picking up a new to me JD 1070

mikmaze

Kind of excited, going tomorrow to get the tractor I been looking for........ For the usage I need it should be pretty good, I intend to brush hog and plow/ disc with it to make feed plots for hunting. This tractor was babied at a golfcourse for 20 years of its life, it is a 1991. Specs say she is a 38.5 hp 4 cyl diesel, non turbo. First time I went to look at it I did not warn the owner I was coming, I got there and it was 20 degrees out, tractor burried in snow. Firt thing noticed is not a drip of anything on the week old snow under it, and when the guy got there with the keys it fired right up. I know I should leave well enough alone, but are there any simple, reliable mods to get a tad more out of it ?

2011-02-03_11-38-05_805.jpg

well had a chance to burn some fuel through it last week, fired it up and did a bit of brush hoggin, cleared a half acre field of 6 ft tall weeds and a few taller bushes/ small trees. Ran great, after an good long full pto rpm run parked it and no drips runs or leaks whatsoever. Happy about that, might have to look into why the pto wants to pop out of gear now and then. I did learn that it has a dual clutch, part way in and the wheel drive disengages but pto keeps running, all the way to the floor and both disengage. Currently looking for a 2 bottom plow with cutter wheel and depth gauge, or a 3 bottom that I can set the depth gauge a bit on the shallow side so as to still be able to pull it. Going to be a fun spring.

Its doing a lot better than i thought pulling the disc i have. I adjusted the angle for a better bite on the front cutting set and still rips along

Back