"53" Block

DieselDiva

Pure Diesel Power
Anybody have any horror stories about the 53 block? Anybody have one that they have had no issues with?
I'm looking at another 98 12 valve. I'll find out tomorrow if it's a 53 or not, but I'd like to hear some personal experience stories.

99 24 V 300HP auto, 3" split. Lock $titched-1.5 yrs, split above that one, just Lock $ Stitched again.

Unless the truck is dirt cheap, I would avoid 53 blocks(especially 24 Vs.)

That sucks!
Nah, it's not dirt cheap, but it's definately fairly priced. If it's a 53 I don't think I'm even going to bother with it. We already have 1 engine tore apart and have 2 to go before the season starts. We don't need another one!!:hehe:

193,000miles on a 53 block. No cracks clean block just pulled it out and checked it. Was running like 500hp with old set up

1 98 12v complete eng. 190,000 no cracks, 2 99 24v engs. with cracks, and one 99 bare block with a crack.

I read somewhere that the 53 blocks affect approximately 100,000 blocks and that they aren't all in Dodges. Anyone know what else they were put in??

53 blocks were installed in various applications. Ive seen them in buses and some rv's as well as the Dodges. If your going for high hp. I'd opt to reblock one with the higher strength storm block.

Step vans, Dodge pickups, FLD-70 I believe all have the ISB with the 53 block problems, maybe more. My bosses 99 Ram cracked three times before he got a replacement block. He would simply weld it and send it back on the road. Mileage at first problem was 196k, and each weld would last about 3k before cracking right above it and breaking the weld in the process.

After doing numerous searches while looking for my CTD's, there haven't been many, if any, reports of 12 Valves having the same cracking issues. Is it worth the chance? I would take one in a heart beat, but others would be hesitant.

Mine had roughly 98K miles on it and about 50 hooks when it gave up the ghost and cracked. I still have it, been meaning to turn it into a really sweet coffee table.........

-Tom

A good post above Toms for anyone with a crack, DONT WELD THESE BLOCKS!! The metal is garbage, and wayyy too thin. Once you start welding it just gets worse.

I saw a take out from a Fed Ex truck, 53 block. A guy with a Dodge came to buy it after he checked some other numbers. He insisted the 53 was ok if it was such and such number.. I said ok, have fun! Haven't heard back from him.

I have seen with my own eyes a 96 12v with the "53 block" crack we didn't fix it. I had a 99 24v a lot of hooks 1/3 of them about 600 hp and over 130k miles and not crack.

No real pattern as far as cracking other than 99 being a very bad year for the cracking problem in dodge , rv,freightliner. Other years not as much of a problem.

Changing engines in an rv SUCKS !!

IKE

Tcolesanti said:
Mine had roughly 98K miles on it and about 50 hooks when it gave up the ghost and cracked. I still have it, been meaning to turn it into a really sweet coffee table.........

-Tom

Yep, that's what I'd use it for too. Coffee tables with built in cup holders are pretty hard to find.

Just got a call from the guy who has that truck for sale. He didn't find 53 on the block. Instead he found "147C". YAY!

So out of curiosity, anybody know anything about these blocks??

147C means good news apparently. IIRC, it's an ISB replacement. Find out where the water pump is located.

As for welding a 53 block, it is a big no no. But the truck got used daily pulling trailers, and he couldn't afford to have it down. After picking up an 01 as a backup truck, he immediately ordered the new block and tore the 99 apart. In a pinch, it will work, but is by no means a good fix. Just thought I'd add that in there.

My uncle, and dad both have 53 blocks. One is a 12 valve, the other is a 24 valve. Neither has caused problems, and both were stock. One of my buddies had a 98 24v with injectors, and a comp, and no problems with the block at over 200k miles.

Eric

Back