Cummins N14 problem please help

STROKETHISF350

I have a friend with kenworth that has a cummins n14 and it having an issue that apparently even the best can't figure out. Both ken worth and cummins have looked at the truck and can't diagnose it. What happens is the truck will run for a few seconds and then die, both cam and crank sensor have been replaced, the injection pump was replaced about 400 miles ago. This is a freak problem and happened over night, I figured someone here might have encountered this same problem or know of any possible solutions. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sucking air in the fuel system? Check valve at the ECM cooling plate can fail causing it to lose prime. It will continue to shut off as it pulls air each time.

That's assuming it's not something electrical. Any codes?

Make sure the 3 pin power and ground supply wires are wired directly to the battery with 15 amp fuses on each power wire. Some people like to cheat and hook it into the starter which cause issues.

Also could be losing key switch input. I've heard of key switches shorting out especially if there's a lot of keys on the key ring hangin on there.

Sucking air in the fuel system? Check valve at the ECM cooling plate can fail causing it to lose prime. It will continue to shut off as it pulls air each time.

That's assuming it's not something electrical. Any codes?

Not sure if there's any codes I would assume the other mechanics would have checked for them but they had no luck fixing anything and I do not have any way to check for codes. I guess this could definatly be a possibility I figured it's either fuel related or electrical considering for the few seconds it's running it sounds fine then dies

Had one do that exact same thing and it ended up being a cracked brand new fuel filter. Easy to check.

I have had this happen a few times..... In some cases the ecm might not be getting a signal from the crank or cam sensor 1 st time ..
2nd time was a bad ground ( occasionally this would happen, found bad ground inside wire that had been stabbed with a tester ) ..
3rd time was intermittent loss of power to ECM ....

Do keep us posted on this one ... curious what you might find

Back