Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > General Diesel Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Tech Farm equipment, Medium Duty, Big Rigs, and other General discussion can be found in here.

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 08:00 PM   #1
blackcloudCTD95

Name: blackcloudCTD95
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
I have a few questions about motors.

In over the road applications which motors are more reliable Detroit cat cummins Mack? For some reason I have been interested in big trucks and the performance aspect of it. To me it seems like most people would prefer a 6nz or c15 c18 over a isx or 60 series. Do they last longer,? More power?

Old 12-04-2017, 08:13 PM   #2
BRE

Name: BRE
Member`s Gallery
Cat is typically longer life span before an overhaul is due.
Isx Cummins aren’t even suitable for boat anchors they are so worthless.
Detroit’s given they are the correct engine, you’ll find some that love them and some that hate them.
I’m a cat guy, however I do like Detroit as well.

6nz is just a serial number of c-15’s. They are over rated if you ask me. Easy to make decent power with. There’s really nothing wrong with a good emodel cat either. The bottom ends just aren’t as stout as say an accert engine.

I know nothing of Mack engines so I’ll bow out on that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
There really is nothing better than OEM. That goes for anything from turbos to boobs.
RIP Dex KCCO

Old 12-09-2017, 12:01 PM   #3
blackcloudCTD95

Member`s Gallery
The only acert exp i have is a c18 acert and a 32 acert in boats. The 32 is a monster. You wouldnt think that about cummins, maybe its just the isx. I know the m11 use to pop heads and our brush trucks have 855 in them, yeah

Old 12-09-2017, 12:37 PM   #4
chevota84

Name: chevota84
Member`s Gallery
Mack can be hard to find parts for, depending on where you live. The 12.7's are good engines, Detroit seemed to be the only ones that could figure out how to get a 12 liter to make power and stay together. The 3406e/early c15 is cats best work, imo. They're reliable and tough and don't require any fixes to work well. The later ones are good too, but they can take a few dollars to get right.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Old 12-09-2017, 10:10 PM   #5
allan5oh

Name: allan5oh
Member`s Gallery
To each their own really. Used to be everyone liked one engine and that was it. Now it seems everyone likes any pre EGR engine regardless of color. Detroits were reliable cheap to rebuild but leaked oil and were a bit gutless. Cats cost more to rebuild had a tendency to last a bit longer and pulled like freight trains.

Give you an idea my dads volvo d12b has over 2 million miles on it the head has never been off. You would never get that with an EGR engine.

Old 12-09-2017, 10:42 PM   #6
BRE

Member`s Gallery
Still calling BS on the Volvo engine just as I did in the other thread.

There really is nothing better than OEM. That goes for anything from turbos to boobs.
RIP Dex KCCO

Old 12-09-2017, 10:47 PM   #7
blackcloudCTD95

Member`s Gallery
No one wants any emission motors.. in light duty heavy or medium. I think the maxxforce 7 is possibly the worst engine ever built.. (6.4) put in the terra stars or what ever.

Do all the semi truck amd ag equipment have the same issues with the dpf systems like big 3.? It also seems to be harder to delete medium/heavy duty ( as far as finding tuners to re flash the ecm and piping )

Old 12-09-2017, 11:00 PM   #8
allan5oh

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRE View Post

Don't really care.

Old 12-10-2017, 01:13 AM   #9
chevota84

Name: chevota84
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcloudCTD95 View Post
No one wants any emission motors.. in light duty heavy or medium. I think the maxxforce 7 is possibly the worst engine ever built.. (6.4) put in the terra stars or what ever.

Do all the semi truck amd ag equipment have the same issues with the dpf systems like big 3.? It also seems to be harder to delete medium/heavy duty ( as far as finding tuners to re flash the ecm and piping )
Yeah, about the same. They follow about the same timeline too, 08-12 are the worst and then they got better but still not as good as the pre emissions stuff. Is the maxxforce 7 the same as the ford 6.4?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Old 12-10-2017, 02:40 AM   #10
Leiffi

Name: Leiffi
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRE View Post

D12 is one of the best engines ever made. Those crappy Cats can not even be compared in reliability. Cats are the biggest joke there is if you ask someone else than Cat lovers. People buying Cat equipment have no choice in engines but truck buyers could choose and you can see now how it went.

They are also a joke on marine side.

Easy to make power though because C18 marine parts fit C15 and 16.

Old 12-10-2017, 09:42 AM   #11
mhuggler

Name: mhuggler
Title: One piece at a time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcloudCTD95 View Post
In over the road applications which motors are more reliable Detroit cat cummins Mack? For some reason I have been interested in big trucks and the performance aspect of it. To me it seems like most people would prefer a 6nz or c15 c18 over a isx or 60 series. Do they last longer,? More power?
I've been an engine tech. at a cummins dealer, a detroit dealer, and have been with caterpillar for the last 15 years. If you don't mind spending a few more dollars, it's a cat that you want hands down. There's just no comparison. I'm sure I just stepped on some toes so I won't bother with the specifics.
2002 2500 4x4 ETH/DEE-F1 Mach 5's/62/65/12/Smarty/ATS Ex.manifold/AFE intake/TST Comp./.020 marine gasket/o-ringed/ARP studs/5"stacks/Airdog 150/Isspro guages/Southbend 3600 DD/3.54 gears/leveling kit/Bilstein 5100frt,5150rr/37" BFG A/T's on 18" Eagle 114's/Borgeson SS/DSS

Old 12-10-2017, 09:46 AM   #12
mhuggler

Name: mhuggler
Title: One piece at a time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiffi View Post
D12 is one of the best engines ever made. Those crappy Cats can not even be compared in reliability. Cats are the biggest joke there is if you ask someone else than Cat lovers. People buying Cat equipment have no choice in engines but truck buyers could choose and you can see now how it went.

Was this supposed to be a joke? Sometimes I can't tell.
2002 2500 4x4 ETH/DEE-F1 Mach 5's/62/65/12/Smarty/ATS Ex.manifold/AFE intake/TST Comp./.020 marine gasket/o-ringed/ARP studs/5"stacks/Airdog 150/Isspro guages/Southbend 3600 DD/3.54 gears/leveling kit/Bilstein 5100frt,5150rr/37" BFG A/T's on 18" Eagle 114's/Borgeson SS/DSS

Old 12-10-2017, 10:13 AM   #13
DISTURBED

Name: DISTURBED
Title: YEA WE RIDE THE SHORT BUS
Member`s Gallery
I know the Volvo Engines in the Mack concrete trucks I used to drive were junk. Every one had some kinda of major Engine failure and some multiple times

01 CTD Retired sled puller, dedicated "Twin Turbo" tow rig
96 CTD "TOO" Disturbed 3.0 - Built by Disturbed Diesel Performance
96 CTD "The Sickness" 2.6/2.8- Built by Disturbed Diesel Performance

Old 12-10-2017, 11:11 AM   #14
BRE

Member`s Gallery
Quote:

Yea and here comes the other area idiot with his crap again.
You’re so full of chit it’s amazing... phuckin moron.

RIP Dex KCCO

Old 12-10-2017, 01:53 PM   #15
jfaulkner

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Member`s Gallery
I have a few questions about motors.

The idea that Cats cost more to rebuild is complete BS spread by people that have never priced parts from other brands. An actual Detroit head is almost $2000 more than Cat. Cummins parts are almost always higher. Cat injector is $100 cheaper each. Maxxforce in any size is the biggest pile on the road. The easiest way to tell what’s good is look at selling prices. There is a reason the Mack/Volvo/Maxxforce powered trucks sell just over scrap price. Internet option is one thing but when people are asked to put their money where their mouth is honesty comes out.

You get a truck with a Cat/Cummins you can get parts and Service anywhere. Try that with a Volvo. And to make matters worse the only way to get a Volvo Motor is to drive a Volvo.

Last edited by jfaulkner; 12-10-2017 at 01:56 PM.

Old 12-10-2017, 02:01 PM   #16
allan5oh

Member`s Gallery
You guys are amusing comparing d13s to d12s. Theyre completely different engines.

Old 12-10-2017, 04:09 PM   #17
jfaulkner

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
You guys are amusing comparing d13s to d12s. Theyre completely different engines.

No I’m not. Check TruckPaper genius and look at how cheap they are. Such an amazing engine you have to take a bath on at resale.

You would be amazed at the people around here that owned S60’s with good luck and went out and got a newer DD15/13 thinking they were getting the same engine. Only to find out Detroit got infected with European stupidity.

“Built like a Mack truck” is now followed up with laughter thanks to the same infection.

Old 12-10-2017, 04:22 PM   #18
takedown95

Name: takedown95
Member`s Gallery
I don’t know much about heavy duty motors except the ones I used to deal with in the Army. I believe they were all D60 series, supercharged and turbocharged. They were dogs.

Anyway, as I’ve been looking at motorcoachs and toters I’ve found that Volvo’s have the highest resale value and freightliners with Cats or Cummins are less valuable and Mercedes seem to be the least valuable. Any thoughts?

Old 12-10-2017, 05:18 PM   #19
RascalMafia

Name: RascalMafia
Title: heyyyyyyy girrrrrrrl
Member`s Gallery
Quote:

So now you're an expert in marine engines as well. Who knew one person could be so multifaceted?
'01 F350 7.3 / ZF6

Old 12-10-2017, 05:31 PM   #20
allan5oh

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
No I’m not. Check TruckPaper genius and look at how cheap they are. Such an amazing engine you have to take a bath on at resale.

You would be amazed at the people around here that owned S60’s with good luck and went out and got a newer DD15/13 thinking they were getting the same engine. Only to find out Detroit got infected with European stupidity.

“Built like a Mack truck” is now followed up with laughter thanks to the same infection.
Or maybe because the trucks are all 15+ year old fleet trucks? They also have iron bodies that rust away. I did once a year oil changes on my old d12 and on the oil sample everything was low single digits except for iron would be in the teens. I havent heard any other engine coming close to that.

Also if its in a mack its not a d12

Closed Thread