Trans temp.

blackcloudCTD95

What do your trucks run at? I use to run around 177 and it would go up to 180-185 on a hot day beating it
Since I removed my heat exchanger when I did my twins it now will go up to 180-186 driving normal in traffic on a hot day. I notice I have to lock the converter more to help cool it.

Is there a way to relocate the heat exchanger ?

Thats normal for it to run hotter with no heat exchanger. You can relocate it or alot of people just plumb in a remote cooler under the bed or something. Personally, I have the whole stock system and a remote derale cooler with a fan mounted behind my front bumper. it runs 150-160 down the road and I've never seen higher than about 185 towing in town in the summer.

Last edited:
I measure pan temp in both of my trucks. The 12v hovers around 150*-180* pan temp in town. 120* highway. Plenty of ways to relocate the heat exchanger. Just get creative.

I should of stated I don't have a dodge truck but building one using a 47rh. I would run something like a big B&M cooler but might keep the fluid to cool which is not good.

Go to a junk yard and get a stock one. They're expensive brand new, but they work a lot better than most aftermarket ones. I believe the same one was used from 95-07 (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

I have 2 derale DER-15960's mounted to the cab with both stock coolers deleted and a shield blocking the top 60% for snow/ice.

My pan temps are 105-120 while cruising with the fans on and get up to 155 in heavy traffic.

I'm not a fan of running a heat exchanger at all as I've seen them rupture inside and mix fluids..I would recommend a details double stack cooler part number 15900 and your stock cooler and that should keep temps down! Then you don't have to worry about your trans filling with coolant!

I've seen them rupture inside and mix fluids..

I've never SEEN a 2nd Gen exchanger rupture and I can count on one hand the ones I've HEARD about. Now, 3rd Gen is a different story. I wouldn't be worried about it, and as the OP's found, removal is detrimental.

I've never SEEN a 2nd Gen exchanger rupture and I can count on one hand the ones I've HEARD about. Now, 3rd Gen is a different story. I wouldn't be worried about it, and as the OP's found, removal is detrimental.

Same boat. Lots of stories. Never actually seen one.

3rd gen coolers go like hot cakes and they are a pain to do.

I did some looking at the front coolers and the fins are all mushed I'm going to get a new one this week.

yeah, I'm still running my stock one with 305k miles on it. Not worried about it at all.

I once installed a aftermarket derale on my 06 and didn't see one ounce of cooling difference. That was with factory cooler and heat exchanger. I was gonna delete mine but heard it's good for warming the Tranny up and keeping temperature incheck.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Back