Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 12:06 PM   #1
Randall12v

Name: Randall12v
Title: ...
Member`s Gallery
Propane..

I was wanting to look into running a propane kit on my truck...anyone run this on a 12 valve? what type of hp and tq gains would I be looking at?? I haven't looked into any kits yet, but does anyone know if they are controlled from onboard...or some mount on the dash that will control the amount of pressure of propane coming out? Is there any type of gauge to possible watch the pressure?? Any ideas of the best kit out there? Merry Christmas Everyone!

Old 12-25-2006, 02:15 PM   #2
Trapper

Name: Trapper
Title: Hater
Member`s Gallery
Propane was the thing to do about 5-6 years ago. It's not the best power adder. It can be used safely but its not as effective as we thought, I would look for injectors and a turbo.

Old 12-25-2006, 02:42 PM   #3
RacinDuallie

Name: RacinDuallie
Title: Black Sheep Racing
Member`s Gallery
Be very careful with spikey cylinder pressures using LPG. . . Been known to take out quite a few headgaskets......

Old 12-25-2006, 03:26 PM   #4
Timbeaux

Name: Timbeaux
Title: Administrator and Head Thread Derailer
Member`s Gallery
Save the propane for your steaks and get some pump mods, injectors and a turbo. You will make more power more safely than with propane. I have only seen abbout 50 hp with LP, and it is rough on the motor
NO LIMIT FAB, DIESEL SOUTH, DC CUSTOMS
Quote:
"I just love everything about racing. I wanna race every single day. Its nothing for me to be cutting grass and the neighbor hoss the gas on his mower, and there we are, lined up in the the middle of the street." - Stevie KillinTime Jackson
"Against stupidity, the gods themselves fight unvictorious."

Old 12-26-2006, 09:47 AM   #5
oldsmokey97

Name: oldsmokey97
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
i totally agree.

Jack that pump up and give it some air. You will be more than happy.!!!!
If you use ANY kinda "drug" make it NOS. If you have to have something.

Lance

Old 12-26-2006, 11:54 AM   #6
powershotone

Name: powershotone
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
"I was wanting to look into running a propane kit on my truck...anyone run this on a 12 valve? what type of hp and tq gains would I be looking at?? I haven't looked into any kits yet, but does anyone know if they are controlled from onboard...or some mount on the dash that will control the amount of pressure of propane coming out? Is there any type of gauge to possible watch the pressure?? Any ideas of the best kit out there? "

Systems are different, so do some homework. Propane gets a bad rap, but if you do a search of this or other forums, you will not find too much justification or documentation for it. Those that have it and use it are usually very happy with it.

You will see gains of around 60-80 hp and around 150 ft lbs torque on a stock or slightly modified 12 valve.

Some are just basically power on and power off, controlled by a pressure switch, that kicks in the engine mounted regulator/vaporzier at a certain pressure that you set. This kick in time can be adjusted, but the amount of propane is kind of set. Some have computer controls that have different perimeters you can set to try and control the flow. Others are variable flow, and controlled and metered with boost pressure, so the flow is throttle controlled and on demand. With this type, your boost gauge is your monitor for knowing the amount of pressure of propane coming out.

Closed Thread