Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 03-07 3rd Gen.
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 10:30 AM   #1
Hoiyay

Name: Hoiyay
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Transmission out line, gauges

Deleting the heat exchanger on my truck; live in Florida and it's always hot so don't need to warm tranny up much.

I plan on installing a remote cooler or two under the bed. Also installing a temp gauge. Which of the tranny lines on the tranny is the out line, or the hot line? Im looking for the fluid coming out of the torque converter right? Is it the line at the front or the further back one?

For routing, correct me if I'm wrong, I want tranny line out (hot) to a gauge....to the front cooler, out the front cooler to aux cooler in bed, back to tranny in right?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Old 02-07-2019, 10:48 AM   #2
wwentzler

Name: wwentzler
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
You do know the heat exchanger is also called a fluid "cooler" for a reason right? Deleting it is not a bright idea, sorry to be blunt. As for the guage, you'll drive yourself nuts with a guage at the outlet, because it will fluctuate like crazy. The guage sending unit belongs in the pan.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:28 AM   #3
Hoiyay

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwentzler View Post
You do know the heat exchanger is also called a fluid "cooler" for a reason right? Deleting it is not a bright idea, sorry to be blunt. As for the guage, you'll drive yourself nuts with a guage at the outlet, because it will fluctuate like crazy. The guage sending unit belongs in the pan.
I'm ok with putting it in the pan if I need to. I know the fluid will fluctuate alot from the out. .but I'd like to know Max temps and how long they are there. I'm fine with putting in pan too.

I understand it's a cooler as well. But I don't want to trust the cooler leaking and filling tranny with antifreeze.

Also, my current one is busted...a new one is $500, an Amazon one is $70...but apparently leaks in 2 weeks.

I'd rather buy 2 extra coolers with fans so it's a self contained system. I've read from a lot of folks they've had success with just one cooler.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:38 AM   #4
wwentzler

Member`s Gallery
Pan is where you want it trust me haha. I have 2 derales with fans under the bed, and even with fans on full tilt stop and go traffic can be very stressful, in PA to boot. Mine was an auto swap, so 2 derales were easier at the time than a fluid cooler, but I will be adding one this summer more than likely. Just my .02 from my experiences.

Old 02-07-2019, 12:08 PM   #5
Hoiyay

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Pan is where you want it trust me haha. I have 2 derales with fans under the bed, and even with fans on full tilt stop and go traffic can be very stressful, in PA to boot. Mine was an auto swap, so 2 derales were easier at the time than a fluid cooler, but I will be adding one this summer more than likely. Just my .02 from my experiences.
Is that empty or towing? I'll be towing 10k a lot, damn near daily.

What's another option then?

Old 02-07-2019, 12:27 PM   #6
wwentzler

Member`s Gallery
That's unloaded, I dont tow very often with mine. I would find a way to keep the fluid cooler, but that's just me.

Old 02-07-2019, 01:05 PM   #7
Hoiyay

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
That's unloaded, I dont tow very often with mine. I would find a way to keep the fluid cooler, but that's just me.
Oh, well that's not even close for towing.

Well let me ask this. Even on this forum here people are claiming to never see temps above 180, never runs hot, etc, even while towing.

Why are the results all over the place? I've seen people, like you, say it's not enough....then others towing mount Everest and it's never running hot.

The only thing I can find consistent among the deleters that aren't running hot, us they have upgraded to 1/2 lines throughout their set up.

Last edited by Hoiyay; 02-07-2019 at 01:07 PM.

Old 02-07-2019, 01:27 PM   #8
wwentzler

Member`s Gallery
I can only guesstimate it's one of a few things. First, people are lying or not paying attention. Second guess is they arent truly ever in any kind of stop and go for more than 5 mins, which case I can see how it wouldnt happen. Third just occured to me, maybe a constant pressure vb builds a little more heat, but I cant see that being the difference.

Put it this way, if I'm moving, no matter how hot ambient is, I have trouble getting the fluid over like 130* without the fans on. It runs sub 100 locked on the highway. But I hit a wreck on the highway where I was stop and go for probably 25 mins, trans hit 225 several times in about 85* ambient. Anytime I hit stop and go it is physically exhausting constantly dropping in neutral and what not keeping temps sub200.

Old 02-07-2019, 02:41 PM   #9
spooled05

Name: spooled05
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
I run a 6.0 Ford trans cooler in the factory position and tow more than 10 k with no problems. I have -8 trans lines also . You have to do some work to the cross member the I/c sits on to make it work but no big deal. My trucks a little over 10k and 5th wheel is around 13k and my temps max around 180 or so . Mishimoto has a nice trans cooler out now if money’s no object .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10D5EFC0-B925-47D9-A036-C54EEA0AD3DE.jpg (313.2 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by spooled05; 02-07-2019 at 02:46 PM.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:49 AM   #10
Hoiyay

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I can only guesstimate it's one of a few things. First, people are lying or not paying attention. Second guess is they arent truly ever in any kind of stop and go for more than 5 mins, which case I can see how it wouldnt happen. Third just occured to me, maybe a constant pressure vb builds a little more heat, but I cant see that being the difference.

Put it this way, if I'm moving, no matter how hot ambient is, I have trouble getting the fluid over like 130* without the fans on. It runs sub 100 locked on the highway. But I hit a wreck on the highway where I was stop and go for probably 25 mins, trans hit 225 several times in about 85* ambient. Anytime I hit stop and go it is physically exhausting constantly dropping in neutral and what not keeping temps sub200.
So, dropping in neutral will lower temps too?

Old 02-08-2019, 10:09 AM   #11
spooled05

Member`s Gallery
I used to have the same stop and go heat up with the b&m super cooler and also the stock one after I deleted the heat exchanger. I threw all the expensive trans coolers w/ fans etc in the garbage and picked up the ford cooler on fb for 35$ , welded -8 bungs put it in place of the factory on the rad and my problems went away. In Dallas traffic with 100plus ambient I can leave it in drive for over an hour and never break 180 , with the others I’d be in neutral and limp mode . My gauge is in the pan .

Old 02-08-2019, 10:43 AM   #12
wwentzler

Member`s Gallery
[QUOTE=Hoiyay;2693472]So, dropping in neutral will lower temps too?

Neutral circulates fluid but bypasses the TC. Sitting in D the TC creates heat as that is how all of the rotational energy is dissipated.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:27 AM   #13
Hoiyay

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooled05 View Post
I used to have the same stop and go heat up with the b&m super cooler and also the stock one after I deleted the heat exchanger. I threw all the expensive trans coolers w/ fans etc in the garbage and picked up the ford cooler on fb for 35$ , welded -8 bungs put it in place of the factory on the rad and my problems went away. In Dallas traffic with 100plus ambient I can leave it in drive for over an hour and never break 180 , with the others I’d be in neutral and limp mode . My gauge is in the pan .
Which Ford cooler fits our trucks?

Old 02-08-2019, 03:31 PM   #14
spooled05

Member`s Gallery
It doesn’t technically fit , your gonna have to do some fab to fit it to the radiator. The one I used is a trans cooler off a 6.0 diesel ford

Old 03-04-2019, 07:56 AM   #15
bigkev12valve

Name: bigkev12valve
Member`s Gallery
I run just the factory front cooler even after a sled pull it doesn't see over 180 I have the gauge in the pan

Old 03-04-2019, 08:22 AM   #16
thatguy69

Name: thatguy69
Member`s Gallery
I have the biggest derale with fan under the bed along with a b&m(12x12)cooler up front in the oem location. I honestly have a hard time getting the trans past 140 in the summer and that's after giving her the beans for awhile. I pulled 12k last summer when it was 94 degrees out in some stop and go traffic and it never got over 190 in the pan, using a Isspro ev2 gauge. I am conscious about kicking it into neutral at stop lights if I'm sitting more than a few seconds.I also have a constant pressure vb with a left hand cut converter which is supposed to run a tad hotter from what Dave georend told me.

Last edited by thatguy69; 03-04-2019 at 08:23 AM.

Closed Thread