Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 01:00 PM   #1
gstanfield

Name: gstanfield
Title: Are we there yet?
Member`s Gallery
tranny upgrades... DO IT NOW!!!

I finally rolled my truck out of the shop at 2AM this morning after a weekend of work. I had to be back here at 6:30AM for work, but hey sleeps overrated right? I installed a Dunrite converters single disk and valve body with some internal mods to increase line pressures and lubrication. A little machining on the planetaries here, machining intermediate shaft there, extra springs here. All in all it wasn't too difficult, just time consuming casue I wanted it to be perfect. The results are awsome. The truck shifts firmer without being harsh, holds lockup (via the installed switch) and has no slippage. Bottom line diffrent truck completely. Tony Garcin, the owner of dunrite and a drag racing guy from the 60's knows a lot about these things, and taught me a lot in the process of this job. He also said he would warrenty this for 5 years up to 450hp and 20,000lbs towing. I intend to stay below this level with a goal of around 350hp and so I will be very happy with this setup I'm sure.

Here are the results of the work, numbers wise anyway. My truck is stock for now, been waiting for the tranny upgrades to turn it up. I made a couple runs up a small hill behind the shop before and after and timed it.

0-70mph results.

Stock 24.6seconds

Now 21.2seconds

This is a pretty big improvement considering I didn't touch the engine. Now I can slide my fuel plate foward and install that gks kit, boost elbow and have fun

For anyone considering auto tranny upgrades I'll highly recommend Tony, he supplies several of the big guys with their converters and will have you doing a lot more than just throwing parts at it, we actually fixed several design flaws in this tranny instead of just throwing stronger parts at it to try and live despite the flaws.

George
1997 2500 SLT 4x4 #100 fuel plate, 16.5degrees timing, 3k GSK, Amsoil homemmade intake, Dodgezilla turbo, KDP killed, Dunrite converter & VB, 285/75R16's and autometer gauges.

Old 10-02-2006, 01:08 PM   #2
Timbeaux

Name: Timbeaux
Title: Administrator and Head Thread Derailer
Member`s Gallery
I agree. There is nothing better than a diesel truck with a built auto.
NO LIMIT FAB, DIESEL SOUTH, DC CUSTOMS
Quote:
"I just love everything about racing. I wanna race every single day. Its nothing for me to be cutting grass and the neighbor hoss the gas on his mower, and there we are, lined up in the the middle of the street." - Stevie KillinTime Jackson
"Against stupidity, the gods themselves fight unvictorious."

Old 10-02-2006, 02:00 PM   #3
RacinDuallie

Name: RacinDuallie
Title: Black Sheep Racing
Member`s Gallery
Some of the BEST dang money I spent went into my trans. It is IMHO the best expensive mod one could possibly do. Everything falls into place after that ....

Old 10-02-2006, 02:44 PM   #4
nummit

Name: nummit
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Wow! That is quite a difference in time between stock and built. Gotta love mods that make a noticeable difference right off.

Quote:
He also said he would warrenty this for 5 years up to 450hp and 20,000lbs towing. I intend to stay below this level with a goal of around 350hp and so I will be very happy with this setup I'm sure.
Who you kidding?

Here is our conversation

Me: I can give you 450 hp
You: No thanks.. I'm happy with my 350
Me: you

Last edited by nummit; 10-02-2006 at 02:46 PM.

Old 10-02-2006, 02:46 PM   #5
nummit

Name: nummit
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
All in good fun

Old 10-03-2006, 07:44 PM   #6
gstanfield

Member`s Gallery
I'm OK with all in good fun man. You're not hurting me. The reason I don't want to get too carried away with power is that right now I'm getting 24-27mpg running empty at 65-70mph and 21-23mpg on the highway at 75-80mph. My wife and I do a lot of travelling and so I'd like to get all the power I can without hurting this incredible milage. Make sense?

George
1997 2500 SLT 4x4 #100 fuel plate, 16.5degrees timing, 3k GSK, Amsoil homemmade intake, Dodgezilla turbo, KDP killed, Dunrite converter & VB, 285/75R16's and autometer gauges.

Old 10-03-2006, 10:02 PM   #7
Billysgoat

Name: Billysgoat
Title: The ANTI-BLING!
Member`s Gallery
George the 12V is famous for butt stomping power AND great mileage, most folks don't loose mileage with BOMBing. Heck, Matt Wells' drag truck got 24mpg going to the race track, racing in bracket class, racing on the interstate, doing burnouts in parking lots and then driving back home. And yes, that was all on one tank of fuel

03 Dog, named Clifford, to heavy to be fast.
11 335D, the grin machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
I was there & I herd Heath say.........."LET GO OF MY EARS, I KNOW WHAT I`M DOING"

BTB,BBB

Old 10-03-2006, 10:27 PM   #8
gstanfield

Member`s Gallery
24 with all that is way beyond cool. When I put an entire tank through around town it normally comes out to 16mpg or so, but that is full throttle from every light and a lot of short trips, plus my daily cummute puts me on the interstate for 3.4 miles at 90mph (uphill both ways, or halfway in each direction actually) I'm all for power, but I want to get an extra stock fuel plate to have so I can have two, one for long trips, one for playing with the kids around town.

That's another topic for another day. My boost control elbow came in yesterday, so I need to install it and see where I go from there. I'm really looking forward to an extra 10psi or so, should be fun.

George

Closed Thread