Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Shop Talk - Tool and Shop Discussion!
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shop Talk - Tool and Shop Discussion! Tool and Shop Discussion!

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 03:00 AM   #1
Bosshawg600

Name: Bosshawg600
Title: PDP.com FireFighter
Member`s Gallery
Good Idea?????

So, the more I think about it, the more I realize I need a shop. Working out in my drive way isnt the best option. Right now I have a project truck that I am working on in basically an old Round Bale Hay Barn.

My question revolves around turning that into a propper shop. Now right now it has turned into a storage area for the family, its no longer used. The framework itself is auctually realy good. Wood is still in great shape....everything else....Meh....Right now its dirt floors and simple tin siding. Measures out to be around 40x60 maybe a little bigger. Beams are about 12-14ft. Side sliding 15ft wide doors on each end.

Biggest things its going to need are electricty. There are no lights and only one outlet that is older than most of us on here!!! But how much work would it auctually be to run an entire shop with outlets, lights and everything needed? After electricty, then it would be insulated and new windows put in. Then possibly heated concrete.

Should this even be a consideration or is it easier to start new and build a new shop from the ground up?

Old 01-27-2012, 05:49 AM   #2
Knoberman

Name: Knoberman
Title: swapping
Member`s Gallery
If its a good sructure the size you need tall enough etc... I say go for it. Wiring it up wouldnt be a problem
I went to a Disney movie the other day and almost saw a mermaid tit.

Last edited by Knoberman; 01-27-2012 at 05:57 AM.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:52 AM   #3
homewrecker

Name: homewrecker
Title: gear jammer
Member`s Gallery
I cant comment on electrical cost but I own/operate concrete pumps so can give you some cost there. Based off your 40x60 thats 2400sg ft. At 4" thick youre looking at 30yds of concrete. Going off prices in my area that will run you $3000-4000 depending on mix design(psi rating) and addidtives like fiber. If you do all the prep and forming yourself you can get it slick finished for $.75-$1 a sg ft with sawcuts for joints. As for radiant heat I have no idea what that cost but the hot water piping is probably the most efficient. Im basing these prices off of my area and contacts I have. If I had a structure in place like you have I would go for it. It may not be ideal but its better than nothing. Im in the same boat, working on trucks in the driveway or carport and weather dictating what I can get done at times. A 40x60 would be my ideal size. 3 bay doors down the 60 foot side and deep enough to double vehicles up in each bay. I say go for it. Maybe poor half if its not in the budget to do it all at once.

tapatalking from droidx

05 2500 QC Laramie sport
Garmon built tranny
FI 63/68/.91 ETR-HO S480/92/1.25
dual pumps
105% injectors

Old 01-27-2012, 06:26 AM   #4
BtsNhoS

Name: BtsNhoS
Title: I need a truck
Member`s Gallery
Do it, I wish I had that kind of opportunity to get a nice shop. send some pics over of what your workin with. Electricity should be to hard, just dont kill yourself haha

Old 01-27-2012, 07:43 AM   #5
CSnyder

Name: CSnyder
Title: Snyder-Motorsports
Member`s Gallery
If you want to keep cost down you could section one area of the building out for a shop area. Growing up my dad built a 100 x 220 building and he let me section off a 30 x 40 area off to the side and I put up walls and insulation and got a wiring book for dummies at Home Depot and thats were he and I did alot of projects together. The money I made out of it soon paid for the costs. You could do a few side jobs with diesels to help pay for it. I painted farm equipment and did simple equipment repairs and some car and truck work and kept a seperate "shop" account and it helped me pay cash for a new truck right out of highschool and a small farmhouse where I built my own new shop eventually.

If the building already has a breaker box in it you can buy a new sub panel for roughly 100 bucks and get it all wired in yourself. A wiring book for dummies at Home Depot will have references to keep it up to par for code. I still have my book from years ago and used it not too long ago to wire up my 36 x 52 building. Id be happy to mail it down if you want to use it.

There is a HUGE difference between cocky and confident when it comes to engine building.

Last edited by CSnyder; 01-27-2012 at 07:46 AM.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:30 AM   #6
4x4dually

Name: 4x4dually
Title: Moderator
Member`s Gallery
You can do the wiring. It is easy. I can sketch up simple instructions that can help you do it once you decided on the floor plan and what you want where. You can even run the service from the meter. There's nothin' to it. Just hollar when you are ready.

"There are people far less intelligent than you making a living doing this stuff." - Jeff Mumau

Old 01-27-2012, 02:23 PM   #7
Triple 7

Name: Triple 7
Title: Black Smoke Sickness
Member`s Gallery
For what its worth I have a 40x80 pole barn and I blocked off 30x40 for my shop. It's all I will ever need and its very easy to heat.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #8
RedDye

Name: RedDye
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Just remember whenever you start this project, if you have an idea that is within budget and sounds like a good idea, do it. Trust me it's a lot easier to do it now rather than wishing you would have done it.

Borrowing Money For a Living to Farm for a Hobby

Old 01-27-2012, 09:09 PM   #9
johnstontruckin

Name: johnstontruckin
Member`s Gallery
I would say go for it. If you had to erect a new building that size it would prolly be 15 to 20k just for the building unfinished, If someone put it up for you. That is an ideal size building and with that height you could easily install a lift in the future

Old 01-27-2012, 09:23 PM   #10
Shawdrainage

Name: Shawdrainage
Title: Shaw
Member`s Gallery
Keep your building, but I would add a small one beside it. Make the new one your shop with heated floor and good insulation and a good lift. Keep your air compressor and extra parts in the old one.

Sometimes its easier and cheaper to build new then remodel an old one.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:27 PM   #11
Shawdrainage

Name: Shawdrainage
Title: Shaw
Member`s Gallery
Keep in mind that a good Amish crew can put up a 40x40 with a 15' tall by 20' wide door for 10k. Thats labor and material!

Old 01-27-2012, 09:39 PM   #12
johnstontruckin

Name: johnstontruckin
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawdrainage View Post
Keep in mind that a good Amish crew can put up a 40x40 with a 15' tall by 20' wide door for 10k. Thats labor and material!
D@mn send them to my house I cant get a contracter to give me the time of day. I have been trying to build a shop for a while now lol

Old 01-28-2012, 06:10 AM   #13
Bosshawg600

Name: Bosshawg600
Title: PDP.com FireFighter
Member`s Gallery
Thanks Guys! Next time Im out there Ill ge some pics to show what Im working with.

I do like the idea of just doing a few sections of concrete at a time. Maybe do 1/4 of the building at a time. But the good thing is I used to do concrete work. so I can save some money on setting it all up and getting it pour ready.

As far as electrical work, I could do quite a lot by myself. Realy Im more worried about setting up a breaker box....thats a bit out of my range. but as far as setting up lights and running wires for them, that I can do.

First and foremost I think just a basic clean up would go far, then start working on sealing up the windows and getting the doors operational....Ive never seen them shut in 27 years and never had to shut them......

After that Ill insulate, the run wireing and lights. Prepping the floor will be the most work. As some of you can attest to, a barn full of hay on dirt floors lets quite a lot of critters burrow all kinds of holes through the floor........I think taking it all down about a foot and then laying a good layer of gravel should do wonders and make it ready for concrete!

Auctually this barn does have potential. Its oddly set up and is auctually in 3 portions. 1st part is the main building that is the full 40x60, then almost like a lean-to all down one side. Basically like one long side was extended 10' out but only has a 10' roof. That would make a great Fab/work bench area. Then a small part that used to be a chicken coop....Not much use out of that other than I could make it into a utility room for odds and ends......

Old 01-30-2012, 05:21 AM   #14
The Pooler

Name: The Pooler
Title: Diesel Puller
Member`s Gallery
Your options for electric are either sub-feeding from a existing service nearby or put a new service dedicated for your shop. But theres variables within each option. How close is the nearest service? Is it 100amp or 200amp? Do you have space in the main panel or disconnect load center for a sub feed circuit?

The best option is a new dedicated service...However check with your power company because most power companies policies state. After 1 service at a given address any other services with be considered commercial and you will be charged commercial rates! Now depending on what kind of service you want (overhead or underground) will directly reflect cost. Underground being the more expensive because from the point of the service drop or transformer pad you will be responsable for running 3" Sch 40 conduit.

Hope this little bit of info helps you. If have any more questions feel free to PM me. I don't know your power providers specific code but i'll do my best to help you. For the most part it should be the same because NEC states all electrical providers must meet current NEC codes but are allowed to exceed them. Good Luck!
The Puller-95 3500
Special Thanks to MOTORSPORT DIESEL,HAISLEY MACHINE,KEYSTONE DIESEL

Closed Thread