Help with a 2001 squeak

2001cummins

Costly
So my 01 dodge has a squeak. It gets louder as I accelerate. When I let off the fuel it dies back down but can still hear it. The water pump isn’t weeping. I’m thinking tensioner pulley. My ac doesn’t work so could it be the ac clutch? I don’t want to just start buying parts and it not getting fixed.

A/c clutch won't usually squeak for very long. Tensioner would be my first guess, if you can hear it good at idle spray some brake clean on the pulley and see if it gets quiet.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Edit* Does it get quieter right as you chop it or as it slows down?

Does it get louder as you rev the engine, or only when you accelerate? Does it matter what gear you are in?

Weird. Load shouldn't change a belt squeak. I'd still try the brake clean on the belt and see if it gets quiet, that'll at least narrow it down.

Last edited:
I had a 93 that did that and it was the alternator, squeaked at idle and got louder when driving. Had a spare one from a 96 so I switched it and the noise went away, you could barely hear it when you spun it by hand also.

have you pulled the belt and spun every pulley individually?

one time i took a wire brush on a 4" grinder and spun each pulley with that to see what i could hear with the engine off.... might be worth a try?

I had a squeaking problem with mine. Turned out to be the dampner on the crankshaft. The rubber gets soft and starts to come apart. Would be worth checking if you have not found the problem.

Back