Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 06:11 PM   #1
gstanfield

Name: gstanfield
Title: Are we there yet?
Member`s Gallery
Where to go from here?

Well, I've decided that I need mroe boost. I have a boost control elbow that allows a my boost guage to read 32psi when I'm in it hard. I have also put a #100 plate in it, slid about 3/4 foward. Things are good and the power is great. I'm thinking that now is the time for more boost to cut down on the black, drop my EGT's a tad and make things happy under the hood. I figure my next step would be a turbo upgreade and a change in timing.

Questions are

#1 what would be one step up from stock turbo? Would a 16Cm housing help any or where should I go?

#2 what timing should I be running with this setup?

Sorry to beat to death questions that have been posed already, I guess I'm just hard to learn this stuff at times.

BTW, my goal is more than my original one, I now want about 350-400hp out of my truck and good drivability.

Thanks for any ideas and suggestions,
George
1997 2500 SLT 4x4 #100 fuel plate, 16.5degrees timing, 3k GSK, Amsoil homemmade intake, Dodgezilla turbo, KDP killed, Dunrite converter & VB, 285/75R16's and autometer gauges.

Old 10-16-2006, 10:21 PM   #2
wtfd6

Name: wtfd6
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
I dont know much about timing issues and stuff like that. I am a 24 valve guy. butt as far as turbos go I have a little knowledge. I have an hx-40 on my truck. it is a little laggy but tolerable. I put down 396hp on the dyno. the turbo I am saving for is a High Tech Turbo HTB2 62/14. I was going to go with a 12cm housing. that gives fast spool up, but the 14cm would help with more flow coming out. I think it would be a more happy medium between the 12 and 16 housings. I am also interested to hear if anyone has gone from a 12cm to a 14cm. I would like to hear their real world experience.

Mark

Thanks to Coaltrain Diesel Performance!
419-392-1678

Old 10-17-2006, 04:42 AM   #3
woodsrat

Name: woodsrat
Title: NEW ERA DIESEL
Member`s Gallery
Mark

Going to try and get the 62/14 on my truck before the meet this weekend if so you can drive it up there and see what you think.

Chuck

Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD. You want to hit it but are afraid of the consequences.

Old 10-17-2006, 07:36 PM   #4
pwerwagn

Name: pwerwagn
Title: STFU!
Member`s Gallery
A 16cm housing will lower drive pressure, increase top end hp a little, and reduce boost #'s by about 4-6psi.
Ive tried a 16cm on my hx 35 and liked it.

The next step up from a stock turbo is a hybrid. HX35 turbine side, HX40 compressor. I have one on mine with a wastegated 14cm housing. It spools way faster than the 35/16 or regular HX40. It lowered my EGT a little, and pulls harder on the top than the 35/16 did.
It also sounds better. It hits harder too, seems to spool from 10psi to 37 psi (thats where I have it wastegated at..37psi) quicker than even the stock 35/12 did.
Its for sure quicker spooling than the Edge/DD Jammer Ball Bearing that was on it before.

with a 14cm housing, it should be good for a peak of 430hp or so. Im not sure about useable power yet, but Im around 380hp (913, #0, etc) right now and it cools good. I can still peg the 1500* pyro at will though.

--Jeff

Old 10-17-2006, 09:25 PM   #5
97crewcab

Name: 97crewcab
Title: Wrong.
Member`s Gallery
A housing will probably lower egts but you won't beable to get much more boost out of the hx35 because you will exit the efficiency range and the chance of it lasting. The HTT upgrades will help you move more air too. I would upgrade the turbo to an HX40 or S300 variant. The S300 being the better choice if you can afford it.
As for timing 16 degrees seems to work well for trucks with performance mods.

Closed Thread