Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 94-98 2nd Gen. 12V
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2019, 09:23 PM   #1
texastruck

Name: texastruck
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
12 Valve only start with throttle, thick smoke

I pulled the 12v from a 1994 Dodge 2500. I started it up on the garage floor and it ran fine. Since then, I’ve done the following mods:

5x0.014 injectors
Advance timing to 19*
4K GSK
60# Valve springs
KDP fix

I just tried starting the engine again after finishing all the above mods, and it wouldn’t start, even after priming and cranking several times. When I gave it the slightest throttle, it starts, but will die once I let go of the throttle. Also, once it does fires off, it makes a TON of thick black smoke immediately. I haven’t been brave enough to hold the throttle for more than a second or two.

My first thought was that the engine was being fed too much fuel because of the larger injectors. I hadn’t made any adjustment to the AFC/smoke screw/star wheel when I did the mods, so today I turned the smoke screw Out and the star wheel back to the middle of its travel (it had been almost fully forward) hoping to reduce the smoke. I tried starting again, but no difference at all. Still won’t start unless I hold the throttle, giving off a big cloud of black smoke, then dying.

What more should I be looking at to fix this? I know the 5x14 injectors are a bit larger than stock, so controlling the smoke may be a challenge, but I feel that it should at least stay running.

Old 08-03-2019, 09:28 PM   #2
Mark Nixon

Name: Mark Nixon
Title: No Savior among the flesh
Member`s Gallery
Maybe check that the GSK is set up correctly?

Mark.

Old 08-03-2019, 10:39 PM   #3
texastruck

Member`s Gallery
I’ll check the GSK in the morning. I’ll try to google the symptoms of an improper set up in the meantime. Not sure if I would need to screw the retainer ring inward, or outward.

I came across a post where someone did not tighten the retainer ring enough, and he ended up jamming and bending the threaded stud when he when to start it. He had to pull the p-pump off and get it serviced. Cost him $750. Ouch.

Old 08-03-2019, 11:09 PM   #4
Rich dzl

Name: Rich dzl
Title: 12v guru
Member`s Gallery
Check your timing .. did you clean the gear and pump
Shaft and torque it properly? What method of timing advancement did u use

Old 08-03-2019, 11:18 PM   #5
texastruck

Member`s Gallery
Yes I was sure to clean the shaft with brakleen to remove any oil or contaminants. Of course I suppose a timing slip could always still be possible. I used a timing wheel on the harmonic balancer to set my timing.

Old 08-03-2019, 11:31 PM   #6
BigPapa

Name: BigPapa
Title: Truckless
Member`s Gallery
GSK and timing.

2003 Avalanche Z71

Common sense is like deodorant. The people that need it most never use it.

Old 08-04-2019, 12:17 PM   #7
RAMblin Fever

Name: RAMblin Fever
Member`s Gallery
I've always had to adjust the idle when swapping the gov springs.

Old 08-04-2019, 03:39 PM   #8
texastruck

Member`s Gallery
Well I went out to adjust my idle, still wasn’t starting, even when applying throttle. I kept priming the lift pump, thinking maybe the fuel had drained out overnight. Didn’t really seem like any fuel was being sucked out of the gas can though. Took the hose out of the gas can and covered the end of the hose with my thumb while priming. No vacuum. It was lifting fuel just fine yesterday, I had done the same “thumb test”. What the hell is going on now? Trying to solve one problem, and more keep popping up.

Old 08-04-2019, 04:12 PM   #9
texastruck

Member`s Gallery
Took the lift pump off, put it on my bench, hand primed it again with my finger over the inlet, nothing. Primed again but this time pressing the the cam plunger instead, and it worked. Tried the hand primer bulb again, and now that’s working again too.... ?? Glad it seems to be working again, but geez. Guess I’ll reinstall it and try to solve my original idling problem

Old 08-04-2019, 04:21 PM   #10
GAmes

Name: GAmes
Title: Retired Apache pilot
Member`s Gallery
Are you sure the timing was advanced? More than one guy has inadvertently retarded the timing.

Old 08-04-2019, 04:34 PM   #11
texastruck

Member`s Gallery
I’ve thought about that too. I remember I took photos of when I was doing the timing. I’ll go back and see if I may have turned the engine over the wrong way when trying to advance my timing

Old 08-04-2019, 06:48 PM   #12
regcanfan

Name: regcanfan
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Also was the timing stock when you started.

Old 08-04-2019, 08:23 PM   #13
texastruck

Member`s Gallery
Yes, stock was 12.5*

I’m still having issues with my lift pump. Just ordered a new one, should get here Wednesday. I’ll move on to other things like A/C and alternator brackets til it arrives.

Old 08-05-2019, 09:04 PM   #14
texastruck

Member`s Gallery
Alright I installed a new lift pump tonight, verified it was working, and attempted to start the engine. It fired right up! Then the revs started climbing. I flipped down the FSS lever, but I didn’t shut down the engine. Still revving high. It was running away. Luckily I had placed a board next to me for this exact scenario. I choked off the intake and killed the engine. The whole process from startup to choking it off took no more than 3 seconds. Felt like eternity though.

What should I be looking at to fix this? After the runaway I unscrewed the smoke screw a full 3 turns and adjusted the idle bolt by the throttle linkage. The star wheel i left alone since I had already moved it from fully forward to slightly before the middle (closer to the firewall side of middle).

I posted on 4btswaps and someone replied I may have installed the governor spring kit incorrectly, specifically by possibly removing the shims under the factory idle springs that go back in the pump when installing a GSK. He said only a certified Bosch technician with a pump stand can fix that mistake. Is that true? I haven’t read that anywhere before.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:01 PM   #15
texastruck

Member`s Gallery
I found some pictures of when I removed the old spring during the GSK installation I did. Sorry for the poor photo quality. Below is everything I removed from each side of the governor.

Click the image to open in full size.Untitled by Ivan Alvarez, on Flickr

And below is a photo I took today of the remaining items I saved in a ziploc bag. Whatever you don't see in the photo below, went back into the governor housing with the Pacbrake GSK

Old 08-05-2019, 10:08 PM   #16
Downtownbrown

Name: Downtownbrown
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastruck View Post
someone replied I may have installed the governor spring kit incorrectly, specifically by possibly removing the shims under the factory idle springs that go back in the pump when installing a GSK. He said only a certified Bosch technician with a pump stand can fix that mistake. Is that true? I haven’t read that anywhere before.

Sounds like gov springs to me, whose gov springs did you use?what pump is on the motor? Ive had the same issue with a 190 pump on a 24valve. Make sure you removed all of the shims, make sure you didnt remove the biggest gov spring(ive seen people do it)

Back them all the way off and run it back down until you get 2 solid clicks out of it, test it and start going one click at a time until it seems right. Ive had cheap gov springs not want to idle and have swapped them out for a nicer set and worked just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-05-2019, 10:20 PM   #17
texastruck

Member`s Gallery
Disregard that last photo, all 6 shims are the same size, so they should be grouped together like the photo below. The larger shim went back in the governor housing.

Click the image to open in full size.Untitled by , on Flickr

Old 08-05-2019, 10:22 PM   #18
texastruck

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtownbrown View Post
Sounds like gov springs to me, whose gov springs did you use?what pump is on the motor? Ive had the same issue with a 190 pump on a 24valve. Make sure you removed all of the shims, make sure you didnt remove the biggest gov spring(ive seen people do it)

Back them all the way off and run it back down until you get 2 solid clicks out of it, test it and start going one click at a time until it seems right. Ive had cheap gov springs not want to idle and have swapped them out for a nicer set and worked just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I used Pacbrake's spring kit.

I'm going to open up the governor up and check it out before I try firing it up again. Thank you

Old 08-07-2019, 01:17 AM   #19
texastruck

Member`s Gallery
I loosened up the governor springs by 2 clicks on each side. Fixed the problem. Thank you everyone who replied and thank you Downtownbrown for sharing with me some tips from when he had a similar issue.

Moving on to installing the transmission now

Old 08-07-2019, 01:42 AM   #20
Mark Nixon

Name: Mark Nixon
Title: No Savior among the flesh
Member`s Gallery
Nice to hear the problem is solved.

Mark.

Closed Thread