Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 94-98 2nd Gen. 12V
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 08:06 AM   #1
fearthedeere6.7

Name: fearthedeere6.7
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Turbo shutter goin into od.

I really just noticed this since its gotten cool on the morning drive to work and ive had the windows up. when i shift in to od my turbo shutters a bit. Even if im in the throttle the od shift pulls me down to or past 1500 rpm, and my trubo doesnt lite till 1750. Anyway to keep from pulling down that far? Im automatic retarted. Or am i just gonna have to make my turbo come in sooner. im running 5x14s, a dv less than full cut and a hx55 with hx52 hotside. Im still at stock timing because of a tappet gasket like thats getting fixed and i didnt fell like doing timing 2 times.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:07 PM   #2
bsmith

Name: bsmith
Title: Never enough
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearthedeere6.7 View Post
I really just noticed this since its gotten cool on the morning drive to work and ive had the windows up. when i shift in to od my turbo shutters a bit. Even if im in the throttle the od shift pulls me down to or past 1500 rpm, and my trubo doesnt lite till 1750. Anyway to keep from pulling down that far? Im automatic retarted. Or am i just gonna have to make my turbo come in sooner. im running 5x14s, a dv less than full cut and a hx55 with hx52 hotside. Im still at stock timing because of a tappet gasket like thats getting fixed and i didnt fell like doing timing 2 times.
Sounds like converter shutter.

RIP DEX

2001 2500 2wd
Diesel pro's cam
Walbro 392
Goff diesel injection
160hp pump
6x.013's by Weston
HTT 62/71/13 over FI 82/92/1.10
Levi's turbo blankets!

Old 09-08-2011, 07:56 AM   #3
fearthedeere6.7

Member`s Gallery
I dont think so. I read about converter shudder and i dont have any vibrations. Its all in the turbo when it shifts in to od and pulls down. Sounds just like ive got in the fuel and let out quick just not as bad. I have a feeling im just gonna have to find a way to make my turbo come in sooner so it doesnt "bark" on the shift.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:37 AM   #4
littleboy

Name: littleboy
Title: Can't quit now ...
Member`s Gallery
Get a smaller turbo or get the valve body recalibrated so that it shifts at higher rpm! With that big of a turbo you want more rpm!

Old 09-08-2011, 08:53 AM   #5
cumminsturbo94

Name: cumminsturbo94
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Just try rolling out of the throttle just a slight bit before OD.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:11 AM   #6
Cummins Driver

Name: Cummins Driver
Title: THE Cummins Driver
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearthedeere6.7 View Post
I dont think so. I read about converter shudder and i dont have any vibrations. Its all in the turbo when it shifts in to od and pulls down. Sounds just like ive got in the fuel and let out quick just not as bad. I have a feeling im just gonna have to find a way to make my turbo come in sooner so it doesnt "bark" on the shift.
You could always install a potentiometer in place of the TPS. Mount it in the cab and that would allow you to put the overdrive shift point higher which would also lock the converter at a higher MPH which would allow you to run enough RPM in 3rd so that when it shifts to O/D it wont pull down low enough to bark. Or you could use the o/d button and manually hold it in 3rd till it was spinning a few more rpm.

You must drive faster to work than me. My truck probably doesent see over 8psi on the way to work.. Not enough to bark it no matter what you do. Now on the way home, clear the road!

01 Dodge 3500 4x4 Dually Ext. Cab
Home Built 47re and an Edge Juice/Attitue & Air Dog

93 D250 Club Cab A518 - THD Fuel Pin

Old 09-08-2011, 10:00 AM   #7
Big Blue24

Name: Big Blue24
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
My daily driver 98' will do the same thing if the conditions are right and I'm running the stock HX35 turbo. Either learn to let off a little, or give it more throttle right before the OD shift, or do like Cummins Driver suggested and install a potentiometer and adjust where the OD shift occurs. On my truck, if I'm at about 15% throttle and have 22-28 psi boost, it will flutter, surge, and/or bark a little on the OD shift. If I give it more than 25% throttle, or less than about 10% throttle, no problems.
OEM 12v Block

Old 09-08-2011, 10:36 AM   #8
fearthedeere6.7

Member`s Gallery
I have a Pot in my truck not sure where its set at off hand but it doesnt shift till 60mph or so with 3.54 gears. I cant get it to shift any higher than that with out cancelling od. I would say the od shift pulls me down a good 500-700 rpm is this normal? I dont know what they do stock because the od was out when i bought the truck.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:54 PM   #9
Gasoline Sucks

Name: Gasoline Sucks
Title: slow 12v
Member`s Gallery
I have a hx52 and it barks bad between 3-4 especially towing 5k lbs like today. Had a quick merge and didnt adjust the POT to delay the 3-4 intime and it barked bad for about 3 seconds from 46+psi down to 10.... I was praying so hard it didnt snap the shaft I almost drove into the ditch on i95.

Im going to wire my pot into the ground circut of the tps instead of replacing the tps. This way I can delay the shift depending on throttle position. This way when you have your foot on the radiator merging or passing in 3rd (worse when towing) it doesnt shift and lockup dropping 800rpm in a split second (like my ats VB does) causing an arse puckering noise you never want to hear 1100 miles from home

I will take a vid of mine towing tomorrow nothing to be proud of, 3-5psi @ 1000* 4-5k lbs problem is with 35s, 3.55s in lock up puts me at about 1650rpm at 70mph. Now try keeping the egt under 1200 towing at that rpm/speed through the mountains with next to no boost :doh

Old 09-09-2011, 06:24 AM   #10
Dusterb318

Name: Dusterb318
Title: Regular Jackoff
Member`s Gallery
I have the same bark issue with mine.....I use the O/D button to hold 3rd a bit longer when I'm on the freeway on ramp as that's when it happens for me as it must be the perfect conditions of throttle, speed and boost.

Closed Thread