03 cr/ppump 24 swap???

tdcummins99

Hey guys I got a 03 qcsb with a bd 48re 4x4. The engine dropped 2 valves on me twice in one year. I am wanting to put a ppump 24 valve in it. But im not real sure what I would be getting into. So here goes with my questions... 1st how would I wire it up to my stock guage cluster? 2nd would a stand alone pcm be all I need to make the 48re do what I needed? 3rd I have a cr block,head,injectors,turbo,pistons,ect.. can I sell some of the parts and keep the block and head to make the ppump 24 or would it be easier to buy a 12 valve engine complete? Thanks guy for any information and suggestions. I think this would be a cool build for and also be unique. Thanks again tyler

I would think you could ppump the CR but could be wrong only thing i would think need different would be the head but again could be wrong

I would think you could ppump the CR but could be wrong only thing i would think need different would be the head but again could be wrong

the way i understand it the commonrail has strait cut timing gears so all that would have to be converted to the older 24v ones. I think the 24v injectors will go in the cr head but it will require special tubes and lines. I cant remember for sure but i read something on some issues with the timing cover aligning on either the cr 5.9's or 6.7's

the way i understand it the commonrail has strait cut timing gears so all that would have to be converted to the older 24v ones. I think the 24v injectors will go in the cr head but it will require special tubes and lines. I cant remember for sure but i read something on some issues with the timing cover aligning on either the cr 5.9's or 6.7's

The CR tubes and tube nuts will work fine - a different set of lines is needed however.

The CR oil pan, block, and 12v timing cover don't exactly line up.

easier swap if you used a storm block (98 or newer 12/24V) block. You can fit the 12V gearbox housing onto the CR block, but its not easy and you'll need to do some measuring to make sure the gears are set right. I have put in oil pump out of 24V, 24VP crank, cam 24VP, 12V injection pump, with the 12 valve gear box. The crank gear need come off the 24CR crank and a 12V/24VP gear installed. I plan on running 24VP rods, 12V pistons and a 12V head, on a CR block, just doing it to see if it works.

Last edited:
Back