Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > Import Diesel
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Import Diesel VW TDI, Mercedes, and other Import Diesel Discussion can be found here.

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 12:22 AM   #1
TheHammer

Name: TheHammer
Title: broke
Member`s Gallery
Single charger on 335d

Just curious if anyone on here has done a single charger, something along the lines of an efr 8374 or a pt 6176. The turbine options with the small garrets seems like it could be possible to daily this and not run out of charger like my existing hybrids....

Old 09-25-2018, 07:47 AM   #2
TheHammer

Member`s Gallery
[QUOTE=blackmega3500;2681489]The owner of dieselops did. Solid setup from what I had seen of it.[/QUOTE

His is the grey car? Had it on display at ucc? Small frame garret? I know it'd be easy to install a single charger, it would free up some space and make things much more simplistic, plus allow it to not be so limited. It's the driving it on the street without completely smoking everything out (worse then it already does) and still get atleast 40mpg that I'm concerned with. Both tuners I've talked to won't remote tune them, which I understand as it's Unchartered territory. But I believe there are real gains to be had, at a reasonable cost especially compared to the 2900$ cost of these hybrids, which imo a price like that should be much more capable of making more then 550rwhp.

Last edited by TheHammer; 09-25-2018 at 07:53 AM.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:18 AM   #3
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
I think a single makes sense, but have you guys looked at any decent turbo shops that can toss in larger wheels and machine housings?

Also, I'd look at the Garrett GTX line (GTX3000 series probably) since the system already has a stock diverter valve if I'm not mistaken. They're a little more robust and it looks like they flow better.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:51 AM   #4
TheHammer

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneliusRox View Post
I think a single makes sense, but have you guys looked at any decent turbo shops that can toss in larger wheels and machine housings?

Also, I'd look at the Garrett GTX line (GTX3000 series probably) since the system already has a stock diverter valve if I'm not mistaken. They're a little more robust and it looks like they flow better.
The 3076 is on the list to spec out and price, I'm liking the .63 housing option, would think with the wheel options, it would work well on the street. The wheels in these hybrids are already larger and jclipped turbines. That's another reason for wanting to go single on mine and a customers car we've both had our fair share of vac issues with the diverter valve. I might just buy a couple chargers n try them with my existing tune.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:37 AM   #5
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
The diverter valve is vacuum operated? I would have thought on a diesel it has to be electronically actuated based on throttle position, MAP, and RPM.

Old 09-25-2018, 12:45 PM   #6
TheHammer

Member`s Gallery
Correct, a few things are controlled via vacuum on these units. The valve seems most problematic as of now, I thought after shredding the balancer and going to a fluidampr my silly problems would go away. Nope split my Wagner cooler n then a vac problem, with new ic I have to fab 3" pipes so I figured a single charger could correct other issues and fab a clean pipe setup.

Old 09-25-2018, 01:23 PM   #7
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
You should check out stock coolers from a B7 A4. There's two and they're behind the fog lights. It helps a ton for packaging stuff when you move them to that wasted space. It makes routing pretty easy too.

Old 09-25-2018, 04:07 PM   #8
TheHammer

Member`s Gallery
I got a vrsf 7.5. Pretty nice unit. The coolers you speak of are a lot like the ones I just put on a vette I'm turboing.

Old 10-02-2018, 01:01 PM   #9
TheHammer

Member`s Gallery
Gtx3076 with a .63 housing on its way��

Old 10-03-2018, 09:33 AM   #10
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
Sweet! I'm curious how you'll like the spool with a charger like that. It seems like tight housings on larger frames just seems to work well with light cars.

Old 10-03-2018, 12:35 PM   #11
joefarmer

Name: joefarmer
Title: MR. Supreme Overlord
Member`s Gallery
Are you doing anything to the bottom end to handle the power or just leaving it stock?

Old 10-03-2018, 01:50 PM   #12
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefarmer View Post
Are you doing anything to the bottom end to handle the power or just leaving it stock?
If it's anything like their N54 and N55, those things handle around 900whp on stock bottom ends. Stock head bolts and valve springs too.

Old 10-04-2018, 01:12 AM   #13
TheHammer

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneliusRox View Post
If it's anything like their N54 and N55, those things handle around 900whp on stock bottom ends. Stock head bolts and valve springs too.
Correct, the limit has not been found, not saying it is infinite or non existent like some mathematics.... There is one guy doing a monotherm piston and upgraded profile on both cams. He is also doing billet rods, but I think that's to lighten up the rotating mass some after doing away with the aluminum Pistons. The rods in these are stronger then the factory rods in all of our factory rod equipped pick ups, obviously besides those powered buy the 6bt. The factory pistons aluminum metallurgy is rather on the high end compared to anything most of us are use to. They also have 4 cute little reliefs in them factory. As of now I only have springs. The trans is more of a concern even with the new tuning platforms, also another concern is the oe driveshaft joint. Getting some weight out of the car may have bought it some time, but if i spray it with all the fuel on hand(assuming I'm still over 875ftlbs on the single with all new upgrades) I'd expect 1000ftlbs and would like to break 750hp, last results after fuel lab 10303, injectors & modded r90 it made a pretty consistent 876-879ftlbs w/30%meth into the outlet of ic. But for those who don't know good fuel additives in these systems is key because rail pressure is a bit higher then most could ever consider in their trucks as these things do like rpm even with the factory equipped scr.

Last edited by TheHammer; 10-04-2018 at 01:13 AM.

Old 10-04-2018, 11:33 AM   #14
joefarmer

Name: joefarmer
Title: MR. Supreme Overlord
Member`s Gallery
I had no idea they'd take that. The block in the X5 is very pretty and I didn't want to break it. Sounds like the wife's ride needs nitrous but possibly a turbo first.

Old 10-04-2018, 02:00 PM   #15
SmokeShow

Name: SmokeShow
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
How do they tune these foreign cars? Is there something like EFI Live or HPTuners for them or is it all just custom flashes or swap out ECMs?

IG: @_mitch_ratliff_

'14 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew, w/ 3.5L EcoBoost, bone stock

83 GMC K30 CC SB 4WD awaiting D/A chassis swap

Old 10-04-2018, 02:26 PM   #16
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeShow View Post
How do they tune these foreign cars? Is there something like EFI Live or HPTuners for them or is it all just custom flashes or swap out ECMs?
Piggybacks for the new stuff
Cobb Port Tuning
And the N55's is in the process of getting a full suite (only partially unlocked right now)

The German guys seemed to switch to forged cranks, beefy rods, and sleeved blocks about 8 years ago. Prior to that, they bent rods often and the blocks used that aluminum anodize stuff (can't think of the name).

I suppose it's not just them though. The Coyote and new 6.4L Hemi both take a **** ton of boost before they don't like it. They only really need a torque converter past ~700rwhp (turbo and fuel system as well obviously).

Old 10-04-2018, 05:12 PM   #17
SmokeShow

Name: SmokeShow
Member`s Gallery
What are the "bolt ons"? emissions system delete, exhaust, intercooler, what else?

So $5000ish for a pretty reliable 500hp bmw 335d? Sounds FUN!

IG: @_mitch_ratliff_

'14 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew, w/ 3.5L EcoBoost, bone stock

83 GMC K30 CC SB 4WD awaiting D/A chassis swap

Old 10-05-2018, 06:42 PM   #18
TheHammer

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeShow View Post
What are the "bolt ons"? emissions system delete, exhaust, intercooler, what else?

So $5000ish for a pretty reliable 500hp bmw 335d? Sounds FUN!
Takes a good bit to break 500. Turbos are very limited. I ditched the pulse with modulated lift pump after it took out my r90 and injectors. I wouldn't run an intercooler with the oring quick connect, plus a few other things. 400/650 can be had for 2700$. They are a lot of fun and surprising efficient.

Old 10-06-2018, 11:55 PM   #19
Leiffi

Name: Leiffi
Member`s Gallery
Modded 335D twins can do 10s at 1/4 mile, why try something that needs lots of modifications ?

Old 10-07-2018, 10:19 AM   #20
TheHammer

Member`s Gallery
[QUOTE=Leiffi;2682451]Modded 335D twins can do 10s at 1/4 mile, why try something that needs lots of modifications

Excuse my arrogance in this comment, but.... "I'd like to see that." To my knowledge the only D in the 10s is the one previously mentioned. And it is not a full weight car. Plenty of us in the low 11s. As for the rest of it, seems you didn't read much of what was posted.

Closed Thread