Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 03-07 3rd Gen.
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 06:39 PM   #1
Chowderhead72

Name: Chowderhead72
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Looking for ideas....

My truck (2005 ram 2500, 5.9, g56) has been out of commission for the last 3 months due to a g56 failure and very busy mechanic.

I went to start it up today to move it into the shop. Batteries dead; installed a functional battery. Now it cranks but the fuel pump doesn’t come on, the fuel level gauge, and the volts gauge don’t come on. All of the rest of the dash board lights come on, the truck cranks strong but with no fuel it won’t start; obviously. We have checked all of the fuses and they all test good. Also looked at all of the relays and all of them look clean (through the clear windows) any thoughts? Ignition switch? Fuel pump harness?

Still has stock in tank pump that it left Mexico with. Would a failed fca do this? It started fine last month and ran for 60 seconds, then the odometer glitched a little and it shut off and wouldn’t restart. I chocked up to a weak alternator last moth and draining off the little bit charge on the batteries. I haven’t tried to pull codes yet but that will be tomorrow’s mission.
05.5 2500 slt 4x4 QCsb g56 sx362/476 twins, Smarty S06 TNT, Spec ST Dual Disk, Diprocol fuel, pyro,boost, BDS long arm 6 inch, 37" Toyo MT's, Srt-10 hood, Amp steps, 8.5 Steering upgrade, Carli Low Damper, BD Steering Brace

Old 10-09-2018, 01:46 PM   #2
SixOhh

Name: SixOhh
Title: EPA unfriendly
Member`s Gallery
installed a functional battery as in just one? just because you think the engine is turning over fine doesnt mean there is enough reserve energy to keep the ECU happy in the voltage department. id do 2 batteries or 1 good battery and jumped off another diesel at least....

if the cp3 is healthy ive seen several trucks start up with no LP (if there is enough fuel in the tank to create gravity pressure.

the alternator has nothing to do with cranking. if it died after a minute of running and the dash went crazy i would bet money on an electrical issue. dash problems themselves are normally in the 06's but the truck still runs fine because the dash is just receiving signals, not computing them so to speak. someone correct me if im wrong.

do you have a way to log RP while cranking?

after you get known GOOD batteries in there, unplug the FCA and try again

-Marcus
H-Town Off-Road

Old 10-09-2018, 02:45 PM   #3
natemorrell

Name: natemorrell
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
When my ECU went out I had exactly the same problem your describing. Not saying that is your problem, however i would throw two fully charged batteries in there and see what it does. When i had an FCA problem it failed to the max, doubt that is what is causing your issue

Old 10-09-2018, 03:37 PM   #4
Snedge

Name: Snedge
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Has it sat for three months where the toothy critters could get in it ? They will chew chit just to be mean.

Old 10-09-2018, 09:59 PM   #5
Chowderhead72

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixOhh View Post
installed a functional battery as in just one? just because you think the engine is turning over fine doesnt mean there is enough reserve energy to keep the ECU happy in the voltage department. id do 2 batteries or 1 good battery and jumped off another diesel at least....

if the cp3 is healthy ive seen several trucks start up with no LP (if there is enough fuel in the tank to create gravity pressure.

the alternator has nothing to do with cranking. if it died after a minute of running and the dash went crazy i would bet money on an electrical issue. dash problems themselves are normally in the 06's but the truck still runs fine because the dash is just receiving signals, not computing them so to speak. someone correct me if im wrong.

do you have a way to log RP while cranking?

after you get known GOOD batteries in there, unplug the FCA and try again

-Marcus
The tank is full so you are right it should start even without the fuel pump, didn’t think of that... Thanks.

Yes I do have a RP gauge I didn’t think about that either. I will report back on that reading.
05.5 2500 slt 4x4 QCsb g56 sx362/476 twins, Smarty S06 TNT, Spec ST Dual Disk, Diprocol fuel, pyro,boost, BDS long arm 6 inch, 37" Toyo MT's, Srt-10 hood, Amp steps, 8.5 Steering upgrade, Carli Low Damper, BD Steering Brace

Old 10-09-2018, 10:06 PM   #6
Chowderhead72

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedge View Post
Has it sat for three months where the toothy critters could get in it ? They will chew chit just to be mean.
I don’t believe so; it was sitting in a parking lot with no woods anywhere close. I do want to lift the tipm/fusebox to see the bottom just to confirm nothing is chewed, kinked, or otherwise damaged. First step will be to replace both batteries with new ones. Second will be to try to start with the fca intact, third will be to try with fca disconnected. Fourth; lift the tipm to check for damage or loose wires/connectors. If all that checks out start hunting for an ECM. Any other suggestions?

Old 10-10-2018, 11:11 AM   #7
Chowderhead72

Member`s Gallery
Tried to connect a code reader to the OBD2 and comes back no connection when trying to pull codes.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:46 AM   #8
natemorrell

Member`s Gallery
I would disconnect TIPM/ECU plugs, clean them and see if that changes anything. Like i said earlier my truck did literally this exact same thing and it was the ECU. That is what i would go with if everything else you plan on trying does not work.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:49 AM   #9
Chowderhead72

Member`s Gallery
Sounds like ECM time.

Has anyone had good luck with any ECM repair companies? I’m looking at Carcomputerexchange.com right now. $615 seems fair?

Old 10-10-2018, 11:50 AM   #10
Chowderhead72

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by natemorrell View Post
I would disconnect TIPM/ECU plugs, clean them and see if that changes anything. Like i said earlier my truck did literally this exact same thing and it was the ECU. That is what i would go with if everything else you plan on trying does not work.

My mech looked at the connections and wires from the bottom and saw no issues. I will look closer at them tonight.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:59 AM   #11
natemorrell

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowderhead72 View Post
Sounds like ECM time.

Has anyone had good luck with any ECM repair companies? I’m looking at Carcomputerexchange.com right now. $615 seems fair?
This is who i had do mine. I called them, gave them all of the vehicles info and had the ECU two days later. A years later no problems.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:32 PM   #12
bigstacks95

Name: bigstacks95
Title: Diesel Doc
Member`s Gallery
Before you load up the parts cannon and let loose on it, you should take apart ALL the battery terminal connections and clean them individually. I have had countless trucks especially the ones that use CAN systems at my shop for issues involving a no start that just turns out to be a corroded wire on the battery

58 Dodge Power Wagon 3.0 Limited Pro Stock diesel pulling truck

2020 Ram 3500 HO/Aisin Laramie/night tow rig

Old 10-11-2018, 08:50 PM   #13
Chowderhead72

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstacks95 View Post
Before you load up the parts cannon and let loose on it, you should take apart ALL the battery terminal connections and clean them individually. I have had countless trucks especially the ones that use CAN systems at my shop for issues involving a no start that just turns out to be a corroded wire on the battery
Parts cannon.... You know me too well....

ECM is out of the truck... I have a friend that works at a dodge dealer that will scan the ECM. Stay tuned.

Old 10-14-2018, 02:49 PM   #14
SixOhh

Name: SixOhh
Title: EPA unfriendly
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstacks95 View Post
ive seen that before with walmart batteries too
H-Town Off-Road

Old 10-14-2018, 09:03 PM   #15
bigstacks95

Name: bigstacks95
Title: Diesel Doc
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixOhh View Post
ive seen that before with walmart batteries too
Ah yes, the ol' NeverStart's

58 Dodge Power Wagon 3.0 Limited Pro Stock diesel pulling truck

2020 Ram 3500 HO/Aisin Laramie/night tow rig

Old 10-23-2018, 03:39 PM   #16
Chowderhead72

Member`s Gallery
Brand new Deka 1000amp batteries, cleaned all battery terminals, inspected the ECM connector; no corrosion or discoloration. Pretty sure it’s an ECM.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:31 PM   #17
smokinVE

Name: smokinVE
Title: $$+VE=NO HP
Member`s Gallery
Power and grounds are good at the ECM? I’ve seen weak batteries pop a fuse under heavy voltage draws... Even seen a few wires fry when folks have used harbor freight “fuses”. (They don’t exactly pop at the advertised amp rating)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc View Post
I don't think they let hair sniffer twit much. Or the little gay guy. Only the Indian does.

Closed Thread