Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 2007.5-2013 6.7L
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 11:45 AM   #1
wideopen

Name: wideopen
Title: Slum Lord
Member`s Gallery
Cleaning Particulate Filters

Recieved this in an E-mail thought that it might be useful?

Quote:
CLEANING PARTICULATE FILTERS

We have heard from different sources that the particulate filters on the new trucks can be cleaned if they get plugged. We finally received the following letter from a dealership outlining the cleaning steps they go through to do this. It could be helpful for you to know in case you hear of this issue. It has happened and could happen at some point with the higher performance tunes in the new trucks. Although all the current products are designed to work with the particulate filter and keep it clean, just in case, you may need to know what to do if one gets plugged. We have heard of the LMM being cleaned the same way and assume the Ford would work too. This below is for the new Dodge.

“Thanks again for the good technical info on the 6.7 Cummins. As we discussed the particulate filters are very costly and availability is very limited. We have had great success in cleaning a plugged particulate filter in the following way…..

The particulate filter must be removed from the vehicle and allowed to cool down ( overnight is best but use your best judgement as to not have too much of a temperature differential when you wash it out). We place a pig mat underneath the filter so as not to wash the soot down the drain and steam clean/pressure wash the inside of the particulate filter starting from the rear (non flange side) and simply wash the filter element out making sure to pressure wash the entire exposed surface pushing water through to filtering element. Then turn the assembly over and wash from the flange side. We do not use any cleaners or solvents ONLY hot water under pressure. Solvents or cleaners may create a problem due to the extremely high temperatures during regeneration. Once you have pressure washed from both sides starting from the non flange side, blow it out with air to remove excess water and re-install. This has effectively taken filters at 100% immediately down to 30% or less and will allow the vehicle to be driven to finish the cleaning via the trucks normal regeneration cycle. While there is no technical bulletin that has directed us to do this, we have done this successfully many times. It became a necessity for us to take care of our customers in a timely fashion, as I’m sure you already know, the availability of replacement filters is very limited not to mention the cost. Hope this will help, Thanks for all your technical info. Call me if you have any further questions and I will do the same.”

Larry H. Miller Chrysler Jeep Dodge

Hellmann Performance ~ Keating Machine ~ Engineered Diesel ~ Mumau Diesel ~ GoGo Diesel ~ Hamilton Cams ~ Diesel Innovations ~ Grand Rock Exhaust ~ Smarty

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Molon labe
#FTCS

Old 08-07-2007, 09:01 AM   #2
Digger_717

Name: Digger_717
Title: Banned
Member`s Gallery
I'll be damed if I paid $40,000+ for a truck and have to ever "wash" the exhaust out.

I'll burn the truck first...I swear to GOD on that.

Old 08-11-2007, 12:39 AM   #3
OM617

Name: OM617
Title: Banned
Member`s Gallery
I'd look for a programmer and exhaust kit that can delete the EGR and post-turbo chokers before I put the money down for a 6.7L Cummins.

Old 08-19-2007, 03:39 PM   #4
dsl kicks gas

Name: dsl kicks gas
Title: Runnin on Broke
Member`s Gallery
id say clean it out with a rod and a sledg hammer or a nice new peice of pipe....the way it looks id never own one.

Old 08-22-2007, 02:03 PM   #5
barry1me

Name: barry1me
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wideopen
Recieved this in an E-mail thought that it might be useful?

rumor has it I work for a company that designs DPF's in fact the company first brought DPF technology to the automotive market. Unless you talk to DCX engineering specifically I highly suggest not putting water into your DPF. It may ruin the mat mount support....then your DPF is guaranteed to fail.

Old 08-22-2007, 02:48 PM   #6
MD-LUCKY

Name: MD-LUCKY
Title: Difficult To Pronounce...
Member`s Gallery
They make a tool to "clean" the DPF.......

Click the image to open in full size.

Closed Thread