Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > Diesel Conversions
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Diesel Conversions Powerplant swaps, Repowers, etc.

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 11:59 AM   #1
astonT56

Name: astonT56
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Clutch fan

Anyone with get their stock CR clutch fans to work in their Ford pickups? I have a 99 F350 (was V-10) with an 03 CR and 4R100. Engine stays cool, but trans temp and AC pressures climb in traffic or idle. I know some folks are using different fans/clutch/shroud set ups with great success, but I'd like to keep the 03 fan clutch and shroud. Thanks for any input.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:12 AM   #2
astonT56

Member`s Gallery
Anyone ever try to run a potentiometer to the fan ground to make it adjustable when needed? Seen people run toggles to full on, but it would be nice to have more choices, even if it was a 3 or 4 position switch. Any idea how much resistance these fans need to start grabbing air? Thanks

Old 08-03-2017, 12:30 PM   #3
hot rod4

Name: hot rod4
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
As far as I know the electric/viscous fans are PWM controlled meaning its not like on or off. As far as the trans are you using the radiator and air to air trans cooling? On the A/C side which module is controlling the compressor? If not using the cummins side it never sees command the clutch to come on and I believe they monitor high side pressure as well. If you have the room mount a small electric fan on the front of the condenser to push air through. With my 6.0 radiator I think I could lose the engine fan, thinking about going electric for lack of A/C at idle reasons as well.

Totaled-2015 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ, LML CCSB 4x4

Sold-2003 F250 CCSB 4x4 24V-G56 DFI 7x0.10 sacs, Adrenaline, CAT turbo, #110 springs

Old 08-03-2017, 04:24 PM   #4
astonT56

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot rod4 View Post
As far as I know the electric/viscous fans are PWM controlled meaning its not like on or off. As far as the trans are you using the radiator and air to air trans cooling? On the A/C side which module is controlling the compressor? If not using the cummins side it never sees command the clutch to come on and I believe they monitor high side pressure as well. If you have the room mount a small electric fan on the front of the condenser to push air through. With my 6.0 radiator I think I could lose the engine fan, thinking about going electric for lack of A/C at idle reasons as well.
I am using the factory air to air transmission cooler that was on the truck for the 4R100. The AC is controlled from the Ford truck side of things, so yes the fan has no idea when I turn on the AC. It still has the high pressure protection, I can hear it starting and stopping and it blows warm when I'm at a stand still in warm weather. I have given thought to adding an electric fan just for AC and transmission cooling, but I would rather try and make the engine driven fan work for me if I can, I know they can pull a ton of air. I have read on some of the dodge forums, guys were just running a toggle switch to ground out the fan to lock it up. From what Ive read it works great, but it's either on or off. Dawna over at Autoworld said they've seen it too with good success, you just don't want to leave it locked up all the time because it will burn the fan up. I spoke with a local shop about possibly using a potentiometer to manually regulate the ground, he seems to think it's possible, but would want to know what resistance the fan starts to grab more air. I'll keep everyone posted if I figure something out. Thanks for the input!

Old 08-21-2017, 11:23 PM   #5
rjustman

Name: rjustman
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Buy a gos fan hub adapter and a hayden 2835 fan clutch..can keep your fan blade and shroud, it's a mechanical fan setup, works great. Cut all that electronic crap out..

Old 02-17-2018, 09:47 PM   #6
astonT56

Member`s Gallery
Thanks. I will probably go that route. Rather do that than run an electric fan just for AC.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:02 AM   #7
NEVRNF

Name: NEVRNF
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjustman View Post
Buy a gos fan hub adapter and a hayden 2835 fan clutch..can keep your fan blade and shroud, it's a mechanical fan setup, works great. Cut all that electronic crap out..
I fought with the OE fan and could never get it to do what i wanted. It finally locked up and destroyed the radiator. I tried electrics and it was horrible for A/C but never had any overheating issues. I switched to the GOS hub and have not even thought about my cooling system since. A/C works decent sitting in traffic. Not perfect but way better than anything previously. I also switched to a 6.0 radiator and shroud.
02 Ford Excursion 03 5.9 CR conversion, F1 cam, springs & stg II sticks, ATS Dual Cp3, Floor it pump kit, Air Dog, Garrett stg3 from Turbo Re-Source, BTS trans, Destroked Adapters, PCS Trans Controller, Hypermax Intercooler,EFI Live by Cummins Tuner, 8 lift and 38" tires

Closed Thread