Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Vendor Row > Sponsor Forums > FASS Fuel Systems
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

FASS Fuel Systems High Performance Fuel Delivery System

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 09:36 AM   #41
justinlw

Name: justinlw
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Hey Dan,
I have a 150/90-2014 that has been having priming problems. Any time I drain the water separator or change the filter I can not get it to prime on it's own. If I crack the filter it will prime, but if I don't go drive the truck around for at least 10min afterwards it will lose prim again when the key turns off. Any suggestions? I believe the pump is still under warranty.

I am running an 80# spring with a -10psi fitting that I got from David at DI. The pump is hooked into the factory lines as shown in the instructions, and I hardly have any return flow back to the filler neck. Could the pump be leaking internally?

Thanks,
Justin

Old 04-03-2009, 09:50 AM   #42
justinlw

Member`s Gallery
Added truck info to my sig.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:57 AM   #43
Diesel-Dan

Name: Diesel-Dan
Title: Just another Texas Boy...
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinlw View Post
Hey Dan,
I have a 150/90-2014 that has been having priming problems. Any time I drain the water separator or change the filter I can not get it to prime on it's own. If I crack the filter it will prime, but if I don't go drive the truck around for at least 10min afterwards it will lose prim again when the key turns off. Any suggestions? I believe the pump is still under warranty.

I am running an 80# spring with a -10psi fitting that I got from David at DI. The pump is hooked into the factory lines as shown in the instructions, and I hardly have any return flow back to the filler neck. Could the pump be leaking internally?

Thanks,
Justin

The lack of return fuel could be the reason for your hard prime. That is how the FASS purges the air. When you crack the filter that bleeds the air and allows the gear to catch fuel....you will still have an air pocket at the top of the filter. If there is no return fuel...where does that air pocket go with the pump is shut off? Back up to the gear and pump looses prime again.

80 PSI is MAX pressure for that pump. Actually with spring % error...our high pressure relief could be down as low as 75ish PSI. SO you might be just sitting on that high pressure relief which is not good….FASS is not designed to run like that. I would suggest swapping back to the spring that came with the pump. Should have been a MRT-1001 and a PS-1014. Should stick you in the 65 PSI range……

2006 Dodge 2500 4x4 - EFI Live (MCS Tuned) and 100 HP injectors Built Suncoast Tranny

2002 VW Jetta TDI, Frank Irving Stage II cam, Bozio PP764 nozzles, VNT17 and Malone Stage 4 Tuning

Old 04-03-2009, 10:01 AM   #44
justinlw

Member`s Gallery
Will it remain in that range even with the factory FPR bleeding off pressure? The spring and fitting that came with it is 55psi, and I was worried that it wouldn't allow the Factory FPR to bleed air from the filter housing if I ever open the lines.

I trust you're advice, I'm just trying to understand how this works.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:15 PM   #45
Diesel-Dan

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinlw View Post
Will it remain in that range even with the factory FPR bleeding off pressure? The spring and fitting that came with it is 55psi, and I was worried that it wouldn't allow the Factory FPR to bleed air from the filter housing if I ever open the lines.

I trust you're advice, I'm just trying to understand how this works.

Well i failed to notice that you had the 90 GPH. You need to check you stock pick-up in the tank. We have had issue with these as they have some sort of a recirculation system in them that will fail and become a restriction. This could cause you issues like you are seeing. Try sucking and returning fuel out of a bucket and see if that helps any or does the same.

The 90 GPH can also push 80 PSI as its high pressure cut-in is set at 135ish psi.....so you should be returning fuel from the FASS.....if not...you factory FPR might be popping off too soon and not giving us good resistance to make pressure. Easy test is to get the FASS running and pinch off the engine feed line. If the FASS starts to move more fuel through the return, you need to look at getting a tighter spring on the filter head....want to say Elite diesel has something like that....or David might as well....give him a call since he is vested in this project.

2006 Dodge 2500 4x4 - EFI Live (MCS Tuned) and 100 HP injectors Built Suncoast Tranny

2002 VW Jetta TDI, Frank Irving Stage II cam, Bozio PP764 nozzles, VNT17 and Malone Stage 4 Tuning

Old 04-03-2009, 01:22 PM   #46
justinlw

Member`s Gallery
I'll put the gauge on it this weekend and experiment a little, I've seen some guys use a bb to tighten the FPR spring on the 6.0l. Thanks for all your help, I appreciate it.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:03 PM   #47
JFlagg

Name: JFlagg
Title: Gun for Hire
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel-Dan View Post
I show that to be a FASS 150/150-1009 built on 5/9/2007. That is a low pressure 12 valve Dodge kit. The pump itself will work fine but you will need to get:
  • The fittings for the CP3 (PL-1003 and DIPF-1001)
  • STK-1001
  • WH-1004 harness
  • RM-1002-P

Use our Dealer Locater to find a dealer to help you with pricing and such:

http://www.fassride.com/DealerLocato...9/Default.aspx

OK...you got the old school unit with the "Between the filter" Bracket. You will need 3 shorts and one long to mount that T-Block. SO you lost one short.

You do have a draw tube right?
Yes, once again, I do have a draw tube... How many times are you going to ask me that?

And I think I have the old style, I'll get one of each on the bolts, not like an 1/4x20 grade 8 is that expensive, lol.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:26 PM   #48
Diesel-Dan

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlagg View Post
Yes, once again, I do have a draw tube... How many times are you going to ask me that?
I guess as many as it take to see if it fits in my rear i guess.....

Old 04-08-2009, 12:20 PM   #49
ROSKOE115

Name: ROSKOE115
Title: SLICKER THAN A FRESH BASS
Member`s Gallery
What is different on install of a DDRP on a vp truck with the retro fit in tank pump. Does it come with the items to do this???

Thanks.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
3.0 ecodiesel 4X4 Overland

Old 04-08-2009, 01:07 PM   #50
Diesel-Dan

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by roskoe115 View Post
What is different on install of a DDRP on a vp truck with the retro fit in tank pump. Does it come with the items to do this???

Thanks.
Does not include the items to make it work. This pump is designed to be a drop in for a stock, unmodified truck. BUT if you are aware of the retrofit, talk to your dealer and have them call me. I can build a kit that will allow the use of a suction tube kit.

We will have an offical and optional line kit and harness kit for the DDRP here in a few months. Until then we can just build as needed.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:56 PM   #51
haloman

Name: haloman
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Dan,

I am having some issues with my DDRP (01 in sig Bone stock). On Monday it was fine (WOT a couple of times to pass), Last night I got on it to pass someone (WOT in fifth) and my low fuel PSI light came on. I have no reason to believe the sensor would be bad, it has detected my other two LP failures correctly as verified by actual gauge. This was right after (20 miles)I filled up with fuel. My problem sounds awful similiar to this guys problem but I cant read past the first post.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...p-failure.html

I have no leaks/wetness or anything I can see. It doesnt come on except at WOT but didnt on Monday.

I know the pump is under warranty, I just dont want to go thru the trouble if there is something else going on.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:31 PM   #52
Diesel-Dan

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by haloman View Post
Dan,

I am having some issues with my DDRP (01 in sig Bone stock). On Monday it was fine (WOT a couple of times to pass), Last night I got on it to pass someone (WOT in fifth) and my low fuel PSI light came on. I have no reason to believe the sensor would be bad, it has detected my other two LP failures correctly as verified by actual gauge. This was right after (20 miles)I filled up with fuel. My problem sounds awful similiar to this guys problem but I cant read past the first post.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...p-failure.html

I have no leaks/wetness or anything I can see. It doesnt come on except at WOT but didnt on Monday.

I know the pump is under warranty, I just dont want to go thru the trouble if there is something else going on.

First off.....NEVER trust a light.....not I’m not saying to ignore it, but you do need to confirm it. Would be very helpful to know what the pump is doing under load.

OK.....few things......DDRP's put in place of lift pumps that have had line issues are doomed the same fate. Dare i even say that some good stock Carter pumps are replaced just because they have a bum rap? Rather than feed this "If you got low pressure replace the pump" mantra....I might like to explore as to maybe why you are seeing low pressure issues with multiple pump’s.

First off, get a gauge on there. This will be needed to test with.

Then on the inlet of our pump in the banjo, there should be a 144um wire mesh screen. Once you get a base line pressure reading under load and such, pull the screen and see what it does with out it. Might be clogged or dirty. Clean when you got out.

ALSO see what it does at idle with just flooring the throttle to red line. See if the pressure drops down a good amt. If it does, pull the quick disconnect off at the inlet and hose clamp a line to the feed line to the DDRP. Then get a small container of fuel and run the truck off of it. Repeat test and see how it does.

We have seen several issues with stock sending units cause restriction probs and cause the DDRP to drop in pressure. I want to cover all our bases before we condemn the pump.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:50 PM   #53
haloman

Member`s Gallery
I am going to work with my Performance dealer (L and L Diesel) and see what he can get me a FP guage setup for. It will probably next weekend before I can get it to the shop. I am just going to drive it easy until then.

The history on my LPs have been, got the truck, several months later put on light and verified low fuel psi, replaced pump, 1.5 years later replaced Carter with DDRP.

Quote:
First off.....NEVER trust a light.....not I’m not saying to ignore it, but you do need to confirm it. Would be very helpful to know what the pump is doing under load.

OK.....few things......DDRP's put in place of lift pumps that have had line issues are doomed the same fate. Dare i even say that some good stock Carter pumps are replaced just because they have a bum rap? Rather than feed this "If you got low pressure replace the pump" mantra....I might like to explore as to maybe why you are seeing low pressure issues with multiple pump’s.

First off, get a gauge on there. This will be needed to test with.

Then on the inlet of our pump in the banjo, there should be a 144um wire mesh screen. Once you get a base line pressure reading under load and such, pull the screen and see what it does with out it. Might be clogged or dirty. Clean when you got out.

ALSO see what it does at idle with just flooring the throttle to red line. See if the pressure drops down a good amt. If it does, pull the quick disconnect off at the inlet and hose clamp a line to the feed line to the DDRP. Then get a small container of fuel and run the truck off of it. Repeat test and see how it does.

We have seen several issues with stock sending units cause restriction probs and cause the DDRP to drop in pressure. I want to cover all our bases before we condemn the pump.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:35 PM   #54
haloman

Member`s Gallery
Dan,

Another thought that has crossed my mind. Coud it be a faulty fuel tank cap? I just thought about checking it and it seemed awful "wobbly" from side to side, coud that cause this isse?

Old 04-16-2009, 12:42 PM   #55
lowfly

Name: lowfly
Title: FASS Technician
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Dan,

Another thought that has crossed my mind. Coud it be a faulty fuel tank cap? I just thought about checking it and it seemed awful "wobbly" from side to side, coud that cause this isse?

I wouldnt think so. That might cause a loss of prime or a gurgle sound but loss of PSI is not likely.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:01 PM   #56
Diesel-Dan

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfly View Post
I wouldnt think so. That might cause a loss of prime or a gurgle sound but loss of PSI is not likely.
Quote:
Dan,

Actually you want the tank to vent.....shouldn't cause any issue at all......

IF the tank was not venting and it was pulling a vacuum...could have an issue there...

Old 04-16-2009, 01:15 PM   #57
haloman

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfly View Post
Quote:
Actually you want the tank to vent.....shouldn't cause any issue at all......

IF the tank was not venting and it was pulling a vacuum...could have an issue there...
Ok thanks, it should be venting fine then. Trying to rule out all simple fixes by next weekend. Sometimes I think I am too OCD about my truck.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:54 PM   #58
haloman

Member`s Gallery
Dan, Can you send me the tracking number for my Warranty pump? It is going to Luke H a L and L diesel in Clay, KY. I am hoping its going to be there today or tommorow. Trying to plan out my weekend tenatively.

Thanks.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:54 PM   #59
Diesel-Dan

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Dan, Can you send me the tracking number for my Warranty pump? It is going to Luke H a L and L diesel in Clay, KY. I am hoping its going to be there today or tommorow. Trying to plan out my weekend tenatively.

Thanks.
Done...check you PM's

Old 04-23-2009, 02:54 PM   #60
haloman

Member`s Gallery
Got it thanks Dan! You the man.

Closed Thread