Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Vendor Row > Sponsor Forums > Industrial Injection
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 08:15 PM   #1
Jethro6213

Name: Jethro6213
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Towing Twins

I just bought a set of used towing twins. Here is the question, is there a bracket that holds the K31 turbo? What holds the K31 turbo in place? Thanks

Old 12-31-2007, 08:39 PM   #2
Camotanker

Name: Camotanker
Title: All American Retard
Member`s Gallery
depends on whose set they are. if its a II or NWCustoms turbo combo there should be two pieces of metal that are fitted and welded. the smaller piece has a hole in it to mount to the engine.

i don't know about other sets out there but you will want to get one fab'd up.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:17 AM   #3
PRattenbury

Name: PRattenbury
Title: Neophyte
Member`s Gallery
I have those twins. I saw the 2 pieces of metal. They're not welded or anything. one is a flat bar about 9 or 10 inches long with a bend in it. The other is about 4 inches long with 2 holes in it. I realize I'm an idiot and everything, but it sure would have been nice for someone to go the extra mile and provide some instructions and parts inventory. I had to stop the installation and go hunting for v-band clamp, gaskets, rubber bushing for inlet boot of bottom turbo, and probably a couple other small but critical bits missing from the kit. And it could have been me that lost those bits. Nothing huge, it got figured out (except the bottom turbo brace). Just annoying little stuff that could be helped greatly by a couple sheets of paper in the kit. I bought the twins from II because they make a great product. If I didn't like their stuff, I'd have bought someone else's product. So consider this constructive criticism, not a bash. That's the way it's intended.

If corn oil is made from corn and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, what is baby oil made from?

Old 01-01-2008, 02:20 PM   #4
carfichris

Name: carfichris
Title: CNC'ing my life away
Member`s Gallery
P Rat, Your alot more polite than the P-Pump guy on here.....constructive not destructive....Just out of curiosity what did a kit like that cost? I am assuming you bought it new?

Old 01-01-2008, 03:27 PM   #5
Scooter's Roofing

Name: Scooter's Roofing
Member`s Gallery
I've got a PDR twin setup and I have those two same pieces of metal... I believe the one w/ the two holes in it will bolt up to the block plate or the block and the bent piece will weld between it and the hot pipe

Old 01-01-2008, 03:57 PM   #6
Camotanker

Name: Camotanker
Title: All American Retard
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest Nearing
I've got a PDR twin setup and I have those two same pieces of metal... I believe the one w/ the two holes in it will bolt up to the block plate or the block and the bent piece will weld between it and the hot pipe
Indeed.

Old 01-01-2008, 03:58 PM   #7
PRattenbury

Member`s Gallery
Well, I wouldn't mind doing the welding, and will do so when I figure out how they should be oriented to properly support the K31. I'm just thinking that sitting down for a couple hours on the computer with a word processor and a digital camera to produce a set of illustrated instructions and a parts list would save several hours of trial and error, and some running around chasing absent parts, if that were to apply to the situation. I have a second truck, so I was able to leave the one getting the twins installed inoperable while arranging to get the missing parts. Not everyone has that luxury. Anyway, I wanted to just try and share my experience and suggest that a little documentation would go a long way to streamline and simplify the install for the customer. To their credit, if I had problems with the kit I bought from Industrial Injection that justified action on their part, they were very fast to provide what was needed to bring a solution, once the solution was figured out. One case in point was the pipe from the top turbo to the intercooler would not line up for love nor money. After many phone calls around the country, it was determined the top turbo was set up for a 3rd gen truck. Mine is 2nd gen 12 valve. Once the problem was discovered and I got in touch with Brett at II, he immediately express-shipped the proper compressor housing to Connecticut on Friday, and I had it Monday. In fact, it got sent out SO fast, they forgot to modify the housing body to account for clearance to the exhaust manifold when the turbo is mounted in a twins application. I had to take the turbo back off, compare it to the 3rd gen housing to determine the proper location and amount of material to remove for clearance, and put it back on. So they are very much on the ball to correct any error on their part, and would probably correct an error even if it was my fault, to be sure they have a customer that ends up with a product that fits and functions as it should. Again, a picture in a document would have been worth a thousand phone calls. So I hope everyone can construe what I am saying as a suggestion to a great company with great customer service to improve a great product, and not a bunch of whining. Anyone who bombs their ride needs to understand, of course, that custom is custom, and creativity and resourcefulness are required to make things not meant to be on the vehicle originally actually fit and function well. I understand, and hope my constructive criticism is recieved and considered for helping future customers with an easier time with their install.

If corn oil is made from corn and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, what is baby oil made from?

Old 01-01-2008, 04:03 PM   #8
PRattenbury

Member`s Gallery
Chris,
I did buy the kit new, but I don't have the invoices handy. I bought them a long time ago, which is why I had to inject it's possible I lost a couple small parts to the kit. I'm sure Industrial Injection would be happy to let you know what their current price is. They are quite knowledgable and glad to answer questions on the phone.

Old 01-01-2008, 04:07 PM   #9
Scooter's Roofing

Name: Scooter's Roofing
Member`s Gallery
there's a reason my twins are sitting in the closet peeking out at me whenever I walk by...

my truck is my daily work truck, and I've been down the "twins" road before... it can be a lot longer road than you anticipate!

Old 01-01-2008, 04:48 PM   #10
carfichris

Name: carfichris
Title: CNC'ing my life away
Member`s Gallery
Ok thanks and glad to see they took care of you

Old 01-01-2008, 04:54 PM   #11
Jethro6213

Member`s Gallery
Thanks guys. I am mising these parts out of my kit. I need to call II and see if they will sell me these parts. The only flat piece I got is the piece where the oil drain bolts to on the K31 turbo. Does any one have a pic of these pieces that I need. Thanks again.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:31 PM   #12
PRattenbury

Member`s Gallery
Not fer nuttin, it looks like you could go to Home Depot, get some steel flat stock, use a grinder, a drill, and a welder, and do the same job. You'll need the grinder and welder regardless.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:29 AM   #13
TopFueler

Name: TopFueler
Title: Industrial Injection
Member`s Gallery
We do realize that the turbo support brackets are lacking and have been fabbing a better support bracket in house. The new support bracket bolts to the oil drain and has an adjustable support rod that bolts to the engine block. The alignment is easy and the adjustability makes for a faster install. P Ratt if you need one of these new supports, I would send you one right away. Thanks

Old 01-02-2008, 03:25 AM   #14
Jethro6213

Member`s Gallery
Thanks for the reply TopFueler. I was hoping you would chime in. So let me get this right, the support for the K31 turbo is the adjustable rod that bolts to the oil drain? The guy sent me that part I was just wondering if there was another support that I was missing. Thanks

Old 01-07-2008, 12:38 AM   #15
Jethro6213

Member`s Gallery
Does anyone have a set of instructions on installing the towing twins? The guy I got mine from didn't send them to me. Thanks

Old 01-07-2008, 12:42 AM   #16
Jethro6213

Member`s Gallery
One more question, what size (mm) is the K31 turbo used in the towing twins kit?

Old 01-07-2008, 01:01 AM   #17
TMONEYDIESEL

Name: TMONEYDIESEL
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
71mm inducer

Last edited by TMONEYDIESEL; 01-07-2008 at 01:04 AM.

Closed Thread