Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Shop Talk - Tool and Shop Discussion!
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shop Talk - Tool and Shop Discussion! Tool and Shop Discussion!

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 04:58 PM   #1
Cloverleaffarm

Name: Cloverleaffarm
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Pole Barn solar lighting?

I've got a 30x60 pole barn that is basically empty except a camper/bass boat and my pickup truck. I keep a fridge running to keep my shop beers cold, uses about 10 kWh a month. The shed itself is used for cold storage, anything major gets preformed up at the farm (1/2 mile up the road) or in the garage.

this months power bill was around $37 , $35 of the $37 was "customer and meter charge" (those prices have doubled over time)
So I'm going to tell the power company to stop supplying power to the barn and put that $ towards something else that'll run what I "need" to run more economically.

Does anyone have experience with any of the solar setups? don't really need much, just something for 5-6 125watt bulbs (are only one for 2-3 minutes a day) and "maybe" the beer fridge ?

Old 02-05-2019, 05:01 PM   #2
Cloverleaffarm

Member`s Gallery
Any suggestions?

Old 02-05-2019, 05:42 PM   #3
ComnRailPwr

Name: ComnRailPwr
Member`s Gallery
I don't have any input on the solar but I see why you want to do it. I can tell you volts x Amps = watts. so if your refrigerator used 4 amps and it was supplied with 118 volts then it would require 472 watts. The inrush would be a little more so I would oversize your supply by 1.5. Also it would likely pay for itself for you to install led lights that pull 1/10 the wattage with the offset cost of cheaper power supply. Nonetheless less I'm following because this crap interests me.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:45 PM   #4
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComnRailPwr View Post
I don't have any input on the solar but I see why you want to do it. I can tell you volts x Amps = watts. so if your refrigerator used 4 amps and it was supplied with 118 volts then it would require 472 watts. The inrush would be a little more so I would oversize your supply by 1.5. Also it would likely pay for itself for you to install led lights that pull 1/10 the wattage with the offset cost of cheaper power supply. Nonetheless less I'm following because this crap interests me.

Volts x Amps = VA. Volts x Amps x power factor = Watts

A battery bank would help tremendously with the startup load of the compressor on the refrigerator.
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 02-05-2019, 10:19 PM   #5
Bob Wagner

Name: Bob Wagner
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Battery back up will be a big expense.

We have a 10kW solar system installed since 2014 and it was a very good investment at the time when all the pay back money was huge.

I believe in solar power 100% and it works great and saves money, we don’t have a battery storage system installed at this time.

If the offer incentives for the option, I would take them up.

Talk to a local installer for advice, most companies are very easy to deal with.

Old 02-06-2019, 06:08 AM   #6
Cloverleaffarm

Member`s Gallery
Local is going to be the challenge. I’ve asked numerous people and I can’t find anyone, not even the all power google can find a “local” business/dealer near me in Illinois

Old 02-06-2019, 07:38 AM   #7
06 DIESEL

Name: 06 DIESEL
Title: Dead Eye Firearms LLC
Member`s Gallery
A quick off the grid power search lead me to this website that you can buy a complete kit from.

Off Grid Solar Systems | Buy Direct & Save Thousands

My rig - 2021 Mega 3500 SRW

My Classic - 79 Chevy Silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonA View Post
Trucks are like women. Sometimes you just need to spend money on them to keep them happy.

Old 02-06-2019, 07:51 AM   #8
mikmaze

Name: mikmaze
Member`s Gallery
might even be worth looking into junked prius batteries as backup? or other hybrid setups?

Old 02-06-2019, 08:00 AM   #9
Cloverleaffarm

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06 DIESEL View Post
A quick off the grid power search lead me to this website that you can buy a complete kit from.

Off Grid Solar Systems | Buy Direct & Save Thousands
i appreciate the link. I've searched for similar kits, but need one that's scaled down. I only run a few light bulbs and a fridge.

Old 02-06-2019, 08:14 AM   #10
06 DIESEL

Member`s Gallery
Their website says to give them a call and they will custom build a kit for any demand.

Quote:
Trucks are like women. Sometimes you just need to spend money on them to keep them happy.

Old 02-06-2019, 08:18 AM   #11
Cloverleaffarm

Member`s Gallery
I sent them an email to see if they have a smaller version of a kit. I'd get rid of the fridge if need be to get by with a smaller/cheaper kit. just move the beer fridge to the garage next to my compressor

Old 02-06-2019, 09:46 AM   #12
WUnderwood

Name: WUnderwood
Title: CompD Minion
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wagner View Post
Battery back up will be a big expense.

We have a 10kW solar system installed since 2014 and it was a very good investment at the time when all the pay back money was huge.

I believe in solar power 100% and it works great and saves money, we don’t have a battery storage system installed at this time.

If the offer incentives for the option, I would take them up.

Talk to a local installer for advice, most companies are very easy to deal with.
Bob- are you off the grid? I want to say I read a while ago that you weren't, just curious. Being in the Pacific NW, do you have any issues with the weather being overcast?

Click the image to open in full size.

RIP BFD99, jponder, and Forrest Nearing

Old 02-06-2019, 11:36 AM   #13
06 DIESEL

Member`s Gallery
They have a kit that is only $1500.

Weekender 320 W AC 2-Panel Solarland Off-Grid Solar System - Wholesale Solar

Quote:

Old 02-06-2019, 11:47 AM   #14
Bob Wagner

Name: Bob Wagner
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WUnderwood View Post
Bob- are you off the grid? I want to say I read a while ago that you weren't, just curious. Being in the Pacific NW, do you have any issues with the weather being overcast?
Will, we are not off the grid and we resell our unused energy back the the power company.

We have full southern exposure and have full sun from dawn to dusk.

The Pacific NW is well suited for solar power, even on overcast days the power production is great.

This was a great investment with great payback and zero regrets.

The solar incentives are not that great any longer, so back pay times are increased.

Bob

Old 02-06-2019, 11:49 AM   #15
Cloverleaffarm

Member`s Gallery
when I sent them the email I linked that one into it to see if they had a smaller one and if not would I need to purchase a battery for the storage or not.
$1500 kit + $250 battery
wouldn't take more than a couple of years to pay for itself

Old 02-06-2019, 01:10 PM   #16
Mark Nixon

Name: Mark Nixon
Title: No Savior among the flesh
Member`s Gallery
Depending on how whole hog you go into it, bringing in big amounts of energy means needing a place to put the surplus.
Personally, I want all the extra places to put it I can, because I want to be totally independent of the grid, but to do so requires a large amount of storage.

Even on a small set-up, plan for at least double the storage you will compute as needing, because there WILL be times when you have to rely on battery power for an extended period of time.
It also helps to understand that you can ever have too many batteries, because even new ones can fail and sometimes when they do, they can take some others with them.

Murphy's Law reigns supreme, always.

Mark.

Old 02-06-2019, 01:33 PM   #17
wwentzler

Name: wwentzler
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Personally I'd be addressing the raping the power company is doing. There is absolutely zero reasonable reason to be paying essentially $3.70/kWh. Not knowing details of your situation I have to believe something is up.

Old 02-06-2019, 02:05 PM   #18
Cloverleaffarm

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nixon View Post
Depending on how whole hog you go into it, bringing in big amounts of energy means needing a place to put the surplus.
Personally, I want all the extra places to put it I can, because I want to be totally independent of the grid, but to do so requires a large amount of storage.

Even on a small set-up, plan for at least double the storage you will compute as needing, because there WILL be times when you have to rely on battery power for an extended period of time.
It also helps to understand that you can ever have too many batteries, because even new ones can fail and sometimes when they do, they can take some others with them.

Murphy's Law reigns supreme, always.

Mark.
Just small scale power needs for this application. Few light bulbs, and possibly fridge "depending on package price". all power tools-compressor and such is in the garage. Completely separate building-bill than the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwentzler View Post
Personally I'd be addressing the raping the power company is doing. There is absolutely zero reasonable reason to be paying essentially $3.70/kWh. Not knowing details of your situation I have to believe something is up.
I've called and talked with customer service and even the "customer service manager" and the monthly minimum amount is the $35.They said that its $35 because I basically rent the meter and if there's any issues that need fixed/repaired then they would come out "free of charge" to fix anything

Old 02-06-2019, 02:44 PM   #19
wwentzler

Name: wwentzler
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloverleaffarm View Post
I've called and talked with customer service and even the "customer service manager" and the monthly minimum amount is the $35.They said that its $35 because I basically rent the meter and if there's any issues that need fixed/repaired then they would come out "free of charge" to fix anything
How close proximity is this to another building with supplied power? Preferably one you own.

Old 02-06-2019, 02:45 PM   #20
Cloverleaffarm

Member`s Gallery
the shed is about 40 yards away from the house. It's considered "commercial" because it is " a uninhabitable" structure. So it has to have its own meter/bill.

if I can't find a solar option I've considered running an extension cord over to power the lights.
or last resort is trenching an underground line directly to the garage where the house fuse box is located in. We do our own water and power trenching for the farm and we have everything for it already

Closed Thread