Tubular Exhaust Manifold

SPEEDSHIFT

I have been researching these tubular exhaust manifolds for a while now and finally decided to build one. I was really in-between a equal length header verses just a free'er flowing header. I decided to go with a free flowing header and see how I like it. I built this on the cheap, no waterjeted flanges, no tig welds, I made everything except for the bends. The whole header will be mig welded and possibly high temp coated. It is made of 1.5" ID sch40 bends and pipe. I still have quite a bit of fitting and porting to make it all flow together, I have about 10hrs in this peice so far.

IMG_1989.jpg

IMG_1988.jpg

looks good, let us know how that works out, how much do you have in materials if you dont mind me asking?

All in all, about $140. Thanks.:Cheer:

thats not bad at all, see how it goes, if you pick up any horses it may be something that you could start producing, im gonna be putting another truck together in the future and i think im going to build one for it!:rockwoot:

shoulda split the pulses correctly :(

common rail trucks wont accept that, look at the stock manifold in the second pic above the header. its the same as the one he has fabbed up.

do you plan on leaving the flange all one piece or are you going to cut it so it can flex when the heat makes it contract and expand?

Forest: the two main runners going to the turbo flange are not divided so I didn't think it would be a big deal.

2000wv :No I plan on leaving it whole, do you think I will have problems? I have seen others with solid head flanges.

Thanks for the input guys, I take it all constructively.:thankyou2:

thats not bad at all, see how it goes, if you pick up any horses it may be something that you could start producing, im gonna be putting another truck together in the future and i think im going to build one for it!:rockwoot:

I dont see it making alot of hp, I really just wanted some egt reduction. I hear some decrease egts by 200*, that would be awesome!

Here is the one I am kind-of basing it on....

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4123&d=1186197358

well as far as these engines, no i havent seen any problems yet, but take into consideration that stock as well as ats and others are all divided. on race car headers most of the time the big tube headers are cut in between just in case you need to flex it to get it lined up, or for expansion purposes. you wont need to cut out the shape like on the stock style manifold, just an 1/8 inch slot would be plenty, i would wait till tomorrow to let some other guys voice their opinion, im just throwing it out there so you can think about it so you wont have to take it back off in the future to cut it after its coated, but it really is a nice piece!:Cheer:

I dont see it making alot of hp, I really just wanted some egt reduction. I hear some decrease egts by 200*, that would be awesome!

Here is the one I am kind-of basing it on....

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4123&d=1186197358

well i think yours will probably reduce egt's better for the fact it will have no back pressure. those others like that look cool but i dont see where that is needed on a turbo charged engine, there is a drive pressure getting the exhaust out it doesnt need to be tuned to pull the heat out, im starting to ramble...:hehe:

well i think yours will probably reduce egt's better for the fact it will have no back pressure. those others like that look cool but i dont see where that is needed on a turbo charged engine, there is a drive pressure getting the exhaust out it doesnt need to be tuned to pull the heat out, im starting to ramble...:hehe:

That is how I see it as well, those others look great, but my time is pressed and this is just to see how well these acually work. If I dont see any difference... at least it looks better than the stock one.:hehe:

Thanks again.

common rail trucks wont accept that, look at the stock manifold in the second pic above the header. its the same as the one he has fabbed up.

while restrictive, the 3rd gen manifold does split the pulses... 3cyls to each half of the turbine inlet.

it's not going to hurt you they way you've got it, but I would have just built it with the turbo in the center like a 2nd gen setup.

looks good though, and I don't think you'll have any cracking probs :cool:

looks great , and I like the simplicity of it , the header I have been selling are .125 thick stainless, I have water jetted plates if you need then ,

Stock third gen manifolds are split 2 back volute and 4 front volute, not 3 and 3. Some guys think this is why third gens are kinda raspy and don't sound nearly as cool as a second gen. Throw a late second gen manifold on a third gen and raspy sound goes away.

Good work. I am glad guys are trying this for themselves. I plan on making one for my truck in the next month or so.

Stock third gen manifolds are split 2 back volute and 4 front volute, not 3 and 3.

Check the pictures above again, and follow each cylinder's runner on the 3rd gen manifold.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the good comments. :Cheer:

This is my first one, so I will learn from my mistakes and improve on the next one, so if you guys see anything else that could be improved Im glad to hear it. I will take some videos before and after to see if it changes the way it sounds. I have no data logger so what my egts do, will be based on my regular ole pyro.

I will make a 2nd gen style next for my twins setup.

Stock third gen manifolds are split 2 back volute and 4 front volute, not 3 and 3. Some guys think this is why third gens are kinda raspy and don't sound nearly as cool as a second gen. Throw a late second gen manifold on a third gen and raspy sound goes away.

I've got a 3rd gen manifold sitting right here... the cylinders are divided front three and back three. they're not equal in flow by any means, but they are divided front and rear

if I keep the '04 it's getting a single turbo mounted 1st/2nd gen style

Back