Boost gauge flutter.

SmokinCAT

Cheap and Easy.
Curious if anyone might have some insight as to what would cause my boost gauge to pulsate at a high frequency, it only happens after a certain engine rpm.

It has done this as a single and now in a compound setup, I see no fluctuation in the boost from the LP turbo.

Cheap gauge, air pulses in the manifold, turbo surge...

A liquid filled gauge usually doesn't flutter.

I have switched gauges and both gauges act this way on the overall boost, both are autometers. The line comes out before the air to water, shouldn't that deaden the pulsations?

What's the best way to stop the surging.

My 1st gen did this years ago, never could figure it out. That was with just mild sticks and a hybrid 35/40. Hope you get it figured out, it drove me nuts for months!

Isspro makes a snubber valve that works ok. The other option would be a fitting with a hole that's extremely small.

I have a 1.65 housing for my manifold charger, may put it on and see how that changes it compared to the 1.32.

My autometer ultralite comp has an extremely tiny hole in it and it works rather well.. I have 5 feet of 1/8 tubing feeding it though... Is your tubing larger? I would try the snubber first...

My autometer ultralite comp has an extremely tiny hole in it and it works rather well.. I have 5 feet of 1/8 tubing feeding it though... Is your tubing larger? I would try the snubber first...

No, I have prolly 7ft of 1/8" feeding it.

you need the snubber for autometer... my boost gauge that is also a autometer for my h line does the same thing.. works fine till about 50psi.. and then when its maxed at 65psi it flutteres very rapidly. autometer says the gauge has to have the snubber to read properly.

im ordering mine tomm morning.

Have tried that, did the same thing with turbo I took off which was quite a bit smaller.

What were the specs? Too small of a turbine/tight housing for the compressor wheel will cause surge, even if its a smaller compressor wheel.

What were the specs? Too small of a turbine/tight housing for the compressor wheel will cause surge, even if its a smaller compressor wheel.

Both were factory spec turbochargers for a CAT 3406, nothing had been changed on the first one as to the way it came from the factory.

The turbo I am using now has a 79/108 compressor wheel and the 96mm BW exhaust wheel, I am running a non gated 1.32 housing, the turbo originally came with a 1.65w/g housing.

Plenty of people using these turbos out there on similarly set up engines without any issues. Also I run an open intake when I pull and have never heard anything out of the ordinary on the compressor side.

I've had an Autometer Ultra-lite II mechanical boost gauge (0-60psi range) in my pile for a couple of years now and haven't had a single issue with it. 1/8" copper tubing from the intake manifold to the gauge on the A-pillar. Seen as much as 45psi at the most so far.

Back