Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Sled Pulling
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Sled Pulling From Street to Pro-Mod, get your Sled Pulling fix here!

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 01:56 PM   #41
bubba2400

Name: bubba2400
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zstroken View Post
RPM limit or speed limit will not take money out of the class either. I guess it might take the overall cost down, but still will be $$$ used to get the top parts.
Very true, you will never end it completely. But the "need" for a new charger every year or half a year would be less important. If you have the same weight, hitch height and momentum as the other guys power doesn't play as big of a roll as it does now.

It will never happen at a national level and that is a good thing. But some of the lower tier, local organizations would probably gain some trucks if they went along those lines. Obviously teching all of it becomes an issue but will leave that for another discussion.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:42 PM   #42
SmokeShow

Name: SmokeShow
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DISTURBED View Post
So then it would be a clipped wheel protrusion charger?
Yes, I botched what I meant earlier... I assumed they'd be the same protrusion chargers just they'd open up the bores and no longer have a MWE groove.

I surely wouldn't want to see the stepped covers back in the game.

Since I mentioned the restrictor tubes... A stepped cover sure made a LOT more power than one without a stepped cover. Isn't that a similar situation/principal as the restrictor tubes - big ol' wheel behind a smaller hole? Makes me wonder just how small a diameter the restrictor would have to be to keep the power close to where 2.6 or 3.0 are at currently?

Has much research been done on these in a turbo class? diesel? Curious to read about it. Effective Diameters, entrance and exit shapes/styles/designs. distance away from the charger, etc.

IG: @_mitch_ratliff_

'14 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew, w/ 3.5L EcoBoost, bone stock

83 GMC K30 CC SB 4WD awaiting D/A chassis swap

Old 09-23-2015, 03:53 PM   #43
Yellow Jacket

Name: Yellow Jacket
Member`s Gallery
I own multiple 3.0 mwe groove high dollar Turbos, so we have spares if something goes wrong... I finally felt we were setting well to be competitive and consistent... And now I have 4 Turbos on my hands that aren't good for **** if they go smooth bore... I like the max OD rule on the MWE groove...truck pulling is f**king stupid, lol!!!
FASS 240, ProFab Dropbox/Rev, Crower 4 disc, FDS 75, Meritor Alum 20-145, Hart's 3"in charger, Exergy 400% Sticks

Old 09-23-2015, 04:31 PM   #44
97$moker

Name: 97$moker
Title: Hukt on fonix wurkt fr me
Member`s Gallery
^^^^ thats the kinda stuff that upsets me about it all. Lots of people have bought multiple turbos ccuz rules keep changing and theres gonna be a bunch of multiple thousands of dollar turbos they cant use. Im not a puller, just someone looking in so I dunno.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:13 PM   #45
nwpadmax

Name: nwpadmax
Title: Turbo Geek
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DISTURBED View Post
Isn't that considered a step cover which is illegal if the rule says smooth bore? Smooth means smooth no steps
Most people wouldn't call it a step cover if you simply make the bore 75mm and stick an 80mm inducer wheel in it situated rearward of the spec bore following the exact same contour. It would be "smooth" with no ledges or steps and no MWE, so I'm betting this is what will be tried.

You have to say the compressor inducer will protrude into the specified bore in the cover - or - tell everyone a max inducer size and check the wheel with a ring gage (and the housing with a plug).

Hope that makes sense.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:08 AM   #46
TCDiesel

Name: TCDiesel
Title: Home of the Gold Pumps
Member`s Gallery
This picture was sent to Me..Hmmmmm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Turbo .jpg (20.7 KB, 0 views)

Old 09-24-2015, 08:25 AM   #47
WI Huck

Name: WI Huck
Title: Where does the time go?
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCDiesel View Post
That would be fine if the "MWE" groves all around the opening were connected only into the 3.0 inch bore or whatever size bore is the limit. The problem is that those grooves probably allow air to the wheel outside of the bore and therefore makes the size of the bore that gets checked with the plug a non-factor. Show the back side of that cover and that will explain everything.

2003 Chevrolet Duramax Pulling Truck "Never Enough"
2014 Ram 5500 4x4 Pickup

BADGER STATE TRACTOR PULLERS
HUCKSTORF DIESEL

Old 09-24-2015, 08:26 AM   #48
97crewcab

Name: 97crewcab
Title: Wrong.
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Looks like the covers BD had a couple years ago. I think this part of the rule is supposed to address the picture, "A stock map width enhancement (MWE) groove must be inside neck area where intake cover is measured."
Just like many other rules, too vague. Maybe a max diameter like Weston mentioned would have been a bit better.

I haven't seen the haisley covers with the larger diameter MWE but ED made their center bore pear shaped to move the MWE out wider but still staying behind the wheel.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:50 AM   #49
ILLINOISRAM

Name: ILLINOISRAM
Title: INLINE INSANITY
Member`s Gallery
Turbo pics

Here are some cover pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (36.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (56.6 KB, 0 views)

Old 09-24-2015, 08:52 AM   #50
ILLINOISRAM

Member`s Gallery
Cover pics

Another.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (70.8 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by ILLINOISRAM; 09-24-2015 at 08:53 AM.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:55 AM   #51
ILLINOISRAM

Member`s Gallery
One more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (58.4 KB, 0 views)

Old 09-24-2015, 09:01 AM   #52
jones95runner

Name: jones95runner
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WI Huck View Post
That would be fine if the "MWE" groves all around the opening were connected only into the 3.0 inch bore or whatever size bore is the limit. The problem is that those grooves probably allow air to the wheel outside of the bore and therefore makes the size of the bore that gets checked with the plug a non-factor. Show the back side of that cover and that will explain everything.
As vague as the ppl rules is now..... there ain't nothing that says that cover isn't legal.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:11 AM   #53
Smokem

Name: Smokem
Title: Turbler
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
A turbo similar to that failed tech at Hillsboro and Scheid, and there are designs that make more power and are legal.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:48 AM   #54
jones95runner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokem View Post
A turbo similar to that failed tech at Hillsboro and Scheid, and there are designs that make more power and are legal.
On a serious note. How can they say it is not legal. Is there some where that defines the "neck" area of a turbo? Because to me the neck is what sticks out off the cover that allows you to put a filter, shut off, or hose whatever you would like. I understand that they say up to techs official discretion, but ppl asks for this chit the way they write rules.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:51 AM   #55
TCDiesel

Name: TCDiesel
Title: Home of the Gold Pumps
Member`s Gallery
I've played the Turbo game equal to everybody else Spent $10s of thousands on Turbos, If PPL wants to eliminate any guessing just simply supply the mold for the intake ,If it don't fit that's it, You're going home early, No grove, Max outside diameter, and intake depth, You can do whatever you want with the wheel and exhaust side. The restriction will be controlled on the intake side.

Smokem, They Should have brought Back up turbo for Scheids, I Know who you are talking about, When it failed at Hillsboro that was a tip it was going to fail at Scheids. Went home early because of it, I would have like to see them Pull.

I believe that's what Nascar restrictor plates are provide for all the national events except for maybe a few.

Truck pulling is even more (IMO) complicated then Nascar, Decisions is what makes a champion. Example : Friday Night at Sheids Chris/Wesley CK pulled just before Shane Kellogg Trump, CK went 288' and died ,Yep guess were Shane put cone Same spot as CK Double pack at end of track and a nice hard pack form 250" Trump wins By a foot over Sheids. That's not luck that's dam good decision making at the biggest event of the year.

Last edited by TCDiesel; 09-24-2015 at 09:53 AM.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:55 AM   #56
Smokem

Name: Smokem
Title: Turbler
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jones95runner View Post
On a serious note. How can they say it is not legal. Is there some where that defines the "neck" area of a turbo?
Where the width of the MWE groove is measured must be behind/below the compressor wheel nut.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:09 AM   #57
jones95runner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokem View Post
Where the width of the MWE groove is measured must be behind/below the compressor wheel nut.
If you don't mind could you show me were to find where it says that because I sure can't find it. Lol

Old 09-24-2015, 10:11 AM   #58
jones95runner

Member`s Gallery
Screenshot_2015-09-24-10-03-20.jpg

Old 09-24-2015, 10:12 AM   #59
jones95runner

Member`s Gallery
Screenshot_2015-09-24-10-02-55.jpg

Screenshot_2015-09-24-10-04-10.jpg

Old 09-24-2015, 10:45 AM   #60
jones95runner

Member`s Gallery
And to all the people that say smooth bore is the best and only option. Why does ppl super farm still run mwe covers and why did ntpa just go back to mwe covers from smooth bore?

How are they restricting power? .......Turbine (frame size) limits

Closed Thread