'96 Auto Power limitation?

How much power can a bone stock automatic handle? I might be tweaking a couple here soon that just want a little more power for pulling trailers and what-not. I was thinking about just grinding a #10, setting it at 3/4, and blocking off the wastegate. Sound good to you guys? Thanks

my trans held up fine with a 100 plate full back, I put in a 0 alittle back of center and slipped the converter at about 55mph on the way up to the diesel extravaganza last year. tranny had about 50K on it.

Well a 100 plate about 3/4 back would probably be about the limit. My stocker took the 100 plate full back no problem while empty but the TC hated towing with that set up (WG disconnected too). A $100 trans-go shift kit might be a good investment if they really want to feel a difference. That alone would make the truck feel a little stronger and make the stock trans hold up a lot longer.

I have heard that you can turn up the line pressure from the stock valve body somehow, like a screw or something on the VB itself, no sure tho.Might be worth lookin into.

I destroyed my transmission with a zero plate and 4k kit.It had a valve body and converter done too.Everything was basically worn out to the max and I wrecked the output shaft,but it wasnt broken .Never towed or did a boost launch

Mine with a transgo shift kit would hold a 0 plate full forward, and a set of 3k springs pretty good. I could slip it a little in overdrive, but I made many passes at the drag strip with that set up and drove it a couple years like that. It would run a 16.2 at 81mph with that setup, and I could tow with it no problem, I just had to be careful in overdrive. Id say with the plate set back to about 3/4 it would have been fine. I guess it all depends on how good the transmission is to begin with. My uncles stock 97 would only take a 100 plate about 1/4 the way forward before it didnt like it any more.

Eric

Back