I'm back! '89 ammeter problems

Big Smoky

Former 35er Electrician!
Hey yall! Feels good to be back in the diesel world! I have an '89 and just got the alternator hooked back up, in the factory configuration. Everything works and it is charging, however I cannot get the ammeter to work. What wires go to where for the ammeter? Its not a huge deal but since everything else on the dash works, including the fuel gauge, it would be nice if this would work too! The ammeter has been in this position ever since I got the truck and does not move. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• image0.jpg
    image0.jpg
    427.8 KB · Views: 0
Try a different cluster

I would but this is the original cluster and this is the only thing that doesn't work. I just figured I might be able to trace the wires if I knew which ones. If I can't get it working its not that big of a deal as I'll probably end up putting in a voltmeter anyway.

Do you have a wiring diagram?

Search TDR for the OEM diagram and trace from there. These trucks have usable links that are over 30 years old. I’d start there.

I meant to type fusable link.

If you are a first time 1st gen owner, a wiring diagram on the passenger seat is standard operating procedure. Next time you run the HVAC blower on hi for 20-30 min, feel the plastic cover under the column. It will be warm.

I meant to type fusable link.

If you are a first time 1st gen owner, a wiring diagram on the passenger seat is standard operating procedure. Next time you run the HVAC blower on hi for 20-30 min, feel the plastic cover under the column. It will be warm.

Yes, I know about the fusible links. What’s weird though is the ammeter is the only thing that doesn’t work. When fusible links go, you seem to lose multiple things at the same time. I want to get the 89 specific FSM and diesel supplement. 89’s are pretty unique and different with their wiring compared to later first gens, I’ve found.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back