Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 08:46 AM   #1
James.S

Name: James.S
Title: Let her eat!
Member`s Gallery
Industrial Injection Boxer 58 turbo review

I noticed a while back when I was researching about the boxer 58 14cm, that there was not a lot of information about the turbo. Truck is a 02 2500 with nv5600 and 180k miles.

Durning this period I ran the turbo for three months with 3 different injectors, quadzilla adrenaline tuner(pod), and two 1800 mile trips with weights being 10k(enclosed) 12.5k(flatbed). And some shorter trips with similar weight.
I monitored the engine with isspro gauges, fuel/boost/egts. And hand calculated fuel mileage.

Fuel mileage: not loaded
Stock: 14.3mpg
75hp: 15.4mpg
100hp: 14.8 mpg

Fuel mileage: loaded 10-12.5k averages
Stock: 11.23
75hp: 12.08 mpg
100hp: 11.7

Ok so let’s get started
First set up boxer 58, stock injectors, quad set on PL01. The truck originally had a hx35 on it. I did not notice a great improvement in spool time, if anything it seemed to lag slightly more than with the hx35. And egts we’re running a little higher from 1600-1900, controllable but higher. Once the turbo spools it would level out and maintain 800-900 on flat ground at 65mph. Turbo had a decent whistle but seemed to be lacking in psi. Overall not impressed.

Next I swapped a set of farmboy’s 75hp injectors. This really woke up the turbo charger on the lower rpm range, and was impressed that my egts were lower when getting up to freeway speeds. It was hard to get egts over 1100. And smoke was minimal. Also my cruising speeds(65mph) were holding egts between 700-800ish. But I still felt my max boost was not at the desired level. It was hard to get above 35psi.

The last set up was with a set of DDP injectors, 100hp. Being that these injectors typically run “dirty” I was expecting more smoke. It was incredibly hard to keep the egts down at first and would smoke like crazy. I later found out I had a boost leak. Once it was fixed, egts were more manageable but still was very Smokey. The turbo really woke up with the 100hp injectors. I could build boost up to 39psi. Cruising speed egts were around 800-900, which was the same as stock! But the throttle response was night and day. I really liked how the 100hp injectors worked with this turbo.

I plan to go back to a 75hpish sized injector, as I believe this is the most ideal size for this turbo. But will be looking at the exergy injectors.

Overall I’m impressed with the turbo for towing, and daily driving. If racing or sled pulling is your goal then this is NOT the turbo for you.

A couple of notes to add, when installing the turbo, you might have to clock the turbo, and you will have to modify the oil return line to a soft rubber line, and I had to get a longer boot to get a proper seal on the charge pipe. Lastly I ordered the turbo with the billet wheel.

Hope this helps with anyone looking at the boxer 58 turbo in the future.

Closed Thread