Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 89-93 1st Gen.
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 07:25 PM   #41
BC847

Name: BC847
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Unhappy

Well, I was finally able to make a few passes at the local track. I'm kinda bummed with it but .. ..

It was cool between 55* ~ 60*f at night. The first pass was very early in the evening after only a few other cars. As always, I drove around the water-box as I race in 4WD.

For the last few years I've been launching with 25 or so psig. With the conditions of the evening, these tires weren't having it. VERY violent tire hop/shudder . . . ..

first pass on new tires and triple turbos - YouTube

I was only able to make a clean launch with no more than 15 or so psig. With that, the best it could do was an 8.32 in the 8th. That's about a 2 sec 60'. I'm use to a 60' of about 1.7ish.

Any suggestions?

Silencer ring MIA, str8 pipe with 10" exhaust tip, 250psi boost gauge, ghost-lights 'n truck-nutz. K&N air filter next (if my grades are good enoufh).

Old 03-20-2018, 08:07 AM   #42
jlbayes

Name: jlbayes
Member`s Gallery
Did you have anyone there to see if the front or rear was causing it? Or where it started as far as front or rear?

Old 03-20-2018, 11:32 AM   #43
BC847

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbayes View Post
Did you have anyone there to see if the front or rear was causing it? Or where it started as far as front or rear?
As I've been running in the T&Ts there for a number of years, I'm well acquainted with the guy holding the GO button.
In coming around for the next pass, he stopped what he does and walked over to say hello and what the Hell happened? He said the truck jumped straight up.

From my point of view, it's predominantly in the rear.

A lot of folks were having traction issues I've learned. I do specifically recall one of the track guys coming around at some point saying they were spraying the track to help.

I do have an established issue of torque-steer with the basic steering stuff of the 1st-gen straight axle. Wants to turn left when lifting the left/front of the truck.

Silencer ring MIA, str8 pipe with 10" exhaust tip, 250psi boost gauge, ghost-lights 'n truck-nutz. K&N air filter next (if my grades are good enoufh).

Old 03-20-2018, 12:06 PM   #44
BC847

Member`s Gallery
This is looking out back of the last pass of the evening. I was interested in the smoke.
Compared to the former 3B/62, @ 80lbs/min, the 62s at 150lbs/min cleans things up nicely.
Before, it was common to be approaching/around 1600*f at the top of the 8th. With the same fueling, 1280*f all evening with the trips.

Here again, launching with 25psig, it appears things got loose with the turbos coming to full song (when the truck gets a little sideways).

Perhaps this is nothing more than learning to drive the heap all over?

This pass ~
R/T: .175
60': 2.002
330: 5.627
1/8: 8.688
MPH: 79.74

Reduced WOT smoke - YouTube

Out of six passes, the best for the evening was launching at around 15psig boost ~

R/T: .230
60': 1.741
330: 5.287
1/8: 8.328
MPH: 80.21

It must be noted that: With the former 3B/62, 4" exhaust, AT Radials, etc, the heap weighed-in at 6400lbs. With the trips, 5" exhaust, etc, We're up to 6600lbs.

That's 0.2 seconds in the quarter by that rule of thumb.

Last edited by BC847; 03-20-2018 at 12:09 PM.

Old 03-31-2018, 07:02 PM   #45
BC847

Member`s Gallery
Made a few more passes this past week. The track was notably warmer after a daytime high approaching 80*f. Further, there were a lot more cars there laying rubber on the track.

Was able to launch at a solid 25psig. As such, there was still a little wheel-spin just out of the hole.

No improvement on ET or trap-speed.

032918 - YouTube

Gotta get on with sorting the various fuel pressures and then nail down the timing advance stuff.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:07 PM   #46
BC847

Member`s Gallery
OK, before the rear-end showed its hiney, I was addressing an ongoing issue with the IP case-pressure dropping at WOT. As the VE dynamic timing is powered by the case-pressure, a droop in pressure results in a retarding of the timing advance.

With recently upgrading the data-logger mess, I'm now able to better see what's going on in the IP.
- I'm working with a selection of timing device springs and am able to readily adjust the preload as needed.
- I'm not necessarily at a fixed static (if you will) case-pressure.
- Fixing to upgrade the lift-pump mess to assure a stable fuel supply to the IP.

At this point, I'm spending a little time with the data-logger to cypher what to try next.

This is an attempt to illustrate what I'm feeling in the seat of my pants . . .

OK, some notes beforehand:

- Time is seen from left to right. Each of the yellow vertical lines is at one half second intervals.
- WHITE: Truck speed in MPH.
- PINK: IP case-pressure.
- ORANGE: Engine RPM.
- PURPLE: Boost (at intake log).

OK. See my colored DOTS at the bottom of the image? Start at the left with the RED DOT . . .

RED Dot: 547.5 seconds.
- Just cruising at 52 MPH.
- At 1632 engine RPM.
- There's 126 PSIG case-pressure.
- There's 3 PSIG boost.
It's at this point that I start mashing the throttle to the floor.

BLUE Dot: 549 seconds.
- I'm up to 54 MPH.
- The engine is up to 2050 RPM.
- The case pressure has dropped to 113 PSIG.
- The boost is up to 10 PSIG.
It's at this point the throttle's on the floor.

GREEN Dot: 550 seconds.
- I'm up to 63 MPH.
- The engine's up to 2659 RPM.
- The case pressure is up to 122 PSIG.
- The boost is up to 36 PSIG.
At this point, the engine RPM have risen thus increasing the IP's shaft speed, thus case-pressure has risen to the point of regulation. The dynamic timing is following that pressure fall and rise.

YELLOW Dot: 551.55 seconds.
- I'm up to 66.8 MPH.
- The engine's up to 2728 RPM.
- The case-pressure is up to 136 PSIG.
- Boost is at 55.5 PSIG @ the head.
It's at this point I have just started backing off the throttle.

Notice how after I let off the throttle, the case pressure jumps (and apparently becomes a little unstable. I think that's the case-pressure regulator bouncing opener and closer). You'll also notice the truck's rate of acceleration kicks up notably (WHITE trace). It's my belief the case-pressure jumping up, is more fully advancing the timing (as compared to the recent droop) resulting in more power to the wheels as is made evident by the uptick in acceleration.

Click the image to open in full size.

I need to have that full injection event timing advance for the duration of the WOT, in a perfect world.
- It may very well be a case of me misinterpreting the data all together.
- It may very well be a thing of adjusting the operating characteristics of the case-pressure regulator.
- May be as simple as dialing-in the IP timing-advance device spring.
- Turning down the fuel seems counter-productive in itself BUT, clearly, backing off a little appears to NET more power wound up.

This data-logging mess certainly invites a lot of consideration.

There's a number of way to turn down the fuel if it HAD to be done.
- Back off main fuel screw.
- Limit WOT via the high-idle screw.
- Raise the POP-pressure of the injectors (lots of fine-print).

If I were a high-school boy, I'd be frustrated to the point of giving up as there's no App to do all this mess in a couple of minutes. Damn it!

Last edited by BC847; 04-15-2018 at 10:19 PM.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:29 PM   #47
BC847

Member`s Gallery
EDIT the above post:
"Notice how after I let off the throttle, the case pressure jumps (and ap"

Should read: "Notice how AS I let off the throttle, the case pressure jumps (and ap".

I think I need to dial-in the timing device spring and its preload. Perhaps start with a lower full stroke pressure. . . . . maybe . . . . with a higher preload . . . . . maybe.

Last edited by BC847; 04-15-2018 at 10:32 PM.

Old 04-23-2018, 11:44 PM   #48
BC847

Member`s Gallery
Turned the fuel up a little and oiled the throttle linkage. Aired down the tires 3psig.

Nice improvement. From 8.32 down to 8.27. MUCH better launch.

04192018 - YouTube

Still working on it.

Old 04-24-2018, 06:10 AM   #49
Mooner1

Name: Mooner1
Member`s Gallery
Nice! Good to see you are making steady progress and improvements. I know you have a traction bar setup for the rear axle, but I was wandering if a similar one for the front might be in order at this point? I recall reading multiple times that the
4wd first gen chassis can do some funky stuff when a truck is making good power and makes a good hit. “Caltrack” type traction bars would work best for purely preventing axle wrap I’d imagine, but I’m not sure how they would affect on road driving/ride. I know, one thing at a time right?

Also, thanks for sharing the data logs. It’s cool to see the real time data on what is going on with/within these old VE pumped 12v motors, and takes seat of the pants feeling to tangible data that the truck can be tuned with. Good work man!

Old 04-24-2018, 07:48 AM   #50
Red Sleeper

Name: Red Sleeper
Member`s Gallery
Thanks for sharing your data and results. I don’t have much to offer for diagnosing purposes, but am sure gland when you post what your finding are.

Good progress.
'91 Cummins w350 5spd

Old 07-15-2018, 08:28 PM   #51
BC847

Member`s Gallery
Well, dang-it.

I'd like to say I've actually done something with the truck other than just drive it but . . .

I'm still spending money on the stupid thing.

In addition with starting and actually completing the lift-pump upgrade, and the under the truck electric upgrade (trans, fuel, lift-pump), etc., I need to refresh the transmission, at a minimum.

I'm soliciting some things I might miss in the "refreshment" of my trans.

Context: To this day, I've run a NON lock-up converter. In the beginning, I thought staying NON lock-up would perhaps help me keep from breaking stuff. Yeah, well. I've managed to break all three shafts in one form or another, primarily IMO due to sloppy OEM bushings, bearings, and such.

So, at this moment, I've got a 280K mile 46RH (A518) case, with a full billet/alloy 2007 48RE rotating assembly less the NON lock-up input-shaft and converter. (The input-shaft is still billet/alloy). The 3-speed section has increased clutch & steel counts in the clutch-packs. The overdrive section has the 18(?) count clutch. All the planetaries are steel carrier/6-pinion units.
The current custom converter is one of two (Brad with Suncoast runs the other).

And then a 47RH case and engine/trans adapter showed up on the back porch recently.

When the case showed up, I thought, "Cool! I'll use that when I refresh the trans here shortly, and take advantage of the increased meat, etc".
- The Lock-up trans/engine adapter stood up and said: "Liar liar, pants on fire".

So, I reckon in the near future I'll be looking into a different converter.

Anyhoo, the current trans, other than normal expected wear for a trans that's beat on with moderate power, has the typical goodies . . . .

A 48RE 3-speed section:

That shell is the OEM, thinner 46RH. Is there any real advantage to replacing that with the thicker OEM shell from the later 47 & 48s? It's thinner thus lighter. I've never seen any pounding of the tabs where they engage the next component.

All the planetaries are steel carrier 6-pinion units:

In the case of the planetaries, I've upgraded all the associated thrust-bearings/washer to the 48RE version.

Again, all the shafts are billet/alloy:

Can't find a pic of the other shaft.

All the clutch-packs have increased steel/disc counts:

All the thrust bearings/washers, ball & sleeve bearings, etc have been renewed throughout:

Perhaps it's all overkill for my power level, But then I can beat the crap out of it on the Thursday TNT, and then drive it round-trip to the coast the following weekend.

Can anybody think of something to pay particular attention to with switching over to lock-up?

Thanks guys.

Last edited by BC847; 07-15-2018 at 08:30 PM.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:37 PM   #52
YOUNG GUNS15

Name: YOUNG GUNS15
Title: Im AWESOME!!!!
Member`s Gallery
Thicker belview (sp?) spring in the forward clutch pack to handle higher line pressure is about all I would suggest. I’ve replaced the factory thickness one after each refresh from getting flattened at roughly 180-210psi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-23-2018, 08:12 PM   #53
BC847

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUNG GUNS15 View Post
Thicker belview (sp?) spring in the forward clutch pack to handle higher line pressure is about all I would suggest. I’ve replaced the factory thickness one after each refresh from getting flattened at roughly 180-210psi.
That's exactly the kind of info I'm looking.

Thank you, Sir.

Old 09-05-2018, 10:58 AM   #54
Knoberman

Name: Knoberman
Title: swapping
Member`s Gallery
Very nice work.
I went to a Disney movie the other day and almost saw a mermaid tit.

Closed Thread