Air ride front end kenworth

No, drop axle meaning the center of the spindle is higher than the spring pads. Center where the springs set is lower.

You need to use ALL of the parts off a stock AG130 truck. That’s the problem they ran into, tried to mix the parts and it drove like crap. Tried a 3” drop axle and short shackles or hangers (I can’t remember which) and lowered the bags to compensate so it wasn’t sitting high in the front.

If your spring pins don’t have grease zirk’s it’s because someone ordered it that way. You can change them because if they’re not popping now they will be. Grease guns are hard to operate for some fleets I guess.

So there setup the bottom spring would have been angled up toward the frame. Then lowering the air pressure to drop the truck down wouldn’t give the truck the support needed.

I’m gonna have to find measurements off the spring to move the rear hanger the proper amount. And get the longer hangers. Once that’s done if I don’t like where my truck sits I’ll have to either add shims to raise the truck or get a lower drop axle. Which I don’t want as it’s low enough the way it is. Getting an ag130 complete would be easier but imagine it be tough find round here.

I meant the Pete photos you posted didn’t have zirks. Yes mine do and I try to grease enough lol but it’s probably not enough. I know of guys that come off fleet and grease at oil changes.

Sorry if my questions are redundant. I like to gather as much info as I can. Learn what I can. I can fix stuff but have my limits and it’s nice to save on some r&d sometimes.

If you have to alter the truck that much you obviously have the wrong one to start with

Hmmmm, I’ve never seen a vehicle that didn’t need modified. LOL

How do you guys go about welding the frame up? A metal slug on inside blocking hole?

I have a 2”x3”x1/2” copper plate I clamp on the back side. Spray it with anti spatter, and you can weld against it.

I usually close the hole, which on a 5/8” or 3/4” hole will fill it about half way, them move to another hole until I can lay my hand on the partially filled one. Then go back around and finish filling them.
Flap disc it smooth, paint it, and rock on.

Last edited:
Hard to find used 100% like you want. And some of us don’t like stock.

And harder to buy new like you want.

One thing I regret is putting another 8 bag back under this truck. Wish I would have had some experience with how rough it is to steer me in a different direction.

Hmmmm, I’ve never seen a vehicle that didn’t need modified. LOL

I have a 2”x3”x1/2” copper plate I clamp on the back side. Spray it with anti spatter, and you can weld against it.

I usually close the hole, which on a 5/8” or 3/4” hole will fill it about half way, them move to another hole until I can lay my hand on the partially filled one. Then go back around and finish filling them.
Flap disc it smooth, paint it, and rock on.

I think I’ll get some copper and clean my truck up some.

When you start mixing and matching front end parts it really easy to throw off the camber/camber ( never can remember which is which) and that will mess with the return to center, and can/will cause bump steer.
The only way to use the short rear hanger/shackle assembly would be IF you could move the front of the spring up the same amount as the difference in length between the rear shackle/hanger assemblies.

When you start mixing and matching front end parts it really easy to throw off the camber/camber ( never can remember which is which) and that will mess with the return to center, and can/will cause bump steer.
The only way to use the short rear hanger/shackle assembly would be IF you could move the front of the spring up the same amount as the difference in length between the rear shackle/hanger assemblies.

There’s no moving the front of my spring up. I would have to assume it’s at the same height relative to the frame as on an ag130 suspension then also to use the longer rear shackle.

So besides measuring a truck that has an ag130 on it. How does one go about making sure distance from front spring mount to the Center of the rear shackle is correct and that they are in the right spot horizontally to each other. On top of which how does the axle get centred on the new springs?

Before, during, and after.

Attachments

• 2569BB9A-BCEB-4E6F-B1BA-2B73C76F005B.jpg
    2569BB9A-BCEB-4E6F-B1BA-2B73C76F005B.jpg
    378.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 367A5B8E-02F2-4A45-B01D-9FF8C6976D01.jpg
    367A5B8E-02F2-4A45-B01D-9FF8C6976D01.jpg
    360.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 93C660C5-311B-4DD4-BE7E-6A5CF2E31369.jpg
    93C660C5-311B-4DD4-BE7E-6A5CF2E31369.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 0
There’s no moving the front of my spring up. I would have to assume it’s at the same height relative to the frame as on an ag130 suspension then also to use the longer rear shackle.

So besides measuring a truck that has an ag130 on it. How does one go about making sure distance from front spring mount to the Center of the rear shackle is correct and that they are in the right spot horizontally to each other. On top of which how does the axle get centred on the new springs?

The new spring assembly will have a centering pin.

You really need to have the spring there to get your front to rear measurement.

To get the rear shackle at the correct spot horizontally I would want a measurement from the top bolt to the bottom of the frame on an existing setup.

On my Freightliner Classic I took the front spring mount off, plated and welded the existing hole shut and redrilled it 1” higher, then swapped the rear shackle for one that was 1&3/8”shorter. Along with reconfiguring the spring pack, and a 5” drop axle I was able to get front end down 4.5”.

Last edited:
The new spring assembly will have a centering pin.

You really need to have the spring there to get your front to rear measurement.

To get the rear shackle at the correct spot horizontally I would want a measurement from the top bolt to the bottom of the frame on an existing setup.

On my Freightliner Classic I took the front spring mount off, plated and welded the existing hole shut and redrilled it 1” higher, then swapped the rear shackle for one that was 1&3/8”shorter. Along with reconfiguring the spring pack, and a 5” drop axle I was able to get front end down 4.5”.

Ya somehow need to get near a truck with the suspension on I guess or find a wreck.

On Stengel website it mentions different springs for ag130. The question is will the taper spring linked up above have the Center pin to Center the axle on the proper spot on my truck. Assuming I can’t move the front spring mount. I can look better tomorrow but on the kw I don’t think it’s possible without a large amount of work. It’s part of my tow hook and bumper mount.

I would really like to know the measurement from the bottom of the frame to the center of the front spring eye on a factory AG130 setup.

My truck is roughly 8” down on the front, 5.5” hanger and 4” shackle gibbing 9-9.5” at the back. 3” drop axle with 27.25” from front pin to Center of axle and the same to back pin.

My truck is roughly 8” down on the front, 5.5” hanger and 4” shackle giving 9-9.5” at the back. 3” drop axle with 27.25” from front pin to Center of axle and the same to back pin.

So you’re saying that the center of the front spring eye is 8” below the bottom of the frame?

Last edited:
So you’re saying that the center of the front spring eye is 8” below the bottom of the frame?

Yes. Keep in mind I did this in -30(-47 windchill) measuring off the ground, just rough measurements. If I get the truck into the shop Monday I’ll get exact measurements.

I’ll post proper measurements when I can measure right. And if I can find a truck with ag130 I’ll try lift the hood and get all the same measurements. That part might take a while lol. I haven’t seen one in person as of yet.

Is there only one spring configuration for the ag130?

Yes. Keep in mind I did this in -30(-47 windchill) measuring off the ground, just rough measurements. If I get the truck into the shop Monday I’ll get exact measurements.

I’ll post proper measurements when I can measure right. And if I can find a truck with ag130 I’ll try lift the hood and get all the same measurements. That part might take a while lol. I haven’t seen one in person as of yet.

Is there only one spring configuration for the ag130?

I’m not questioning your measurements, just a little surprised that the front spring eye is that far below the frame. My Classic was 4.25” below the frame when it was stock, and it’s closer now.

I’ve got a friend in Ontario with a 2019 389 that has an AG130. He’s supposed to get me some measurements Monday.

Last edited:
I’m not questioning your measurements, just a little surprised that the front spring eye is that far below the frame. My Classic was 4.25” below the frame when it was stock, and it’s closer now.

I’ve got a friend in Ontario with a 2019 389 that has an AG130. He’s supposed to get me some measurements Monday.

Ya I was surprised too. In my mind it was just below the frame.

Mine is part of the tow hook and bumper mount.

I got a real mutt here in the shop. Wester Star with air ride steer. Leveling valve is on the passenger side. Truck sits about 1-2 inches higher o the drivers side though. This look right the correct setup for this? Any ideas to get it level?

Attachments

• 20191230_224646.jpg
    20191230_224646.jpg
    365.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20191230_224655.jpg
    20191230_224655.jpg
    431.7 KB · Views: 0
Back