Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Entrance Gate- Welcome to Competition Diesel > Multimedia > Photography
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Photography A Place For Question's and Comments on Photography.

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 09:12 PM   #21
crpower

Name: crpower
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
I know mine rusted because of last winter, before that the guy I bought it off of garage kept it since new.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:26 PM   #22
Bersaglieri

Name: Bersaglieri
Title: Ron Swanson's Brother
Member`s Gallery
Got a few bubbles attacking my bed wheel wells, since it's a work truck I'll probably gob grease all over it and hope for the best. The 12 valve oil leaks just couldn't get high enough on the body to save her.

The last two trucks I bought from the southwest for a reason, things down there just don't rust, no water, no salt.
1994 - LT1 - 4L80e - Moser

Old 10-24-2014, 11:34 PM   #23
Lucky Jeff

Name: Lucky Jeff
Title: Stock Sucks
Member`s Gallery
Don't know how you car guys live back there. I'd move in a heartbeat. I bought a Jeep that was in Indiana for just 2 years and there is more rust under it then anything I have owned.
02 Grand Cherokee - ummmmm?
http://www.facebook.com/JBrentson

Old 10-26-2014, 01:14 AM   #24
kawi600

Name: kawi600
Title: got Coal for Christmas
Member`s Gallery
If thats through the paint its through the metal from behind youll have to cut it out and weld up a patch =(
I just did up a lower door skin it came out good but damn it was more work than I wanted to do.
If you live in the rust belt just start spraying fluid film under the truck once a year before winter. inside doors, rockers, cab corners, fenders, undercarriage.
yeah it sucks living up here. Not just the weather either.
Psalm 37:10,11
Isaiah 65:20

Last edited by kawi600; 10-26-2014 at 01:16 AM.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:57 AM   #25
dirtydiesel

Name: dirtydiesel
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
I had to buy a beater car for this winter so I can put my 4wd truck in storage... Pa sucks
2006 chevy 2500HD LBZ, MBRP, FASS, EFI live, PPE, RDL egr delete,DE downpipe, alligator performance pvc reroute, cognito braces, rareparts tierods, SC 1054 Big Dipper trans, Danville stg 2 3794, 45 over injectors, fleece 10mm cp3. Lowered 2 inches 11.82@114

Old 10-28-2014, 08:21 PM   #26
crpower

Name: crpower
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydiesel View Post
I had to buy a beater car for this winter so I can put my 4wd truck in storage... Pa sucks

Yup me too, picking up a Saturn tomorrow for the new daily.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:58 AM   #27
Tdoorn28

Name: Tdoorn28
Title: SuperRookie
Member`s Gallery
thats why i slash tires on all our salt trucks when it snows

Old 03-06-2015, 10:18 AM   #28
RockinRam96

Name: RockinRam96
Member`s Gallery
Rust is the DEVIL!

My father bought an 05 out of Texas with no rust at all. He religiously sprays this penetrating oil/ rust protection called Crown in his wheel wells. Takes the tail lights out to get over top of the rear wheel wells. Sometimes uses ATF and diesel fuel, but doesn't hang on quite as well. Well see how long his treatments last.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:46 AM   #29
nopwr

Name: nopwr
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
my tail gate is starting to rust from the bottom up.. =(

Old 05-27-2015, 10:24 AM   #30
zfaylor

Name: zfaylor
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Cutting out rust and welding in patches will not last very long unless you are able to prime and paint it from the inside. An entire new panel (bedside, fender, door, etc..) is the only long term solution. When you weld a patch in you burn off the paint on the inside of the panel. If it rusted through the panel from the inside to begin with you are in for a treat with bare metal on the inside. I have done close to ten trucks repairing rust. Entirely new panels and seam sealer are your best friends.

North American Turbo

Old 05-27-2015, 11:59 AM   #31
97rada

Name: 97rada
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zfaylor View Post
Cutting out rust and welding in patches will not last very long unless you are able to prime and paint it from the inside. An entire new panel (bedside, fender, door, etc..) is the only long term solution. When you weld a patch in you burn off the paint on the inside of the panel. If it rusted through the panel from the inside to begin with you are in for a treat with bare metal on the inside. I have done close to ten trucks repairing rust. Entirely new panels and seam sealer are your best friends.

What do you do for rockers?

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex...it takes a touch of genius- and alot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:21 PM   #32
zfaylor

Name: zfaylor
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97rada View Post
What do you do for rockers?
Cut the spot welds out with a spot weld cutter and replace from front fender back to the cab corner. A seam is inevitable on those. There is only one welded seam that is difficult to get to which is on the pillar behind the door. The rest is spot welded. Lots of seam sealer where the rocker and cab corner meet. The use the access holes of the rocker and cab corner to spray inner frame coating into it. Then seam seal anywhere water or salt could get in. This has worked extremely well so far on 4 2nd gen dodges. First one was 6 years ago. That truck was wrecked this spring and everything was still rust free at the seams.

Frame coating:

http://www.eastwood.com/internal-fra...bpUaAgHS8P8HAQ

North American Turbo

Old 05-27-2015, 11:55 PM   #33
Shainer

Name: Shainer
Member`s Gallery
zfaylor is right. Unless you have access to both sides of the panel to properly prep, paint, rust proof you will truly be amazed at how fast the rust will come back when patching in panels.

I disagree with noreaster to some extent. Problem is 99% of people just clean the body. You have to clean the undercarriage. I don't mean car washes that spray the undercarriage either. I thoroughly spray the undercarriage, even got attachments to change the direction of spray almost 90 degrees. Then I look under to verify things are rinsed. If thoroughly rinsed the salt is neutralized. Yes I will wash when the weather is still crap, and the roads are still covered. From a chemistry perspective I will improve the odds greatly, but only if willing to make sure you get clean water into the nooks. Only problem areas I have are doors with inadequate or no seam sealer on the inside of the pinch weld, which usually have minimal to no paint protection. Those will rust out no matter what you do.

Closed Thread