Smallest radiator and intercool that will work?

forget about an intercooler at all if you're space limited. run water/meth and throw the tank in the back of the truck

Frame hasn't been built just yet. Just planning stages and trying to think ahead. Thinking of running a smaller vertical fin IC vs the horizontal (like stock)

Never heard it refer to that. CAI, AC (aftercooler) are what I typically see. Good to know thanks.

Both Cummins and Navistar (Pre-2011 Powerstroke) refers to intercoolers as CAC's in my experience.

Don't think you will get anywhere near the cooling you would need, unless you used a huge compressor.

X2. Not saying you couldn't do it, but That'd be a tall order. It'd be putting a salamander heater in a freezer and expecting it to be cold.

Parts so far

Ford 9

oQIMVUt.jpg

1950 ford F1 Cab
1bfm0tt.jpg

Motor
Uf6IIpY.jpg

r89aN9D.jpg

Cleaning up the block

qc4MNns.jpg

qUjZzXJ.jpg

gNA0Mhy.jpg

In for the info, still sorting out the space issues on my 53 Ford.

Man you got a lot more room under the hood of that f100! haha

I assume you're both struggling with the space fore/aft as the engine bay on my 59 f100 looks too short for a 6bt.

The nose on the F1 is pretty narrow too. I think you could use just about any radiator you can fit in there and be fine for what you're doing.

I assume you're both struggling with the space fore/aft as the engine bay on my 59 f100 looks too short for a 6bt.

The nose on the F1 is pretty narrow too. I think you could use just about any radiator you can fit in there and be fine for what you're doing.

Style of rat rod...fenderless. I have lots of room but don't want a parachute on the front..lol Found a cool tractor grill and a Diamler grill I want to use.

jeep-willys-village-customs-airsociety-rat-rod-bagged-air-suspension-015-600x243.jpg

Man you got a lot more room under the hood of that f100! haha

Yes mine is much wider than yours for sure. Those 40's front ends are narrow!

That's the issue for sure. I'd really like to avoid a radiator in the bed. I'm possibly going to use the stock 53 radiator and I think I can squeeze an intercooler in front of it. Obviously there is some serious firewall modification going on.

Style of rat rod...fenderless. I have lots of room but don't want a parachute on the front..lol Found a cool tractor grill and a Diamler grill I want to use.

jeep-willys-village-customs-airsociety-rat-rod-bagged-air-suspension-015-600x243.jpg

That will be a sweet ride for sure. I'm not looking to go that extreme with mine. I'm using the truck in my avatar and am planning on keeping the complete body intact.

some rads that come to mind would be for 50s V8 cars, like a 55-57 chevy. they're probably <24" wide and the hose connections would be in good location(top middle and bottom passenger corner). also extremely common in the aftermarket.

i wouldn't mess with an intercooler in something with no fenders, hood, or room and something that won't ever see a load. much easier to run lines from a pump/tank in the bed for water/meth for when you want to get froggy.

edit: and you could disguise the water/meth tank as a little keg or something. mount the pump on the frame rail. no one would know.

Last edited:
Back