Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 2007.5-2013 6.7L
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 08:15 AM   #1
Cloverleaffarm

Name: Cloverleaffarm
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Randy Rayes DIY 68rfe

local trans builder is a long time friend of mine and he's been building various transmissions behind 4x4 jeeps, drag cars and diesels since the mid 90s. When the diesel craze hit he switched mostly to 48re's but still dabbles with the gas stuff. He builds 48re's to be abused on the street/strip/sleds and keep on going.
He's re-built quite a few 68s but never really built any of them for more than 500hp. He's wanting to get into those more as more and more guys in the area have them and the aisins. He called me last night and wants to split the price for a a Randy Rayes DIY trans kit because he knows mines acting up and i'm looking to do something.
Does anyone have experience with the kit? hp capabilities etc ?

I've seen his work many of times in action and know he can do the work and help fix anything that happens after but wanting to see if anyones gone that route prio to me dropping $3,000 +

Old 08-08-2019, 08:42 AM   #2
regcanfan

Name: regcanfan
Member`s Gallery
I had his stage 1 68 in my 2016. Bought it as a crate transmission. I really liked it. At first it had a 3-4 gear chirp due to the sonnox drum. Randy said it was the nature of that drum but they held as much as the suncoast mega jr drum.

I was only tuned so basically stock. They were always confident in there transmissions when talking to them and didn't throw a whole bunch of fancy crap at you. Like what he wanted for trans tuning was 200psi of line pressure after 30% throttle and factory lock up. Basic and it worked. Randy also perfered hardways tuning over others, which a lot of other builders steer away from due to his aggressive engine tuning.

Seems like revmax is always contradicting themselves and has a text book of rules around there product. This is kind of why I didn't go with them. Suncoast was a bit more money than Randy for what I was needing and Randy works closely with Suncoast.

Old 08-08-2019, 09:25 AM   #3
Cloverleaffarm

Member`s Gallery
I've heard positive things from guys that buy their crate trans, from stock to 800 hp.

i'd pick up the phone and have a lengthy conversation with them before anything obviously. lots of questions that they can answer about the direction/current and future fuel/air setup.
I've been running Anarchy tuning and have been very pleased with it, along with the Draconian trans tunes. But if they have specific requests as to engine/trans tunes then i'd have to go along with their requests since they do their R&D.
The price of the kit makes it easier of a pill to swallow considering my buddy is wanting to do 1/2 of it with me. compared to $10K for a crate 68 /$8,000 + in 48re/nv4500 swap

Old 08-08-2019, 09:45 AM   #4
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
What is the cost? I don't see it anywhere.

Old 08-08-2019, 09:47 AM   #5
Cloverleaffarm

Member`s Gallery
68RFE DIY Transmission Kit

Old 08-09-2019, 08:19 AM   #6
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
Wow, comes with a flex plate, tc, and pan for that price. Not too bad.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:42 AM   #7
RD TRCTR

Name: RD TRCTR
Title: Diesels, Burn Outs & Tits
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloverleaffarm View Post
Wow, I wasn't expecting a $5900 kit. My opinion, for what a free opinion is worth, I would take the truck with trans to FirePunk. I think they're 68 installed is $7200 or thereabouts.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:26 AM   #8
Cloverleaffarm

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD TRCTR View Post
Wow, I wasn't expecting a $5900 kit. My opinion, for what a free opinion is worth, I would take the truck with trans to FirePunk. I think they're 68 installed is $7200 or thereabouts.
i can't find anything on the dark inner webs about hp ratings on the diy kit, I called yesterday but didn't' get anyone. going to keep on calling until I get someone and see roughly what their rated for, hopefully at least 700.
i'm only paying for 1/2 as my buddy with the trans shop is going in on it with me so he can get familiar with their stuff

I forgot that Firepunk will do in house 68s, rarely do you hear of anyone running them so I just forgot. i'll call them today to and see what their info is

Old 08-09-2019, 11:19 AM   #9
RD TRCTR

Name: RD TRCTR
Title: Diesels, Burn Outs & Tits
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
i can't find anything on the dark inner webs about hp ratings on the diy kit, I called yesterday but didn't' get anyone. going to keep on calling until I get someone and see roughly what their rated for, hopefully at least 700.
i'm only paying for 1/2 as my buddy with the trans shop is going in on it with me so he can get familiar with their stuff

I forgot that Firepunk will do in house 68s, rarely do you hear of anyone running them so I just forgot. i'll call them today to and see what their info is
It is definitely a wise business decision if you're in the trans world. The 48RE was used for 4'ish model years, the 68RFE has been is use for over a decade now. Tons of trucks with them and failing on a daily basis.

For what it's worth, I learned in the past that you can get fantastic parts from sources other than shops such as Randy's. You can get equivalent Sonnax parts much fairly cheap (comparatively). Raybestos also makes upgraded clutches, steels and bands. All of the above may be worth looking into.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:36 AM   #10
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD TRCTR View Post
The 48RE was used for 4'ish model years
Ehhhh. That's technically true, but the architecture for it has been around a LONG LONG time. 1956 or something like that.

Old 08-09-2019, 02:22 PM   #11
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneliusRox View Post
Ehhhh. That's technically true, but the architecture for it has been around a LONG LONG time. 1956 or something like that.

Yes, they were still using some of the same equipment to manufacture parts of that transmissions from the late 60's up until 2005/2006.
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 08-09-2019, 03:18 PM   #12
Cloverleaffarm

Member`s Gallery
called and spoke with someone at Randy's shop.

the diy kit is the same as their stage 2 so its rated for 700 hp. and does require 200-210 line psi, not sure if my 4 year old draconian TCM technology is capable of that. They did say that their not using the Suncoast JR OD drum anymore due to cracks/failures so their running the Sonnex

their stage 2 drop in would cost me over $9,000 shipped itself with the billet flex plate.

Old 08-09-2019, 03:40 PM   #13
Cloverleaffarm

Member`s Gallery
Firepunk: "in house 68 is $7,150 out the door. 600-650 hp with basically no warranty. " per phone call

Old 08-12-2019, 07:30 AM   #14
Cloverleaffarm

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmega3500 View Post
That's pathetic and I respect their work....

My guess is they're trying to push the 48 conversion.
my thoughts exactly. I can understand a lack of warranty because of a sled or something, but we didn't even get that far in the conversation.

I respect their products and their quality of work, their trans focus is the 48s because that's where they make good $. The 68s are less than desired to be messed with, cant fault them for that.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:35 AM   #15
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
I'm guessing if Chrysler stays with the 68RFE, you'll see a lot of progress in the next 10 years. I mean, the 47/48re's didn't really get reliable until 5-10 years ago and that was largely driven by 800-1000rwhp becoming daily drive-able for pretty cheap. It still requires semi-deep pockets to get a 6.7L truck there with initial investment. Wait until there are a bunch for <$20k 4th gens and the second hand users get them.

Old 08-12-2019, 12:20 PM   #16
raychem

Name: raychem
Title: Not enough time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmega3500 View Post
That's pathetic and I respect their work....

My guess is they're trying to push the 48 conversion.
47 or 48 hands down better than what any 68 can do. The 68 design while nice and all but it is basically a 45rfe beefed up. I know some here have had success with the 68's but no where near what a 47/48 can do. And for the investment it is not worth it. Spend 9-10k for a trans to hold 500-700 hp reliably or just put in a 47/48 and have it hold 1200hp all day long and if you need a rebuild it is inexpensive vs a 68. Hell, a 6R140 or Allison is a better unit than the 68. Lets see what the future holds for the Asian unit but I would not hold my breath. I have build a few 68s and a few hundred 47/48. That 68 past 500hp is finicky. People tend to forget the TQ a 6.7 makes compared to a 5.9. At least we know the 47/48s will take it.

Quote:
my thoughts exactly. I can understand a lack of warranty because of a sled or something, but we didn't even get that far in the conversation.

I respect their products and their quality of work, their trans focus is the 48s because that's where they make good $. The 68s are less than desired to be messed with, cant fault them for that.
I do not know Levon or Fire Punk personally but of they push a certain configuration is it because they have come to the conclusion that it is what works. The 727 architecture has the most potential for what they do and stick with it. They have done plenty to show who they are and time and time again they have put their money where their mouth is and show us some consistent results. They know more than many of us on this board and the diesel industry in general as far as high performance goes.

Old 08-12-2019, 01:05 PM   #17
Cloverleaffarm

Member`s Gallery
$9,000 is roughly what i'd have in the 48re swap between having my local trans guy find/build a 48 for my use/Firepunk swap parts.
or i'd have $3,000-$4,000 in a randy diy 68 kit since we're splitting it in half for him to get to play with his stuff some.

i'd rather buy another truck to drive for the price i'd pay for a 48swap

Old 08-12-2019, 02:49 PM   #18
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
$9,000 is roughly what i'd have in the 48re swap between having my local trans guy find/build a 48 for my use/Firepunk swap parts.
or i'd have $3,000-$4,000 in a randy diy 68 kit since we're splitting it in half for him to get to play with his stuff some.

Plus... a six speed auto kicks ass for daily driving and heavy towing compared to a four speed.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:46 PM   #19
raychem

Name: raychem
Title: Not enough time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:

48's get expensive as do 47s when billet parts come into play. The only real part you need for a 48s is a billet input. That is a properly set up trans with a triple disk and flex plate. That can be had for less than 9k. Billet drum, intermediate, and output only for a full race set up.

The real question is what you are really going to do with the truck. Keep it for a little while or keep it for a long time. I personally find the 68 to be a really expensive trans and they all are initally no matter the type. There is no guarantee that if you spend the 5k you will not have problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneliusRox View Post
Plus... a six speed auto kicks ass for daily driving and heavy towing compared to a four speed.
I will not debate you there. More gears do help. But a properly set up truck does too.

Last edited by raychem; 08-12-2019 at 09:49 PM.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:35 AM   #20
Cloverleaffarm

Member`s Gallery
the trans will need to support roughly 700 hp after i increase my fuel more.
its paid for, so i'll keep it as long as i mechanically can keep it running. only 163K miles on it. i'll only haul 10-15K lbs with it in the spring/fall for farm stuff, then its a DD.
i expect 5-8 hooks to the sled and probably 4-5 nights at the local drag strip a summer

$4,000-$5,000 roughly in finding/building a 48 for my abuse, he knows that since he pulls his shop truck 20-30 times a year.

Closed Thread