Truckers, lets see your rigs!

Ive got some grain to be hauled and thinking about buying a 379 or 359 Pete with a mechanical Cat or Cummins. Anybody knows where a nice one is for sale let me know. Prefer a small flat top sleeperor day cab and 13sp but thats what everyone wants right

I sent ya a PM.

Well that's good to hear. I found a 2011 W900L with a C15 I might go look at so I'm not ready to buy a red boat anchor just yet.

I believe that's probably still a stock Cummins file (just for a different application) so the DPF can stay. Even companies like PDI or BullyDog can write you a better than stock file and leave the DPF/SCR stuff in place if you don't want to spend the cash right away. However IMO the only way to fix a DPF motor is to use a hammer and a box!
photo-16.jpg

photo-17.jpg

You just had to go and ruin my day with the pic of those finely packaged parts! LOL I wanted to do the glider deal this time but just couldn't wait, customer driven, you know the deal. This new truck smells new, but it certainly doesn't sound good at all, that's gonna take some time getting used to!

Took off this morning from a stop in 3rd gear with a fully fueled Volvo 460 excavator, wet boot, foot slipped off clutch, it didn't die! Mucho low end grunt!

Well that's good to hear. I found a 2011 W900L with a C15 I might go look at so I'm not ready to buy a red boat anchor just yet.

Boat anchor is right. Talked to my local pete salesman yesterday and they have 3 newer isx all with windowed blocks. One has less then 25,000 miles.

Boat anchor? My boss has had 30+ isx engines in the last 8 years and nothing major with any of them

Boat anchor is right. Talked to my local pete salesman yesterday and they have 3 newer isx all with windowed blocks. One has less then 25,000 miles.

I asked why they have this issue and was told some have wrist pin oiling problems. Due to the lack of lubrication they side load the liners and eventually windmill and wipe out the blocks. One of the things I've ran into when I was asking if I could get one to run as good as my PDI tuned Cats. They said they can make the HP just not sure if the durability is there.

Been told the local big truck salvage yard had piles of ISX's with side windows. I've never heard of anyone ordering a glider wired for a ISX. It's either 70/120 pin Cats or early Detroits.

Boat anchor? My boss has had 30+ isx engines in the last 8 years and nothing major with any of them

I'm not sure if it's HP related or what. They might be like the N14, they were great 500hp and under but the 525's had the block fretting issues, maybe the ISX is the same. At least the new ones did away with the DOHC.

No doubt. My buddy has had 2 2007 and still owns one isx without major issues. Both trucks had complete turbo failures but that's it.

The 3 I was referencing were dpf only and urea equipped. I also know a local owner of 3 dpf isx, pdi tuned and deleted. 2 of them windowed the block.

I'm not sure if it's HP related or what. They might be like the N14, they were great 500hp and under but the 525's had the block fretting issues, maybe the ISX is the same. At least the new ones did away with the DOHC.

Ours are all between 475 and 565, all our 565's are over 600k. Mine has been uprated to 550 but I'm only at 370k miles

Last edited:
man i hope my n14 doest have issues.. it was rebuilt after it cracked a head about 350k ago so hopefully they addressed what they could at that point..

I asked why they have this issue and was told some have wrist pin oiling problems. Due to the lack of lubrication they side load the liners and eventually windmill and wipe out the blocks. One of the things I've ran into when I was asking if I could get one to run as good as my PDI tuned Cats. They said they can make the HP just not sure if the durability is there.

Been told the local big truck salvage yard had piles of ISX's with side windows. I've never heard of anyone ordering a glider wired for a ISX. It's either 70/120 pin Cats or early Detroits.

I had to make this call for the new ISX because I couldn't wait the time it would have taken to get a glider. It was either this or an underpowered Paccar MX! And you know I'm a Cat man! I'm hoping it'll hang together long enough to get deleted and wait for a new glider with Cat Power! I'm looking at a C18 reman right now and maybe step up to a 13 axle rig this time.

JFaulkner: Reckon the oiling deal might be why Cummins steered me away from the 600? They told me to stick with the 550 and have the Marine Division uprate it. They told me the 600's have crap loads of problems still!

Last edited:
I had to make this call for the new ISX because I couldn't wait the time it would have taken to get a glider. It was either this or an underpowered Paccar MX! And you know I'm a Cat man! I'm hoping it'll hang together long enough to get deleted and wait for a new glider with Cat Power! I'm looking at a C18 reman right now and maybe step up to a 13 axle rig this time.
C18's are spendy. Since the block/head are the same for the C15/C18 Acert a lot of guys have looked into rebuilding their C15's as C18's but the cranks are like $15k!

JFaulkner: Reckon the oiling deal might be why Cummins steered me away from the 600? They told me to stick with the 550 and have the Marine Division uprate it. They told me the 600's have crap loads of problems still!
that's interesting, I was under the impression the hard parts were the same for the 550/600's.

Since the C18 uses the same block as the C15/16 and the C16 has liner issues, wouldn't the C18 have similar issues?

I thought I heard the C18 has crank issues as well in certain applications.

Personally a C15 with mods would be plenty for me, and I gross out at 140,000lbs.

58's or 59's a C18 or marine C15 cam, a aftermarket turbo and some tuning can make over 1100hp at the wheels. If more power is needed then add twins or triples. With the 59's there is plenty of fuel for lots of air.

that's interesting, I was under the impression the hard parts were the same for the 550/600

That's what I was told as well. I almost bought a 600 instead of the MX.

Not that the MX impresses a damn snail, a MX doesn't potentially opens windows at random like the ISX's I've heard about.

I believe that's probably still a stock Cummins file (just for a different application) so the DPF can stay. Even companies like PDI or BullyDog can write you a better than stock file and leave the DPF/SCR stuff in place if you don't want to spend the cash right away. However IMO the only way to fix a DPF motor is to use a hammer and a box!
photo-16.jpg

photo-17.jpg

I saw a website the other day that pays like 8 bucks a lb for the dpf honeycomb, dont toss that stuff...:Cheer:

Post it if you know the address. My mechanic is the local PDI dealer and he's got boxes & boxes of this crap.

I believe it's Mobile but now that I look at their pricing sheet for loose honeycomb it says "no diesels" wtf... I recycle a ton of cars and scrap metal and I know there's money in the dpf's, your mechanic is probably sitting on a $hit ton of money, used dpfs by themselves go for up to 400 bucks

Last edited:
C18's are spendy. Since the block/head are the same for the C15/C18 Acert a lot of guys have looked into rebuilding their C15's as C18's but the cranks are like $15k!

The rotating assembly comes out to be $22k total, that is new part from cat. Then you would still have to worry about finding an ECM as well as the other supporting mods to go with jumping to 1106cid.

Got the new bumper on my truck, I have a set I stacks to put on too, just got to clean and paint the brackets first.

3820af82.jpg

Back