School me on TDI's......

The auto tranny in that car is a time bomb, it also will need a cam more than likely. 04 was a changeover year from the ALH engine to the PD engine and the early models were notorious for eating cams.

The auto tranny in that car is a time bomb, it also will need a cam more than likely. 04 was a changeover year from the ALH engine to the PD engine and the early models were notorious for eating cams.

I tried explaining that about the cam

Reaper of Threads

Are there any signs a cam is taking a dump without taking it apart and measuring? So I'm pretty safe as far as the cam issue with the 1999.5-2003's?

No. VW used that as a scape goat. Mine has 100k of 505.01 Castrol records and its dying.

Its the multiple load vectors on the cam. The cam resonates instead of staying loaded in one primary direction.

Reaper of Threads

T the older engines didn't use the cam to drive the injectors so they don't have the same issue.

Reaper of Threads

Aaaah I see. Well I guess I'll keep looking for a 200-2003, should I decide to buy an 04, how hard is it to swap out a cam?

Good looking car... not horrible on price for miles.

If they can't PROVE the timing belt was done at 100K then have it done IMMEDIATELY! http://www.DieselGeek.com for TB kit

Also check the intake to make sure its not clogged up with EGR crap. Delete the EGR ASAP!

2004 will be a PD motor...pop the valve cover and check for cam wear as mentioned. Colt Cams offers a couple different TDI cams.

Last edited:
Its got a new tranny.........

dupasany.jpg

My wife has a 05 passat TDI. It's a nice car....I don't care for the auto. I don't know if the jettas suffer from this but, I've had to flush the heater core out a couple of times.

I have a timing belt kit waiting to go in. Just waiting on a frostheater :(
Didn't come with a block heater.

eby4a4us.jpg

Thoughts??

Considering his "mods" I'd step away from it, probably did all kinds of stupid stuff to it.

Are the autos REALLY that bad?

je3a4a5e.jpg

These autos aren't terrible, its a different trans than is mated to the ALH.
These have balance shaft issues as well as cam issues - retrofit an ALH or BRM oil pump to it and that will fix the balance shaft problem and install a colt cam at the same time.
Other than that, awesome cars. 32-36mpg is typical for them

You'll drop $4500 into a rebuilt auto trans that will last another 100k. Its the VP of TDI trans.

See above, different trans than you're thinking of, they are still a slushbox though.

If you're willing to spend 9k plus get the Passat all fixed up, look at a 2009 common rail TDI, just don't put gas in them and you'll be fine. Its a much nicer car in my opinion. I paid 11k for mine.

Camshaft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

135,000 miles. 10,000 mile service intervals. Castol edge 505.01 vw spec oil at each change in my care until last oil change. It got mobil tdt full syn. Bought with 62000 miles and service receipts where it was serviced at the dealer with dealer oil (which could have been whatever was convenient for them).

Anyway, i think i only saw 4 lobes that aren't worn excessively.

First photo shows crescent shaped lines in a horizontal axis. Those are layers that have worn through. One of the others its the #3 injector lobe.
It has spalled out or cut through. It was facing away from me so i just shoved my phone in there for a pic

Monkey Fist Rage

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1387660875580.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1387660875580.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 0
  • uploadfromtaptalk1387660886667.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1387660886667.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 0
  • uploadfromtaptalk1387660899129.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1387660899129.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 0
  • uploadfromtaptalk1387660917239.jpg