Air compressor. American made still going to last?

Chris Mallett

12ver Swap Idiot
Tired of chewing up and spitting out cheap 60 gallon compressors. 3 Kobalt units in 2.5 years. Been looking at I/R and Bel Aire models, but then I get pointed towards these.

3 - 25 HP Air Compressors : Piston Air Compressors for Sale : EatonCompressor.com

The specs on these seem great, everything looks like it can be rebuilt, 5 year warranty. Are these still the same quality that we grew up to? I hate to invest the money and it not be a lifelong unit, but also disapprove of purchasing a Chinese unit and when it fails they cannot be rebuilt and I am left with a spare tank.

I have spotted some Quincy compressors that look just like what Harbor Freight has. Are some of them quality and some outsourced for the masses?

I have spotted some Quincy compressors that look just like what Harbor Freight has. Are some of them quality and some outsourced for the masses?

the college i did work for used Quincy, because they didn't have to fix them or replace them every 5 years. Just change the oil.

Northern tool sells them, can't tell you about harbor freight...
I would bet the larger compressors will be just fine for quality for you.

Nope. Maybe if you buy an older one or staright up industrial one, yes. Not the ones you buy from your regular store though
The best priced for what you get now are Bel-aire.

I have searched for older ones for this reason. Kinda why I was shying away from anything with aluminum pump/head. I spotted what looked like better quality in two stage Quincy, but price exceeds the Eaton.

I have an old divelbliss, it is a tank. If you were closer I would trade you for a 60 gallon one. This is a 2 stager. It is just too big, and I don't use air for much more than just inflating tires.

My 18 year old Kaeser has almost 35,000 hours on it right now. I can't complain about a thing.

Quincy compressors are made in Quincy,Il. The machine shop I use to plane heads had pallets of compressors blocks they were finish honing. They are high but will outlast you.

All of these older name brands and compressors don't mean anything for the current production models quailty. Just remember that.

Tired of chewing up and spitting out cheap 60 gallon compressors. 3 Kobalt units in 2.5 years. Been looking at I/R and Bel Aire models, but then I get pointed towards these.

3 - 25 HP Air Compressors : Piston Air Compressors for Sale : EatonCompressor.com

The specs on these seem great, everything looks like it can be rebuilt, 5 year warranty. Are these still the same quality that we grew up to? I hate to invest the money and it not be a lifelong unit, but also disapprove of purchasing a Chinese unit and when it fails they cannot be rebuilt and I am left with a spare tank.

My buddy has a PolarAir/Eaton compressor in his auto shop. He has had it a couple years and working good so far. It replaced his previous $2000 IR compressor crapped out. The owner of Polar Air is a big truck puller.

My buddy has a PolarAir/Eaton compressor in his auto shop. He has had it a couple years and working good so far. It replaced his previous $2000 IR compressor crapped out. The owner of Polar Air is a big truck puller.

Any way to describe the noise level? They advertise very quiet, but so do many other manufacturers. Thanks.

I don't know decibal wise but seems similar to an IR that is 7.5hp 2stage 80 gal. I don't know that you are going to get a new quiet piston compressor. I have heard some older ones that run slow that are fairly quiet but not any new ones.

All Quincy compressors come from the same factory. I installed over 50 of them for HVAC controls and they are by far the longest lasting compressors you can buy. The biggest difference on those are the lower priced ones are splash lubricated and the upper end ones are pressure lubed with an internal oil pump. You can tell at a glance because they have a spin on oil filter on the crankcase. The IR's are garbage. Kaeser are a close second but they kill you on maintence and repair parts. Speedaire's are rebadged Cambell Hausfield junk. Curtis is a good brand also.

After researching Eaton Compressors about 3 years ago I decided against them. Check out the availability of parts in case a rebuild is ever needed and you may find they are not available. Their BOM for their pumps is all over the place and parts were not readily available or easily obtainable.

I have been running Eaton compressors for the last 10 years, I have had very little trouble, parts always easy to get the only trouble Ive had is guys not changing the oil or filter. I have ran several other brands, I have a quincy fixing to go down now and I am changing it to a Eaton as well.

Back