Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > General Diesel Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Tech Farm equipment, Medium Duty, Big Rigs, and other General discussion can be found in here.

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 01:03 PM   #21
Trojan366

Name: Trojan366
Title: trucks are slow
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggy238 View Post
Blown turbos and coolers in what time frame?

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk
The last time we blew a cooler was about 2 years ago and I want to say we lost a turbo about 6 months prior to that.
10.52 @ 132.6
953HP/1452lbft
*Cape Cod Coal Rollers*

Old 12-01-2015, 01:08 PM   #22
biggy238

Name: biggy238
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Aahhh OK.

The diaphragm mixing valves on the C13 need replaced. They thermally shock the coolers and rupture them. CAT has updated parts available.

05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 6.4L cummins Swapped
Insta @trash.panda250

Old 12-01-2015, 01:11 PM   #23
Trojan366

Member`s Gallery
I'm not completely sold on the idea of going to an aftermarket turbo kit but oldguytuner.com seems to be having good luck with them. He said he had multiple fleets that have converted all of their trucks without issues. I like to keep my work trucks easily serviceable and break my duramax haha
10.52 @ 132.6
953HP/1452lbft
*Cape Cod Coal Rollers*

Old 12-01-2015, 01:46 PM   #24
zfaylor

Name: zfaylor
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan366 View Post
I'm not completely sold on the idea of going to an aftermarket turbo kit but oldguytuner.com seems to be having good luck with them. He said he had multiple fleets that have converted all of their trucks without issues. I like to keep my work trucks easily serviceable and break my duramax haha
Is this the same guy that sells fixed geometry conversions for the ISX? We have gotten a few complaints from somebody out there selling them. They fail to inform the customer that they lose a lot of their braking. No Quality Complaints on his workmanship though.

On the single turbo C13:

I offer the kits at my shop but will never convince anybody to buy them. They are good for a guy with a low mileage C13 that wants to keep the truck for a long time or the guy who has convinced himself that is what he needs. It can pay off in that instance. However, a high mileage truck is better off getting new replacement parts and finishing its life that way because the conversion simply will not pay off. Out of all of my cores here the C13 and C15 compounds come in with the best components. No broken shafts, no rubbing of the housings, no burnt up turbines, etc... The only exception are ones with a valve going through them. Moral of the story is the turbos are tough as nails on those. They leak oil long before they grenade.

North American Turbo

Last edited by zfaylor; 12-01-2015 at 01:48 PM.

Old 12-01-2015, 01:55 PM   #25
jfaulkner

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan366 View Post
The cost of replacing factory turbos or the precooler every 50-75k is not exactly appealing to me. As far as performance loss I find it hard to believe that a single on a c-13 would be any worse off than all of our single turbo c-12 powered trucks

Edit: We are not doing this for fun. The truck needs attention and this is not the first time it has had issues

The C12 and C13 couldn't be farther apart if you were comparing a C13 to a Detroit. I've had both and still have one C13 that I would like to bury. Turbos have been the least of its issues. If your going through parts like this you have other issues. If your dead set on doing it be prepared to be disappointed and never make the cost back.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:01 PM   #26
Trojan366

Member`s Gallery
The truck has about 200k miles on it which is around the half way point in it's life here. Based on the fact that we are installing the 3rd turbo on the truck and it is on its 3rd precooler I think it would be safe to assume we would need to replace them each 3 times over the next 200k. We are going to try the single and see how it goes.
10.52 @ 132.6
953HP/1452lbft
*Cape Cod Coal Rollers*

Old 12-01-2015, 02:11 PM   #27
zfaylor

Member`s Gallery
I would personally find myself a good running C12 and swap the entire C13 engine out. Sell the C13 as it still runs well. Tune the C12, get rid of the stub shaft Garrett turbo. Come out very well in the deal and never look back.

North American Turbo

Old 12-01-2015, 02:20 PM   #28
Trojan366

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zfaylor View Post
I would personally find myself a good running C12 and swap the entire C13 engine out. Sell the C13 as it still runs well. Tune the C12, get rid of the stub shaft Garrett turbo. Come out very well in the deal and never look back.
More work than I am looking into dealing with. Trying to get the truck back on the road asap. The motor itself has given us no issue. It is almost all in the turbo setup.
10.52 @ 132.6
953HP/1452lbft
*Cape Cod Coal Rollers*

Old 12-01-2015, 10:12 PM   #29
vinniehobart

Name: vinniehobart
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Did i here something about removing the IVA and swapping parts from a 6NZ? correct me if I am wrong on this? Farmers main concern is oil pressure and has to do with IVA leaking. he said if he is spending the money he wants to go simpler and do single turbo, so he is able to work on it easier if need be and to clean up engine bay since the truck will never be sold. I got invited to talk to a company at the Peoria Farm show in Peoria Illinois about single turbo conversions and having our shop test some of there tunes on repeated customers. I told them I want to optimize stock tuning on the c13 before we make the swap to have numbers to back it up rather than just word of mouth.

2006 F250 6.0 single cab gearhead tuning SX-E S369 RCD 250/150 injectors, Thumper 2, stock 224k mile trans!! 7.90 @89MPH!!

Old 12-02-2015, 07:20 AM   #30
zfaylor

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniehobart View Post
Did i here something about removing the IVA and swapping parts from a 6NZ? correct me if I am wrong on this? Farmers main concern is oil pressure and has to do with IVA leaking. he said if he is spending the money he wants to go simpler and do single turbo, so he is able to work on it easier if need be and to clean up engine bay since the truck will never be sold. I got invited to talk to a company at the Peoria Farm show in Peoria Illinois about single turbo conversions and having our shop test some of there tunes on repeated customers. I told them I want to optimize stock tuning on the c13 before we make the swap to have numbers to back it up rather than just word of mouth.
I assume you spoke with Area diesel given they are big into the single turbo conversions. Really good people. Maybe not given they have had their programmers out for a while now but anyways. Simpler is not necessarily single turbo. Your local CAT dealer probably stocks all of the common failure parts for the C13. Go single turbo and you are waiting for parts on the turbo side of things. Notice none of the problems mentioned typically point to the turbochargers being the issue. A tune and backing the IVAs off will alleviate most of the issues.

I know biggy sent me some info on updates to help deal with oil pressure issues. Eric from Michigan CAT told me one of the biggest issues they have encountered was OTR trucks idling all night with low oil pressure.

I know the engines like to do some magical machine work to the sides of the block with a rod hammer in concrete truck apps where they cycle a ton.

North American Turbo

Last edited by zfaylor; 12-02-2015 at 07:21 AM.

Old 12-02-2015, 07:29 AM   #31
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
I've done a bunch with IVA's deleted and hp added and they do great. 550hp to the tires and never get your hands dirty. Some up to 800k miles and never been touched. The single turbo conversions are a solution to a problem that practically doesn't exist. Had some guys want them done because they keep breaking bellows. Blaming the twins when all it is they didn't align the turbo housings when they reinstalled them.

Old 12-02-2015, 09:16 AM   #32
biggy238

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
I've done a bunch with IVA's deleted and hp added and they do great. 550hp to the tires and never get your hands dirty. Some up to 800k miles and never been touched. The single turbo conversions are a solution to a problem that practically doesn't exist. Had some guys want them done because they keep breaking bellows. Blaming the twins when all it is they didn't align the turbo housings when they reinstalled them.
If only you could read my text messages.

Repeated turbo failures are almost always due to kinked supply lines and openings in the charge air components.

Bellows are almost always damaged. They can be incredibly subtle, to the point you have to stick your hand in and feel the air charge escaping.

Like others have said, the money is better spent on the oil system updates, diverter valve update, and a tune to disable the IVA's.

After that you're just waiting on a rocker to turn sideways at 600k 😈

-Little Sexy
Insta @trash.panda250

Old 12-02-2015, 09:35 AM   #33
RascalMafia

Name: RascalMafia
Title: heyyyyyyy girrrrrrrl
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
This. When bellows are properly aligned, they can live to overhaul.
'01 F350 7.3 / ZF6

Old 12-02-2015, 10:39 AM   #34
zfaylor

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggy238 View Post
If only you could read my text messages.

Repeated turbo failures are almost always due to kinked supply lines and openings in the charge air components.

Bellows are almost always damaged. They can be incredibly subtle, to the point you have to stick your hand in and feel the air charge escaping.

Like others have said, the money is better spent on the oil system updates, diverter valve update, and a tune to disable the IVA's.

After that you're just waiting on a rocker to turn sideways at 600k 😈

Bosnians....

Anybody contemplating the single turbo kit in this thread needs to answer one question for me:

How many turbochargers have you had completely fail on your C13? I mean grenade, destroy a wheel, etc...

North American Turbo

Old 12-02-2015, 11:12 AM   #35
biggy238

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RascalMafia View Post
This. When bellows are properly aligned, they can live to overhaul.
You don't know nuthin' bout no bellows 😁

-Little Sexy
Insta @trash.panda250

Old 12-02-2015, 11:31 AM   #36
vinniehobart

Name: vinniehobart
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Thanks guys! This is why I started the thread. Where could I locate parts for the IVA deletes? is there CAT part # etc. or a thread on CompD doing this? Every farmer in this area has a C13 and they want better mileage. They come to us for Performance and they go to CAT for the rebuilds since cat wont do performance modifications themselves. Anyone on here tune c13 for IVA delete optimal mileage?

2006 F250 6.0 single cab gearhead tuning SX-E S369 RCD 250/150 injectors, Thumper 2, stock 224k mile trans!! 7.90 @89MPH!!

Old 12-02-2015, 12:40 PM   #37
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Thanks guys! This is why I started the thread. Where could I locate parts for the IVA deletes? is there CAT part # etc. or a thread on CompD doing this? Every farmer in this area has a C13 and they want better mileage. They come to us for Performance and they go to CAT for the rebuilds since cat wont do performance modifications themselves. Anyone on here tune c13 for IVA delete optimal mileage?

Just want to clear some things up. Deleting IVA's does nothing for performance or fuel mileage. When they're working like they're supposed to there isn't really any reason to turn them off. However some trucks are plagued with issues from cracked housings to countless solenoids and sensors and turning them off is usually the best fix.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:41 PM   #38
zfaylor

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I can tell you with confidence that this sort of information isn't TYPICALLY given out. There may be a good soul on here that will but most have to spend hours in the CAT engineering software or sorting through files to find their tuning and tend to guard it a little closer than that.

North American Turbo

Old 12-02-2015, 01:26 PM   #39
BRE

Name: BRE
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zfaylor View Post
I can tell you with confidence that this sort of information isn't TYPICALLY given out. There may be a good soul on here that will but most have to spend hours in the CAT engineering software or sorting through files to find their tuning and tend to guard it a little closer than that.

This... I wish I could figure out how to sort through and find the files I'm after. It's a long process.
There really is nothing better than OEM. That goes for anything from turbos to boobs.
RIP Dex KCCO

Old 12-02-2015, 02:10 PM   #40
biggy238

Member`s Gallery
What exactly ARE you after?

-Little Sexy
Insta @trash.panda250