Water in fuel light

ob1kobi

Does anybody know where this light comes from? I mean I know it comes from the sensor on the bottom of the factory fuel filter canister, but does it then go to the ECM or does it go to the PCM? Reason I am asking is my light started coming on today, but I don't have that sensor hooked up anymore. I have been having some other issues and I am wondering if my ECM or PCM could be going bad....

Thanks,
Ted

Mine has never come on. I'm assuning it goes o the PCM though Ted. What other issues are you having?

I lose my gauges in the mornings, and I have a code saying I am losing the 5 volt reference voltage (also goes through the PCM) which will cause you to lose your gauges, so I think the PCM may be going bad. Truck has been stumbling and dying alot lately also, so I think the VP is going bad again also. I have access to another PCM that I am gonna swap in tonight and see how it runs tomorrow morning. Oh, it only acts up in the mornings, never in the afternoons, which strikes me as odd.

Oh, I don't have that water sensor hooked up anymore either, thats why I was trying to trace it back to see where it went.

Batteries okay? When I had gauge problems it was a Camshaft sensor, and it worked intermittenly. Caused my truck to have a dead pedal. Any Codes?

Batteries still have the green eyes on them, and charge fine so I assume that they are good.

I always have all kinds of codes, cause we are always testing one thing or another on it, but the only one that we think really means anything is the "loss of 5 volt reference voltage" The gauges are intermittant, and the truck runs different when the gauges are not working, meaning the idle is different. Its just like it is when the RAD is turned on, if your ever seen/heard a truck idleing when that is turned on.

Never had a dead pedal issue, like you would when the VP or Cam sensor is going bad either, just a stumble, and if it happens at a time when your not "in" the pedal, it will cause it to die also.

Any guesses?

I have heard some folks talk about having the ECM or PCM "pinged" to make sure there is nothing wrong there (internally). You running a stock ECM?

Pinged?

No, its a marco ECM, one of the special ones meant to be stacked with a Comp. I have access to another PCM that I'm gonna try this afternoon though.

I was having the dead pedal and loss of gauges issues awhile back and was pulling my hair out trying to figure it out- a dealer re-flash of the PCM fixed these problems..... Don't know if this is the case with your truck Ted, just telling my experience.....

I appreciate the input, I'm not havign the deal pedal issue, but I do think that maybe the PCM is a little wacked. I'll report back tomorrow after I try another one tonight.

Thanks,

I'm almost positive the throughput for the water in fuel goes through the PCM. I'll have to agree that a reflash might cure the problem.

Not sure if the water in fuel light issues is corrected yet or not, but the issue with the gauges was corrected by swapping in a new ECM, the stumble was also corrected with this. The PCM swap didn't affect either, so it looks like I have a bad ECM. Sucks too cause it was a Marco ECM :(

Last edited:
Back