Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 94-98 2nd Gen. 12V
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 12:50 PM   #1
dieseldoc09

Name: dieseldoc09
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Need some transmission advise!!

Not sure if I am posting in the correct post so if the admins need to move it please do. I am in the process of putting my 95 power train into my 03 quad cab and along with the swap I am building my compound set up (s360 over HT60). I know I need to at least put in a billet input (have triple disk and DTT Master rebuild kit already installed) and am wondering what route to go. When I grenaded my od planetary a couple years ago I had noticed some pretty severe wear in the od case where the od clutches sit. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures but I did find some similar ones in searching around which I will attempt to post shortly. I plan on using an Anteater or something similar to control the trans in the swap. So for tune-ability purposes would I be better off finding a 47re or 48re so I can make shift changes electronically or just find a new 47rh od housing? Another possibility is I do have a brand new 48re od housing and output shaft but I imagine the won't do me much good with my 47rh main case? What does everyone think??

Old 07-14-2017, 12:55 PM   #2
dieseldoc09

Member`s Gallery
Click the image to open in full size.

Old 07-14-2017, 12:57 PM   #3
dieseldoc09

Member`s Gallery
I surprised myself that I was able to figure out how the post that picture!! The wear in my case was actually a fair amount more severe than this picture.

Old 07-14-2017, 01:08 PM   #4
dieseldoc09

Member`s Gallery
Just realized I still hadn't filled out my sig so here it is.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:43 AM   #5
gman99

Name: gman99
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
I would personally swap out to a 47re od housing. I had to swap my internals to a new case when I spun the sprag on my last transmission. My original od housing had the same severe gouging where the steels contacted the housing. The case I swapped too was lower mileage and in better condition. It seems to be a pretty common issue. Also the od sungear gets pitted pretty bad and causes the majority of od planetary failures. The primary cause is usually not the planetary itself.
98 QCLB 4x4 12V, ARP625+ Studs, 14mm mains NonIC pistons, Ported head, Marine Cam, Hamilton Pushrods and Tappets, BeeHive springs HE351cw over Billet S475, 4KGSK, 5X.018's, 7mm DV's, 24 Degrees Timing, 5" Exhaust, TCS Input, DPC Converter, Firepunk Competition Rebuild Kit

Old 07-19-2017, 12:13 PM   #6
dieseldoc09

Member`s Gallery
Thank you for the reply! The od housing I have is brand new so that would be a plus. As far as controlling the trans then I am assuming I would switch to a re valve body and anteater then? I know the electrical connector is different but can I get the 47re plug in the 47rh case?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Old 07-19-2017, 12:22 PM   #7
dieseldoc09

Member`s Gallery
And as far as the od planetary that was do to a shock load when my rear tires hopped while doing a 1/4 mile run. I have the pictures of the carnage somewhere. It got all of the 48re od internals at that time.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Closed Thread