an excavator. I've got a rotary pump 12 valve that's leaking real bad between the timing cover and block as best as I can tell. If by chance it has just come loose is there anyway to fix it without pulling the cam. It's leaking right behind the pump as best as I can tell. I'm guessing the timing cover is cracked but hopefully not.

Old 03-15-2022, 07:48 PM   #2
BigPapa

Name: BigPapa
Title: Truckless
Member`s Gallery
A buddy and I just did this to my truck a few weeks ago. If you’re going to remove the gear housing you either have to pull the cam or pull the gear off the cam.

2003 Avalanche Z71

Common sense is like deodorant. The people that need it most never use it.

Old 03-16-2022, 06:45 AM   #3
Snedge

Name: Snedge
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
The cam gear removal tool we use requires that you slide the cam forward enough to install the puller, so it's damn near like doing all the work to remove the cam, minus pulling the radiator. Installing the cam gear with the cam in the engine is a pain in the ass to boot. So, if it's a major undertaking to remove the radiator from the excavator, it might be worth looking into. Otherwise, I'd recommend just getting the radiator out of the way.

If you can find the crack, and get it really clean, there's always epoxy. I don't adivse that as you'll eventually need to fix it right. The housing could be cracked due to several reasons. Among those, the most likely are
-Loose bolts in gear housing
-Dowell pin came out
-Air compressor/hyd. pump came loose and stressed the housing.

I'd just bite the bullet and tear it apart.

Old 03-16-2022, 04:10 PM   #4
gwhammy

Member`s Gallery
It's leaking about the same place the last one I replaced. I'm thinking cracked as much oil as it's loosing. Not to bad of a job big oil cooler radiator and air conditioner condenser. Actually has decent room beside the pump but it is kind of down in a hole. Good flat area to lay on doing all that thou. All it has is the injection pump on the cover. I'm going to fix it right, plan on this machine lasting me out.

Last edited by gwhammy; 03-16-2022 at 04:12 PM.

Old 03-23-2022, 06:36 PM   #5
gwhammy

Member`s Gallery
Tappet cover on side of motor really hard to see and it was leaking at the front behind the injection pump. Lucked out on this one.

Old 03-23-2022, 07:30 PM   #6
Meyers Farms

Name: Meyers Farms
Member`s Gallery
Damn, it seems like a rarity when it’s less than what you expect. You must be living right. Good for you!

Old 03-24-2022, 07:38 AM   #7
Snedge

Name: Snedge
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwhammy View Post
Tappet cover on side of motor really hard to see and it was leaking at the front behind the injection pump. Lucked out on this one.
Nice.

Closed Thread