2007.5 overflow tank filling every time truck sees boost, coolant in ic hose

SCHMITTY

Not enough time
So my buddy dropped his truck off at my house with some arp 425s , rail plug, cummins brand headgasket. The truck has the h&s egr delete, edge tuner, afe intake. I started working on it and when I pulled the intake horn off I noticed a bunch of coolant in a puddle in the ic boot. I can't think of where it would be coming from. Are the vgt turbos known to leak ? The truck adds coolant to the over flow tank if you boost over 10 psi. The radiator and overflow tank coolant looks like there are little globs of oil and bubbles in it. I pulled the hose off the turbo and its dry inside. I'd hate to change his headgasket and have it end up being the turbo that was leaking. Tia

Last edited:
I can't come up with a theory for the coolant in the charge air system but I'd suspect the engine oil cooler as a possible cause for the oil in the coolant. It could go the other way also; coolant in the oil after the engine is shut off and near or up to normal operating temperature. You might pull it for pressure testing to verify.

With the engine cold, do you see bubbles forming in the coolant while the engine is running? Either looking in the radiator with the cap off or overflow/recovery tank?

Most would typically lean towards a headgasket failure if coolant is being pushed back in the overflow/recovery tank under significant charge air pressures. Seeing it at 10psi would concern me. The oil and bubbles being forced into the coolant could be a result of the headgasket as well if it failed in the right place.

On a somewhat related side note... Why does the turbo look sooty on the compressor side?

Last edited:
I should say at 10 psi it was fine, I took it for a drive and hit 20 psi and it had added quite a bit and I could see little oil drops in it and the radiator. Do vgt turbos ever leak coolant internally and leak it into the charge air system ?

I just smelled the air cleaner / sock covering it smelled of antifreeze. I bet it boiled over and it sucked a bunch up. Would that make sense ?

Also check all your coolant connections arpund the T-stat and radiator cap. Possible a loose fitting being pushed open under psi.

I just smelled the air cleaner / sock covering it smelled of antifreeze. I bet it boiled over and it sucked a bunch up. Would that make sense ?

I'd say that's a good possibility. About the only explanation I can think of. Sounds like he more than likely still has head gasket issues

He said he did spill some right before he brought it over. Because it keeps overfilling the the overflow and it wants to overheat if it is ran for a long time. Also said the heater was blowing cold air a few weeks ago. The local shop said they would resurface the head for 120$. The anti freeze mishap did make the ic hoses have a nice layer of sticky in them. The intake on the head is full of black crud and now a nice sticky coolant coating on top.

Do you guys re torque 425s ? I was thinking about torquing it up and letting it sit overnight and checking the torque again.

Depends on what the manufacturer says about their product. Case in point, ARP's website states that if you follow their installation instructions, "there should be no need to do a re-torque. However, it may be necessary under certain circumstances if the gasket manufacturer’s instructions require it, particularly if a fire ring has been installed. ARP recommends not doing a re-torque on a hot engine."

Update- gasket was blown between 4 and 5. There was even a little carbon were it happened. I took a sharpening stone and wd40 to the top of the block, the machinist had to take off .006 to get the head flat. I also let the bed sit overnight torqued up, in the Morning most of the nuts took another 1/2 turn before they would click the torque wrench, and after a third pass they were still taking another 1/8 of a turn. I ended up at 135 ft lbs and I will be doing another retorque later this week. The rocker pedastals required grinding to clear the arp washers and the aluminum rocker cover required clearencing along the exhaust manifold side of the head as well as on of the rear most studs by the firewall- but that is mentioned in the instructions

Back