Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 06:20 PM   #1
Hdhorton

Name: Hdhorton
Title: Too broke to go fast
Member`s Gallery
Ideas for '01 ppump build

I'm still learnin as I go on this stuff so just please bear with me through this. And I'm not that smart on ppump stuff but I've been tryin to read and learn what I can. I've had my '01 for a few years now and it's gettin close to 190k miles and the vp's slowly goin out. So I'm still short on money for the build but I just want to go ahead and get a parts list together so I'll know what I need when it comes time to buy, and since the people on here know way more than I do I figured I'm in good hands on here. Right now I have a 2001.5 2500 qcsb, all mods are listed in my sig. Most of it was done by the previous owner and it's gettin time I make it my own. I semi daily drive the truck mainly just on the weekends and some through the week, no towing, and I like to hit the strip now and then if I get the chance. As of now really the only thing I have for the swap is a 180 pump I picked up from a guy at school for dirt cheap. I'm goin to send it to seth at fds when I get father along on this. Probably goin to go with cpp for the conversion kit, but I'm open to any ideas on all of this. I'm unsure of what pump mods to do since I'm still pretty new on that stuff so I'm definitely goin to need some ideas there. I have a 64mm on the truck now and plan stickin a s480 under it at some point. And probably goin to swap the cam while I have it apart. Any and all help is greatly appreciated

Old 01-14-2015, 07:57 PM   #2
Howling

Name: Howling
Title: Soot Sniffer
Member`s Gallery
Seth will tell you what will work like max and bench,. 024 delivery valves, 4k springs, AFC mods bump the timing etc...

2006 Dodge CTD/48re 4x4 Sport
With some fuel and air.
Bullseye,Hamilton,Exergy,EFI,ATS,FASS,HTS,Thuren, Toyo's...

1996 2500 RC 4x4 CTD-63/68/.83,5X.014,180 maxed Ppump,Fass...

Old 01-14-2015, 08:52 PM   #3
Hdhorton

Member`s Gallery
Yeah I was kinda figurin .024 or 191 dv's, 4k gsk, and up the timin. But timing is definitely my weak point. I've still got a lot of reading and learning to do on that. The guy I got the pump from said it ran fine on the truck but if you let it sit for a day or 2 it's like it would lose prime, any ideas on that? I thought about just spendin a little more and have the whole pump went through just to be sure everythings good but if it's not needed I'll just put that money towards something else

Old 01-15-2015, 12:53 PM   #4
jlbayes

Name: jlbayes
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
piece together your own swap..........those kits are over priced.

Old 01-15-2015, 02:10 PM   #5
Hdhorton

Member`s Gallery
That was my original plan but around here even motors people have already robbed swap parts off of are still askin way too much for them. And the pump I have is missin some stuff like the the throttle linkage and stuff. But right now I'm still just gettin my list together so I'll probably try to look around for some cheap parts off of a 12valve. Anybody on here runnin a 64/80 combo on the street? I'd like to know how well they spool on a street truck. Matthews8pt is runnin a set I think

Old 01-15-2015, 02:54 PM   #6
jlbayes

Name: jlbayes
Member`s Gallery
you will be using your throttle linkage with your apps. agkits.com for timing case. need a cam sensor adapter, eatsoot.com. pump brackets can be bought new. then need a pump gear. lines......i got lucky and found used.

Old 01-15-2015, 03:03 PM   #7
Ghostman

Name: Ghostman
Title: 24v crazy
Member`s Gallery
List needed:

-Pump
-pump gear
-12v timing case
-oil feed line
-oil feed "tee"
--oil adapter with restrictor(depends on where you feed the pump)
-conversion lines
-boost plumbing to afc(various fittings and line all depending on how you set it up)
--12v throttle linkage assembly(this may vary some also depending on what you use)
-timing case gasket
-timing cover gasket
-cam sensor adapter (your '01.5 will need this for tach and alt function)
--I would recommend a front timing cover plug and run vent tube off something else
2006 QCSB 4wd - EFI Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesixpack View Post
VE vs VP....isn't that like watching retard's fight?

Old 01-15-2015, 03:12 PM   #8
Hdhorton

Member`s Gallery
I've read through quite a few conversion threads includin both of yours and Mathews8pt. And I'm sure I'll be doin some more readin through them when I start my swap. The guy I got the pump from has another 12v I think, so I might try and talk him to sellin me some parts off of it. I thought about just goin ahead and getting the adjustable gear. Would yall think its worth it or no?

Old 01-15-2015, 04:58 PM   #9
Ghostman

Member`s Gallery
Adjustable gears are nice because you don't have to ever worry about slipping gear, but it depends on your budget. If your trying to save money then use the regular gear. Once you adjust the timing once or twice it becomes really easy and fast. I bet I could almost do mine as fast as someone with an adjustable gear could.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 QCSB 4wd - EFI Live

Quote:

Old 01-15-2015, 06:59 PM   #10
Tate

Name: Tate
Title: What?
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostman View Post
Adjustable gears are nice because you don't have to ever worry about slipping gear, but it depends on your budget. If your trying to save money then use the regular gear. Once you adjust the timing once or twice it becomes really easy and fast. I bet I could almost do mine as fast as someone with an adjustable gear could.

I could do my timing in about 30-40 minutes on my 24v with a regular gear. It was about 5 minutes with the adjustable gear. It took me about 15 minutes to get the lines off and on again, since they were such a pain in the ass, though.

My p-pump conversion pics

Old 01-15-2015, 07:31 PM   #11
Hdhorton

Member`s Gallery
I was talkin to my teacher tonight about the pump I got, because the guy I got it from works from him. And he said he thinks th barrels and plungers are siezed. Is there anyway to tell if they are or not?

Old 01-15-2015, 08:29 PM   #12
Ghostman

Member`s Gallery
Take out the DVs and rotate the pump and see.

2006 QCSB 4wd - EFI Live

Quote:

Old 01-15-2015, 11:09 PM   #13
Hdhorton

Member`s Gallery
Ok I'll try that tomorrow before I leave for the beach. But I only paid $160 for the pump so even if it's bad I still got a pretty good deal on a core haha

Old 01-15-2015, 11:20 PM   #14
displacedtexan

Name: displacedtexan
Title: $500 PREMIUM MEMBER
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hdhorton View Post
The guy I got the pump from said it ran fine on the truck but if you let it sit for a day or 2 it's like it would lose prime, any ideas on that?
Probably pin holes in the rubber fuel lines on the truck.

Old 01-15-2015, 11:53 PM   #15
Hdhorton

Member`s Gallery
I was thinkin somethin like that but didn't know if it would be somethin pump related or not. If the plungers and barrels are seized up would it be worth rebuildin or just turn it in as a core? Like I said I've only got $160 in it

Old 01-16-2015, 12:38 AM   #16
Chrisd91

Name: Chrisd91
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hdhorton View Post
I was thinkin somethin like that but didn't know if it would be somethin pump related or not. If the plungers and barrels are seized up would it be worth rebuildin or just turn it in as a core? Like I said I've only got $160 in it

That's 1/2 core value, so you're money ahead even if it is a paperweight

95ish 2500 2wd shorty p.o.s.

'12 3500 SRW CCLB 4x4 golfball

Old 01-16-2015, 01:13 PM   #17
Hdhorton

Member`s Gallery
Yeah that's why I wasnt too worried when I bought it, if it was good or bad because I knew it was cheap even for a core. I guess I'll just wait till I get a little more money in the bank and give Seth a call and see what we can work out. Another question I have is i just put a new fass 150gph on the truck last summer. Don't you just have to get a new spring to run enough pressure for a ppump?

Old 01-16-2015, 02:25 PM   #18
zfaylor

Name: zfaylor
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Buy a complete running 12 valve and the conversion lines and cam sensor adapter and save lots of the headaches. When I ppumped my 01 this made it a cake walk. Even got the throttle cable from a 12 valve for mine (5 speed) with the engine. It was a day job in my driveway before my shop was up. You can piece together a kit but I will tell you I broke even when it was all said and done by being able to sell the rest of the 12 valve and my good vp parts. Plus seeing the engine run gave me piece of mind knowing I had a good pump.

North American Turbo

Old 01-17-2015, 01:01 PM   #19
Hdhorton

Member`s Gallery
That's my new plan I guess, just buy a complete motor. I know it'll be a lot easier for me bein able to see exactly what goes where since I've never really had much experience with 12 valves. But a buddy of mine that works at the tigercat dealership I used to will probably help me out some so it shouldn't be too bad. Biggest problem is right I work on the family farm and it's slowed down for the winter time, and I'm in the process of gettin a new job and it's killin my bank account haha. And most motors around here if you can even find them are listing for like $3k now. I don't know what the deal is, but every thing cummins related around here is through the roof

Last edited by Hdhorton; 01-17-2015 at 01:03 PM.

Old 01-17-2015, 03:16 PM   #20
Tate

Name: Tate
Title: What?
Member`s Gallery
I bet you could pick up a running truck with a pooched body for about the same as the engine alone. Should be able to get your money back on it, as you have the rest of the drivetrain to part out.

My p-pump conversion pics

Closed Thread