Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > General Diesel Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Tech Farm equipment, Medium Duty, Big Rigs, and other General discussion can be found in here.

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #41
dirty_max

Name: dirty_max
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn Down View Post
Im sure there are ways around it. I haven't been willing to loose my job over a flash file yet though...
haha i hear you there. i should have mentioned that a wash file oes exaclty that, wipes the ecm clean so ET just thinks you are trying to flash a new ecm. pretty handy to have around actually when you are trying to troubleshoot a bad ecm.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:10 PM   #42
Burn Down

Name: Burn Down
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty_max View Post
haha i hear you there. i should have mentioned that a wash file oes exaclty that, wipes the ecm clean so ET just thinks you are trying to flash a new ecm. pretty handy to have around actually when you are trying to troubleshoot a bad ecm.
I have one. Just never thought to try it on a re-rate... Lords knows my old c7 in the service truck could have used some help lol.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #43
HightechRedneck

Name: HightechRedneck
Member`s Gallery
Jeremy,

Let me see what the shop can do tomorrow. I have a feeling we can get something going.

Bagged 00 Jetta big turbo TDI - DRTY DZL
Bagged 03 Jetta Wagon TDI - DALY DZL

07 Dodge Ram Dually 12v swapped g56 - HULN DZL

ISSPRO GAUGES, XS BATTERY DÜRTY DZL PERFORMANCE

Old 09-06-2012, 06:59 PM   #44
dirty12

Name: dirty12
Member`s Gallery
I work for budweiser and we have 5 of these gutless pigs and would be curious to see if there was an easy way to get flashed ecms.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:09 PM   #45
greenthunder7.3

Name: greenthunder7.3
Member`s Gallery
not every dealership has wash files readily avaible to them. they try not to give them out for the purpose of what we were talking about before. you can blank an ecm and load whatever hp rated software into for free and without it being on record.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:15 PM   #46
dirty_max

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I have one. Just never thought to try it on a re-rate... Lords knows my old c7 in the service truck could have used some help lol.
just be careful who you tell that you have that file

Old 09-06-2012, 09:10 PM   #47
jfaulkner

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Member`s Gallery
No matter what factory cat flash file you put in the ECM it's going to be a turd. They're all tuned for emissions not for HP/performance. There is a 525hp RV file for a C13 but it has no torque and runs the same as the 430hp file. There is a 500hp European emissions file for the same motor and runs OK. There is NO HOT factory 3126 file!!

Higher HP files don't always run better. There are people who have flashed 1000hp C18 files in a C15 and they lose power. The problem is the C18 files have less duration because they are written for larger injectors. Without being able to crack open the flash files and bump the timing and the mod the fuel your wasting your time. There is no magic hidden 3126/C7 file on any of the Cat disks especially from any dealer. They always have the latest files written by Cat and all have been castrated to meet EPA rules. Dealers do not have the Pre-EPA files.

If you want it to actually run your going to have to call a place like PDI, Diesel Spec, Boost Engineering, Bullydog (C7 '02-'08 only) Or you can waste your money at Cat, been there done that. Not sure how long it will live but HP is not a problem.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:39 PM   #48
HidalgoGT

Name: HidalgoGT
Title: Tuned By Disturbed Diesel
Member`s Gallery
So who wants to turn my C15Acert to 600/2150? lol MXS64611. Hope ya find something Jeremy.
R.I.P Frankie

Old 09-06-2012, 10:13 PM   #49
jtfondy

Name: jtfondy
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Great lakes diesel may help.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:19 PM   #50
HidalgoGT

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfondy View Post
Great lakes diesel may help.
I know PDI will to , to a tune of 2150. Cat wants 399$ least the ones near me to turn it to 550/1850 Heavy Haul. Just kind of Curious if it can go higher or is that all the higher Cat will go.
R.I.P Frankie

Old 09-07-2012, 12:25 AM   #51
Burn Down

Name: Burn Down
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty_max View Post
just be careful who you tell that you have that file
lol, you will never guess who gave me that file...

Old 09-07-2012, 07:04 AM   #52
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HidalgoGT View Post
So who wants to turn my C15Acert to 600/2150? lol MXS64611. Hope ya find something Jeremy.
Quote:
I know PDI will to , to a tune of 2150. Cat wants 399$ least the ones near me to turn it to 550/1850 Heavy Haul. Just kind of Curious if it can go higher or is that all the higher Cat will go.
I have a friend who has all the good factory flash files from the C6.6 to the C32. I asked about flashing my 475 MXS with the 625hp file and he said "yes but it won't run better and will drink fuel". He's the one that explained to me which files work and which files don't.

Cat won't flash your 475 above 550 because to meet the emission standards you have to swap pistons, injectors and the top charger on a MXS to go above 600/625hp. Swapping these parts do NOTHING for performance it's all to make the EPA happy. You can easily get 900hp with just the 475 parts you have now. To get above that it's just an injector swap and a hotter tune.

Also most of the "heavy haul" files just give you more RPM, like 2300 instead of 2100. There is no added fuel vs the normal 550 flash. With an Acert you have no other option other than aftermarket. You can't change injector trim codes on an acert either, if anyone tells you otherwise they have no idea what they're talking about.

If your near Ohio I've got two tuned 6NZ's and a tuned MXS Acert you can drive that will settle the discussion. I strongly suggest if your MXS has not been re-flashed since it was new DO NOT have Cat flash it. I guarantee you it will run worse with the "new" 550hp file than it does with the 475 file that's in it! Set 1/2 of your $399 on fire, you'll be better off.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:17 AM   #53
DISTURBED

Name: DISTURBED
Title: YEA WE RIDE THE SHORT BUS
Member`s Gallery
I just got off the phone with diesel freak. Who is the brother to the guy who won 2.6 at SDX on saturday. He said that its $500 for a US tune or if he can get it a Australian tune for 800. The Australian tune runs a lot better then the US one does. 9897484145

01 CTD Retired sled puller, dedicated "Twin Turbo" tow rig
96 CTD "TOO" Disturbed 3.0 - Built by Disturbed Diesel Performance
96 CTD "The Sickness" 2.6/2.8- Built by Disturbed Diesel Performance

Old 09-07-2012, 04:32 PM   #54
HidalgoGT

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
I have a friend who has all the good factory flash files from the C6.6 to the C32. I asked about flashing my 475 MXS with the 625hp file and he said "yes but it won't run better and will drink fuel". He's the one that explained to me which files work and which files don't.

Cat won't flash your 475 above 550 because to meet the emission standards you have to swap pistons, injectors and the top charger on a MXS to go above 600/625hp. Swapping these parts do NOTHING for performance it's all to make the EPA happy. You can easily get 900hp with just the 475 parts you have now. To get above that it's just an injector swap and a hotter tune.

Also most of the "heavy haul" files just give you more RPM, like 2300 instead of 2100. There is no added fuel vs the normal 550 flash. With an Acert you have no other option other than aftermarket. You can't change injector trim codes on an acert either, if anyone tells you otherwise they have no idea what they're talking about.

If your near Ohio I've got two tuned 6NZ's and a tuned MXS Acert you can drive that will settle the discussion. I strongly suggest if your MXS has not been re-flashed since it was new DO NOT have Cat flash it. I guarantee you it will run worse with the "new" 550hp file than it does with the 475 file that's in it! Set 1/2 of your $399 on fire, you'll be better off.
My 475 runs damn good so it must be the original program. So can your budy turn it to 550/ and maybe 2150 tq with the old good files?
R.I.P Frankie

Old 09-07-2012, 04:33 PM   #55
HidalgoGT

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DISTURBED View Post
I just got off the phone with diesel freak. Who is the brother to the guy who won 2.6 at SDX on saturday. He said that its $500 for a US tune or if he can get it a Australian tune for 800. The Australian tune runs a lot better then the US one does. 9897484145
What will that turn yours to?
R.I.P Frankie

Old 09-07-2012, 05:42 PM   #56
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
My 475 runs damn good so it must be the original program. So can your budy turn it to 550/ and maybe 2150 tq with the old good files?
There is no old files for an MXS. All the Acert files are crap. The only engines that have pre-EPA files available are the 40 and 70 pin ECM's which ended in early '04. All Acerts except the BXS are 120pin and the 70pin BXS's won't accept the older 70pin non acert files.

Only way to fix an Acert is aftermarket either with BullyDog, PDI, DieselSpec, Boost Engineering ect. Believe me they run AMAZING tuned. The factory chargers are good for around 900hp and the bottom ends are bulletproof. 4 bolt rods and big bearings make a great platform for HP.
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by jfaulkner; 09-07-2012 at 05:48 PM.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:46 PM   #57
DISTURBED

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
What will that turn yours to?
He said he had to check. The secretary told him I had a 3406. So he did the research on that not the 3126 but he thought it was 370 hp was as high as he could go

Old 09-07-2012, 05:50 PM   #58
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DISTURBED View Post
He said he had to check. The secretary told him I had a 3406. So he did the research on that not the 3126 but he thought it was 370 hp was as high as he could go
I've been told but can't confirm that the Australian files don't compensate for altitude so you have to watch if running in the mountains, it can get hot.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:57 PM   #59
dirty_max

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
lol, you will never guess who gave me that file...
haha i bet i do know.... haha

Old 09-07-2012, 09:17 PM   #60
DISTURBED

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
I've been told but can't confirm that the Australian files don't compensate for altitude so you have to watch if running in the mountains, it can get hot.
He did mention if we did go that with the Australian route that i would need to watch the pyro that they can get hot. I have a Bullydog here that showed up yesterday. Im going to run it tomorrow and see how it does. If it doesnt seem to perform like i want i may send it to them and let them see what they can do. His comment was put a tune in the computer and the bullydog and it should really run.

Closed Thread