220v Air Compressor Suggestions

Research Quincy brand compressors. Ill never buy another brand again. Very Very quiet compared to box store compressors and have a 50,000 avg hour pump life. The 60 gallon 2 stage unit runs up from 0 PSI to 175 PSI in under 7 minutes. They are a shade over 1000.00 but IMHO well worth the money.

I bought an older 60 gallon Sanborn on CL for $200 and it's tremendous. Kind of wish it were a 2-stage, but it's incredibly quiet. Quincy, Speedaire, Sanborn, older IR's are all great choices. I'd definitely look around in your area, you can often get a steal on an older heavy duty American compressor.

Do a search on the garagejournal.com forum and do some reading. There are loads of threads on older compressors.

Research Quincy brand compressors. Ill never buy another brand again. Very Very quiet compared to box store compressors and have a 50,000 avg hour pump life. The 60 gallon 2 stage unit runs up from 0 PSI to 175 PSI in under 7 minutes. They are a shade over 1000.00 but IMHO well worth the money.

This. Best compressors made for a reciprocating type.

Those Chinese IR's are no better. Sad how quickly a company will sell out their name to make a buck more.

Can't speak to the current quality, but we have had a CH tractor supply 60 gal. for the last 19 years and it's still going strong. It gets used all the time and my dad skipped all maintenance for the first 15 years or so. It is a little on the loud side if you don't have a compressor house. You really need to look at your CFM needs and evaluate from there.

Quincy made are some of the best. I've got a real old one that runs like a top. Good used ones can be had cheap sometimes, I'd probably give 6 to 800 for a good used instead of some of the newer compressors out there.

I got a c-h 60 gal from osh on their no sales tax event, coupled with a display model discount because it was the only one left . I walked out paying 430$ otd .I don't use it to make a living and it will run what ever I need , so no complaints here .

Another vote for Quincy. I searched craigslist for a while and found an 80 gallon with a 2 stage 325 pump. Way more air than I'll ever need but it's super quiet and runs like a top.

Are the older Quincy units solid and I won't need to throw a lot of money into it....if it needs parts or if it needs repairs

The IR is noisy.

Couldn't agree more! One of my IR's is 24 years old I got as a birthday gift and works yet but the pump sounds about ready to go and Ive had the electric motor replaced once in all this time. The other one is only 8 or 9 years old and identical and it scares me just as bad as my real old one. I could have 10 of my Quincys running side by side and turn on one of my old ones and the noise would over power all 10 Quincy ones. My grandfather bought a Quincy before I was born and it still gets used on the farm today....over 40 years ago. My father had told me once that the Army used Quincy as well during Vietnam and that's why he had a Quincy vacuum pump in the barn milkhouse

Run far away from a sears/craftswoman.

I now have a large quincy...BUT still have a 12 year old craftsman 30 gallon 6hp on wheels. That thing has NEVER let me down. It has been hit by my truck, shelving unit has fallen on it, left out in the rain a dozen or so times, snow & freezing rain storms. It's been overheated and abused and never quit working.

One time the little drain valve was leaking on the bottom. I left for Charleston for a long weekend and when I came back the compressor had been left switched on. It was running on & off for 72 hours straight!!

Couldn't agree more! One of my IR's is 24 years old I got as a birthday gift and works yet but the pump sounds about ready to go and Ive had the electric motor replaced once in all this time. The other one is only 8 or 9 years old and identical and it scares me just as bad as my real old one. I could have 10 of my Quincys running side by side and turn on one of my old ones and the noise would over power all 10 Quincy ones. My grandfather bought a Quincy before I was born and it still gets used on the farm today....over 40 years ago. My father had told me once that the Army used Quincy as well during Vietnam and that's why he had a Quincy vacuum pump in the barn milkhouse

The military still specs Quincy on every job I have ever done on a base. That is where I became sold on Quincy, as the abuse they dish out was insane. The National Guard was the worst. Weekend warriors just destroying stuff.

Back