Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 09:59 PM   #1
Mopar440_6

Name: Mopar440_6
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
New Truck, Is It Worth It?

Need some advice from those in the know. Background is, I've had my 1994 RCLB 2500 for 13 years and over 150K miles now. For the past several years I've had to put significant amounts of money into it to keep it on the road. It never truly failed me until last year when the 47RH finally let go at 248K. I swapped in an NV4500 and kept on going. But we're coming up on inspection time and I know its going to need a good bit of maintenance once again. Also, being a regular cab, it doesn't fit the family. The wife and I have casually discussed upgrading to a 3rd gen for years but she's finally agreed that its probably well past time to replace it.

So, now I have the carte blanche to go get a new truck but I keep hearing horror stories (single digit mpg, no power, variable turbos failing, emissions codes, limp modes, ect) about the new trucks and I know very little about them. It seems like all of the pre-2013 trucks are WAY overpriced and I can actually get a better deal on a leftover 2016 but if I buy new I don't really want to delete it until the warranty is up. My requirements are pretty simple: 3500, CCLB, 4X4, DRW, 6spd, <100K. I use my truck like a truck. 70% of the time its got a trailer behind it, 29% its hauling something, 1% I just felt like driving it.

-Is the fuel mileage going to eat me alive until its deleted?
-Is it really worth it to pay 20-30% more than book value for a pre-emissions or pre-DEF truck and several thousand more to delete it (pre-DEF) right away?
-Are the manual 4th gen trucks really de-rated and as gutless as some say?
-Would I be better off dealing with the lack of 4 doors and just restoring my 12V?
-What would you do if the significant other said "you deserve a new truck, go get what you want"?

Old 03-02-2017, 11:03 PM   #2
Stuffy

Name: Stuffy
Title: First Gen
Member`s Gallery
My dads company got a 2016 6.7 with a manual last year. I really like it. It's not a race vehicle by any means but it's got plenty of power. Tows 30-40% of the time and always maintains double digit mpg to my knowledge. Empty it goes up to 18 mpg. It is a 3/4 ton single rear wheel though. Almost 20000 miles and no problems yet

Old 03-02-2017, 11:18 PM   #3
Bodacious

Name: Bodacious
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
This is my advice and mine only. Don't do it. The emissions equipment on the new trucks costs more than a basic first gen on the showroom floor. Our tax dollars went to develop the technology. You pay again for the tech when you buy the truck. The injectors fire at least four times as much as a 12 valve and cost six times as much.

I was never happier to see a truck go than the day the wifes '09 left. I loved the way the truck pulled and the comfort was nice, but, every time I had to work on it, it cost me at least $500 and if it weren't for the fine folks here, the dang thing would still be broke down.

Head bolts that only torque to 75 lb-ft. Drive pressures from the VGT lift the heads on unmodified trucks.

I liked her truck at first but soon realized how valuable our old 12 valves are. We manual fuel kill all ours so even if the battery dies, you can get home.

I wont even start on the death wobble thing. You currently own a truck with the potential. I've never, ever had a first gen do that stupid crap!!!!!!!!!!!1

Old 03-03-2017, 06:02 AM   #4
badbowtie

Name: badbowtie
Title: custom engine daydreamer
Member`s Gallery
I agree with Arch. My third gen left me stranded 5 times before the dealer finally figured out the ecm was junk. Then the security system wouldn't let the truck start, it was a lawn ornament for about a month while I chased that one down. I upgraded to a 4th gen, that lasted for about a year before single digit economy and waiting 2 weeks for an abs ecm . All that time driving a Dart rental because FCA is not responsible for providing an equivalent rental just transportation. I now have a first gen and a 96 12v. Don't get me wrong I believe you are going to spend money either way. Either payments or repairs.

96 3500 5x018 7mm dvs 64.5sxe
90 d350 5x010 hx35

Old 03-03-2017, 06:06 AM   #5
Bodacious

Name: Bodacious
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Don't get me wrong I believe you are going to spend money either way. Either payments or repairs.
lol, I sorta agree with ya, but, for $55-$60k, I could have one very awesome first gen that would blow this new stuff out of the water.

Old 03-03-2017, 06:44 AM   #6
jfaulkner

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodacious View Post
lol, I sorta agree with ya, but, for $55-$60k, I could have one very awesome first gen that would blow this new stuff out of the water.

You throw $55k at a first gen and you'll be broke and have a truck worth $15k. It's no different than people remodeling old houses. Burn through cash and still have an old house with old house issues. Everything has a useable life.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:31 AM   #7
Highwayman

Name: Highwayman
Title: bored.
Member`s Gallery
I've looked at it a few different ways.
New vs old:
less of a likelihood but more expensive repairs vs more little simple stuff.
Dealership work vs whoever you want
Warranty (possibly) vs

As much as I disagree with Jfaulkner's outlook on this stuff, it really does come down to how you value your time.

You know what has saved me the headache of dealing with these trucks?
Buying a car. I have absolutely no reason to daily a truck other than to look "manly". I've never seen the appeal of burning all of that fuel.
If you don't NEED one, put some cash in the 12v, let it sit until you need it, and drive a sedan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfreak24 View Post
Lolzzzzzz fakin haters

Old 03-03-2017, 07:43 AM   #8
Ram12vcummins

Name: Ram12vcummins
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Buy a 3/4th gen with bad motor an drop the 12v in it.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:11 AM   #9
Signature600

Name: Signature600
Title: THA MAN!
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram12vcummins View Post
Buy a 3/4th gen with bad motor an drop the 12v in it.
That sounds like the worst of everything.

I like a 12v as much as the next guy, but if you don't like the emissions systems on a newer Dodge, maybe it's time to look at a different truck?

Do you need a Diesel? If mileage and fuel cost is a major factor in your purchase, maybe it's time to look at gas?

I know one thing, If I didn't have a 35' trailer to haul around for the business, there is NO F***ing WAY I am beating my guts out in a dually just to look good, or say I have a diesel...I just don't care anymore.

1/2 tons these days will haul what an old 3/4 ton would, will stop better, drive straight after 200K, and the gas (in a Chevy) will get high teens to low 20's for mileage. They also don't rattle the brains out of your kids in the back seats.

I have a 2010 6.7 deleted with 150K, been a good truck once I got the headgaskets solved with good tuning. I also have a 2007 6.7 with 455K on it, I've only put about 10K on it, and it's only been deleted since I've owned it...again, it's been a good truck so far, but I just dropped $4K on the front end and steering to make it drive again.

One more thing to remember...you're not going to hear how happy everyone is with their trucks on forums like this...you're going to hear the problems, and the big power stories. They sell a hundred thousand of each make a year, and there are what, 30K members here across all makes? Catch my drift?

Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Jeff Mumau @ Mumau Diesel Service
Rip @ Source Automotive
Don Thuren @ ThurenFab Suspension
Columbus Diesel Supply

Old 03-03-2017, 10:45 AM   #10
Chris Tobin

Name: Chris Tobin
Member`s Gallery
I was in a similar place with my 2006 VW Jetta TDI. Thanks to the VW Cheating fiasco the value of pretty much any VW diesel has tanked and last year mine was close to due for a timing belt again (and possible cam/lifters and such as it is a PD engine that is poorly designed) and the car was due for tires soon too and at close to 190,000 miles it really wasn't very comfortable any more and there was a trunk leak that I hadn't figured out yet and the stupid VW driver door wire harness was in need of repair too...

So it was nickel and diming me and due for a couple thousand in repairs, so after thinking long and hard on it I decided it was best to let her go and get a CPO 2015 Cruze Diesel. Man, the new car is sooo much more comfortable and much nice all the way around features wise. I don't like having a car payment again (the VW was paid off) but it sure is nice to have the peace of mind of a new(er) car and I am happy with my decision. The only thing I miss from the VW is the brake upgrade I did, and I have the parts to upgrade the Cruze so it should be fine once I finish that!!!

Just my 2 cents, but if you are driving it every day or your wife is, you will probably be happy in a new(er) truck than your old one that is having issues with more on the horizon. Getting a few years of happiness might be worth the payments!!!

Freelance Editor and Photographer
Working with DIESEL WORLD, DIRT SPORTS, MUSCLE CAR POWER & STREET TRUCKS magazines
tobinemail@aol.com
I might be able to help get you in a mag.
Custom poster size photos available. PM or email for info.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:19 AM   #11
Cummins610

Name: Cummins610
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Buy a used 2010+ truck that has already been deleted, run it on a 60hp level and it will last a long time. Any generation between your 12v and a 4th gen is a waste of your money in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-03-2017, 12:34 PM   #12
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
d
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
You throw $55k at a first gen and you'll be broke and have a truck worth $15k. It's no different than people remodeling old houses. Burn through cash and still have an old house with old house issues. Everything has a useable life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signature600 View Post
That sounds like the worst of everything.

I like a 12v as much as the next guy, but if you don't like the emissions systems on a newer Dodge, maybe it's time to look at a different truck?

Do you need a Diesel? If mileage and fuel cost is a major factor in your purchase, maybe it's time to look at gas?

I know one thing, If I didn't have a 35' trailer to haul around for the business, there is NO F***ing WAY I am beating my guts out in a dually just to look good, or say I have a diesel...I just don't care anymore.

1/2 tons these days will haul what an old 3/4 ton would, will stop better, drive straight after 200K, and the gas (in a Chevy) will get high teens to low 20's for mileage. They also don't rattle the brains out of your kids in the back seats.

I have a 2010 6.7 deleted with 150K, been a good truck once I got the headgaskets solved with good tuning. I also have a 2007 6.7 with 455K on it, I've only put about 10K on it, and it's only been deleted since I've owned it...again, it's been a good truck so far, but I just dropped $4K on the front end and steering to make it drive again.

One more thing to remember...you're not going to hear how happy everyone is with their trucks on forums like this...you're going to hear the problems, and the big power stories. They sell a hundred thousand of each make a year, and there are what, 30K members here across all makes? Catch my drift?

Chris

Good advice, the best advice is ask "do I really need a diesel?" Most 1/2 ton gassers are getting near 20 MPG now, will go for 200K plus easily.

I have thought many a time about selling my 08 since I am lucky to put 2K miles a year on it, but I realize I need a truck and this one is paid for and has less than 85K on it. It should last me a good while.
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 03-03-2017, 12:59 PM   #13
zfaylor

Name: zfaylor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zstroken View Post
d

Good advice, the best advice is ask "do I really need a diesel?" Most 1/2 ton gassers are getting near 20 MPG now, will go for 200K plus easily.

I have thought many a time about selling my 08 since I am lucky to put 2K miles a year on it, but I realize I need a truck and this one is paid for and has less than 85K on it. It should last me a good while.
This x1000. I love diesels but if something nickel and diming you to death is a concern then I certainly wouldn't own one.

North American Turbo

Old 03-03-2017, 01:44 PM   #14
maxwedgehead

Name: maxwedgehead
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins610 View Post
Buy a used 2010+ truck that has already been deleted, run it on a 60hp level and it will last a long time. Any generation between your 12v and a 4th gen is a waste of your money in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you don't want a new truck off the lot do this, fourth gens are awesome, only way to go.
2009 CCSB 6.7L

Old 03-03-2017, 01:46 PM   #15
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zfaylor View Post
This x1000. I love diesels but if something nickel and diming you to death is a concern then I certainly wouldn't own one.

And factor in 3 gallons for an oil change, more expensive tires etc, etc.
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 03-03-2017, 02:21 PM   #16
chevota84

Name: chevota84
Member`s Gallery
If you get a newer one, get a brand new one. For what people are asking for 2-3 year old trucks, you can throw in another 5k and get one off the lot with better interest rates. On the flip side, the half ton Chevy and ford's are getting around 20mpg and have 7000lb tow ratings, turn the key and go.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Old 03-03-2017, 02:24 PM   #17
bigstacks95

Name: bigstacks95
Title: Diesel Doc
Member`s Gallery
I love my 4th gen G56, power is definatly off from the automatic trucks but the exhaust brake is AMAZING. I would say go drive a 4th gen stick, you will fall in love with it. The Uconnect screen and stuff is really nice as well.

58 Dodge Power Wagon 3.0 Limited Pro Stock diesel pulling truck

2020 Ram 3500 HO/Aisin Laramie/night tow rig

Old 03-03-2017, 03:17 PM   #18
oldestof11

Name: oldestof11
Title: Drag racer
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zstroken View Post
And factor in 3 gallons for an oil change, more expensive tires etc, etc.
Compared to 1/2 tons yes but I've havent seen different tires on trucks just from engine choices.

Doesn't mean I'm right but I haven't seen it.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01BDC using Tapatalk

Old 03-03-2017, 04:16 PM   #19
Signature600

Name: Signature600
Title: THA MAN!
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldestof11 View Post
Compared to 1/2 tons yes but I've havent seen different tires on trucks just from engine choices.

Old trucks have 16-17" tires....new stuff 18-20" mostly.

Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Jeff Mumau @ Mumau Diesel Service
Rip @ Source Automotive
Don Thuren @ ThurenFab Suspension
Columbus Diesel Supply

Old 03-03-2017, 04:21 PM   #20
Chris Tobin

Name: Chris Tobin
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldestof11 View Post

E and F load rated tires are more expensive than D load rated tires of the same size and half tons are spec'd for D rated while Es are required for most 3/4 and 1-tons and some new ones are even going to F rated tires...

Freelance Editor and Photographer
Working with DIESEL WORLD, DIRT SPORTS, MUSCLE CAR POWER & STREET TRUCKS magazines
tobinemail@aol.com
I might be able to help get you in a mag.
Custom poster size photos available. PM or email for info.

Closed Thread