Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Shop Talk - Tool and Shop Discussion!
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Shop Talk - Tool and Shop Discussion! Tool and Shop Discussion!

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 01:29 PM   #1
Team Willys

Name: Team Willys
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Southesat Diesel; Chattanooga, TN

Hey guys, just wanted to share a horror story with you so maybe you can avoid the trouble yourself.

It all started back in April of this year. My 2005 Ram 2500 lost an injector due to a solenoid failure. The failure actually happened when I pulled into the driveway, so it wasn't a huge deal except for the money issue. Because I daily drive my truck, I needed an injector ASAP. I called up Southeast Diesel and they had several in stock so I went down there the next morning and bought a NEW Bosch one from them: $398.88. I installed it and the truck ran great for about a week, when it oddly started running rough again. It had a dead mis-fire, so I pulled the valve cover and disconnected the injectors one at a time until I found the culprit. I returned to SED and bought another NEW injector. I installed it and after installation, the truck ran fine again. I drove it to work, and by the time I got there (40 minute drive) it was already running rough again. So at this point I'm thinking that another one is failing. Due to the aggravation, I decided to pull the remaining 4 to send them off to Industrial Injection for a complete rebuild. It took a month to get them back from II, and cost me roughly $1200 for the work. After I got them and re-installed them, the problem was still the same! So again I pulled the valve cover and tested the injectors by unplugging them. I found the faulty injector, and it turned out to be the 2nd one I had bought from SED! As you would guess, I was pissed that I just spent $1200 on getting perfectly good injectors rebuilt! I swapped the suspected injector with another cylinder to make sure it was the problem, and the mis-fire followed the injector which confirmed my diagnosis. So back to SED I go. They have a Bosch approved test bench, so they tested it for me and also confirmed that it was bad...

Here's where the story gets interesting...

After they confirmed it was bad, they basically told me to screw off. They would not cover it under warranty, even though there is a warranty that is expressed on the receipt. They told me that I would have to buy another one, and that they would send mine back to Bosch for further testing, and that upon Bosch approval, they would refund my money. I felt as though I was being ripped off and given the run around, but since I needed my truck, I complied and paid them again, even though it should have been free. They told me they would have an answer in 2 weeks and that they would call me. 3 Weeks passed with no news, so I called them. Still nothing from Bosch yet. Waited 2 more weeks and called again. Same Answer. I again waited 2 weeks and called them back. This time I was told that Bosch had gotten it, and when they ran the Serial number on it, it came back as a 2006 injector, and that it was out of warranty and would not be honored. So my thought was that maybe they had that injector in stock for that long?!?! The man at SED told me that it wasn't possible and that they were not going to refund my money. He wouldn't come out and say it, but he was implying that I pulled a switcheroo on them and was trying to get a free injector. Now, keep in mind, the injector had maybe 100 miles on it, tops. It looked brand new! Anyone with a brain could look at it and see it wasn't old at all. But even after bringing this up, he still refused to make it right. I was at a loss and had no idea what to do. As the day went on, I got more and more pissed about the situation, so I came up with a solution. I was going to take them to small claims court. I called SED back and spoke with the same man that I had talked to in the morning, and informed him that I knew I was right and he was somehow wrong, and that I wasn't just going to let it go. I told him that he had until the end of the day to change his mind (about 3 hours) or I would be headed down to the Courthouse the next morning to start the process to take legal action against them. At the same time, I told him that if I took them to court, it wouldn't be for a measly $400, it would be for court costs, the paperwork filing fee, an inconvenience fee, a day's pay for me missing work, the installation charges, AND the injector... which all adds up to roughly $1500. When he heard this, his attitude changed a little. He said he would see what he could do and would call me back. Literally as I was walking out the door to head home, they finally called. He told me that there was a big mix up, and that they had sent back 2 injectors that same week and mine WAS approved and the other one WAS NOT. Unfortunately, even though it was approved by Bosch, SED still refused to send me the money. He said he wanted to make sure they actually got the credit before passing it on to me. 2 Weeks passed with no news. I called them again and was told they were still waiting on it. After 3 weeks total of waiting, they finally credited me $398.00, which is $0.88 short of what I paid to begin with. Not that I care about 88 cents, but I had also been paying interest on that money for almost 3 months now.

So, in the end, I did finally get my money back, but it was a lot of hassle and I had to show my ass to get them to do the right thing. I will never spend another penny there. If you are smart, you won't either. Buyer beware!!!

Closed Thread